There are so many.
For the bad:
Probably all-time it would be the "Greatest Game Ever Played" -- the 1958 Championship Game vs. the Colts. It's the game that shot the NFL nation-wide and the Giants lost it in overtime (the only championship to end that way) on extremely bad referee calling. That was in the middle of a golden era where the Giants had Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry on the same staff, they went to championship games 6 times in 8 years (56, 58, 59, 61, 62, 63) and only won the 56 game.
In the modern era:
- 1978 "Miracle at the Meadowlands". Leading the Eagles and on course for the playoffs for the first time in 15 years, all they needed to do was hand off the ball and the game was over, victory in hand. Only the "Victory Formation" hadn't been invented yet. They hand off the ball to Larry Czonka, he fumbles, Eagles recover, win the game, Giants season torpedoed. However, this disaster was the catalyst that spurred the modern Giants -- after the season ended they brought in George Young as GM, he drafted Phil Simms, and brought in a new coaching staff that had Bill Parcells on it.
- 1985 - in the playoffs against the Bears they got DESTROYED, lowlight being the punter completely missing the ball in a kick and it's returned for a TD.
- 1988 - Jets knock 'em out of the playoffs
- 1989 - Lose in playoffs to an overtime stunner by Flipper Anderson on the first play
- 1993 - Playoff loss to 49ers. A last hurrah for Simms and LT, they went toe-to-toe with the Cowboys for the division in the last game of the season and lost. Cowboys got the bye and a home game, Giants had to play the 49ers on the road. Disastrous thumping and official end for two Giant greats.
- 1997 - Playoff loss to Vikes -- up by 9 points with 90 seconds left they lose the game and the team starts fighting with itself.
- 2000 - SB XXXV. After destroying the Vikes 41-0 in the NFC CG, they get destroyed by the Ravens 34-7. NOTHING goes right.
- 2003 - Playoff loss to 49ers. The "Trey Junkin" game. Giants up 24 points allow the 49ers to come back and are still in position to win the game at the end with a field goal. Snap is botched and the result is an incomplete pass but there was blatant holding downfield that should have given them another snap but the refs blew it, even got an official apology from the NFL for blowing the call. But the game still counted.
2005 - Home playoff loss to Panthers, 23-0. Complete no-show.
2008 - Home playoff loss to Eagles, 23-11. Complete no-show, blew #1 seed.
2009 - Last ever game at Giants Stadium. With the biggest assembly of Giants greats ever, and with playoffs on the line, you'd think they'd be motivated. Nope. 41-9 Panthers in another no-show.
2010 - Eagles game. Win this game and they lock up the division. Up by 21 points with 7:30 left and they lose the game. Onside kick, kick to Desean Jackson, game over. The following week against Green Bay playoffs are still on the line and it's another no-show.
I'm probably forgetting a few...
For the good:
- 1934 Championship Game -- the "Sneaker" game. At halftime they figure out to switch to basketball sneakers on the frozen polo ground field and that gives them the win.
- 1956 Championship Game -- A rout of the Bears and some would say the finest Giants team ever
- 1981 - last game of the season vs 12-3 Cowboys, they beat them and go to the playoffs for the first time in 18 years.
- 1986 - NFC Championship game. The 14-2 team destroyed the 49ers 49-3 and destroyed the rival Joe Gibbs' Redskins 17-0 in the NFC CG giving the home crowd ELATION of going to their first Super Bowl.
- Super Bowl XXI - Phil Simms was terrific (22-for-25 with two dropped passes) and the 2nd half turned into a coronation as the Giants win their first Super Bowl and their first championship in 30 years, 39-20.
- 1990 NFC Championship -- against 2 time defending champ 49ers they win a brutal slugfest and stop the first 3 peat in the Super Bowl era.
- Super Bowl XXV -- Defeated the mighty Bills in a tooth-and-nail game that hinged on time of possession and hard hitting defense. Last second field goal by Bills sails wide right.
- 1998 - Knock off the undefeated Broncos.
- 2000 - Fassel's "All In" moment. Removes Sean Payton from OC duties and guarantees playoffs. They go on a Super Bowl run and destroy the Vikings 41-0 in the NFC CG sending the Giants to their 3rd Super Bowl.
- 2001 - Strahan breaks single season sack record vs Packers (thanks to gift from Favre)
- 2005 - After Wellington Mara (owner, involved with the team since age 9 as a ballboy) died they came out emotional for once and destroyed the Skins 36-0 at home.
- 2006 - Eli's comeback agains the Eagles. Down 17 points they tie the game and win it in overtime.
- 2007 - Entire playoff run was magic
- 2008 - Beating Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh (they won SB that year), that's the last teeth-breaking slugfest this team has won.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few there too
- 2011 - Entire playoff run was magic
All 4 super bowl wins of course!
- 1986 - NFC Championship game. The 14-2 team destroyed the 49ers 49-3 and destroyed the rival Joe Gibbs' Redskins 17-0 in the NFC CG giving the home crowd ELATION of going to their first Super Bowl. That season was a dream come true for me.
The shut out against the Redskins at the Meadowlands was especially sweet.
Two losses that stuck in my craw were the collapse against the Eagles when ahead by 3 touchdowns and then going to GB and laying a big egg,, and the Flipper Anderson play-off game. Many other heartbreaks too numerous to mention.
After that game against the eagles it is a miracle I didn`t throw the TV through the window...
Worst: 1958 NFL Championship Game Balt Colts 23 NY Giants 17. Took me a month to get over that one. 1st OT game in NFL History. Gut wrenching loss on that cold afternoon.
Originally Posted by Rodgers12
Best: Feb 2008 the Hail Manning against the undefeated & heavily favored New England Patriots. Greatest feeling in the world after that win.
Trivia: Both Games the NYG QB's played their college ball @ Ole Miss. Charlie Connerly & Eli Manning.
For non-SB moments:
Worst: 2010 collapse vs Eagles. We were up by 21 points and I remember someone saying a collapse "could happen", as the Giants had overcome a 21 point deficit in their previous game vs Jacksonville. I was so disgusted I didn't even watch the GB game (and i'm kinda glad I skipped it), though I did watch the near-meaningless redskins game...
2008 playoff loss vs the Eagles. That team was one of the most dominant Giants teams ever. Then Plaxico goes down and we're left without any real WR. I can't even blame Hixon for dropping that pass in the end zone. Man is a fighter, but never really a #1 receiver. Plus we got Hakeem Nicks out of the deal... (he would NOT have been available at #32 in 2009)
2003 Junkin. We had shown some promise, but blew it all on stupid mistakes. Anyone asks why we need to pay a dedicated long snapper, I point them to this game.
Both of the recent SB runs have great memories of course.
2007: Beating the cowboys in the playoffs. They had swept us in the regular season, and had gone 13-3. Everyone was saying that destiny was on Dallas' side. But then something we all know now as a fact of life occured: Tony Romo choked.
2004: Eli's first career win. It was the last game of the season, Eli had done absolutely terrible and had not won a game since he took over the starting gig from Kurt Warner.
2000: Blowing out the vikings in the title game. If we hadn't shown up so flat vs the Ravens, that would have been an even more spectacular time.
1998: Beating the broncos who were then undefeated. With Kent Graham no less.
1997: I know this goes on the bad list for most people, but for me it was quite spectacular, since it was the first time I got to see my team in the playoffs since I first had any memory of following the team in 1994 (I was 6 years old)...
I was pretty upset when they lost Carolina in 06 and to the Eagles in the first round of the 08 season.
2000 NFC Championship.. 41-0. All I heard about was Moss, Culpepper and CC... Too much for the Giants D. Yeah.... Ok.
Trey F*ckin' Junkin... I think about that game and get so pissed.
Miracle in the Meadowlands II... Good lord.
damn you stole mine on both
Originally Posted by NYGisBallin
I remember a game in the 90's where the Giants and Cowboys went to overtime. If I remember right it was New Years Day and I remember Summeral and Madden doing the game. I think Dallas won with a touchdown in overtime or a game winning field goal. I remember Emmit running wild. I think it was 1995.
Best win is any time we beat the Cowboys so I can watch Jerry Jones get upset. Worst loss was niners game in '03