After seeing the Senior Bowl practices, I have a new sense of what I believe we should do. Resign Beatty and let Boothe walk in FA. Release Diehl, Boley and C-Web and restructure Canty and Baas. Here is the draft. I am predicting a comp 6th round pick for losing Aaron Ross:
1. Alec Ogletree - ILB Georgia - I think Ogletree can play the middle in Perry's D as he has the side to side speed that we would need here. He needs to work on getting off blocks better but that will come in time.
2. Khaseem Greene - OLB Rutgers - Two LBs in a row, well that is our team weakness. Greene has the athleticism to cover TEs and to mirror RG3 and whomever Philly brings in to run Chip Kelly's Offense.
3. Brian Winters - OL Kent St. - Meet our starting LG. Plug and play tough guy who will help the run game immensely and looked good in pass protection at the Senior Bowl.
4. Ricky Wagner - OT Wisconsin - I liked the way Wagner looked at the Senior Bowl as well. Another beast of a run blocker who held up well in pass protection. Will challenge for a starting spot with Brewer and Mosley and may the best man win.
5. David Amerson - CB NC State - I am predicting a slide for Amerson on draft day. His does not seem to have the hips to play CB in the NFL but is not good enough of a tackler to play Safety. His ball skills are undeniable though and we take a shot here.
6. Josh Boyd - DT Mississippi State - Boyd does not do anything great but is pretty solid in all phases. Also very battle tested from the SEC. Fits into the rotation on the DL.
6. Caleb Sturgis - K Florida - Tynes has been good for us but does not have the leg anymore to hit anything over 45. Also, do not want to pay a lot for a kicker. Sturgis has a big leg.
7. Justin Brown - WR Oklahoma - We have a decision to make next year between Cruz and Nicks. I don't think we can sign both. Brown has good size and is a good PR. If we lose Hixon, Brown can fill that role on specials and learn the offense for the next season.
I was hoping for one of Greene or Ogeltree. Lb need to be more physical without giving up speed. I wouldn't mind the draft bit think DT needs to be addressed earlier. But oline and lb a major upgrade need
I like this mock alot, 2 LBs & 2 o-linemen fills a big need.. Amerson in the 5th is great value
I would have no issues with this, but think there needs to be a DE involved. Cruz needs to be resigned this year, Nicks next!
I am basing this on the fact that Ojomo will get more time along with Tracy/Trattou. Tuck will still be here and Kiwi goes to DE, which limits the need for a DE in the draft. Opening day DE are JPP, Kiwi, Tuck, Ojomo, Tracy/Trattou. That is fine. DT is a much bigger issue on the line but grabbing Boyd and a FA signing like Alan Branch would help there.
Originally Posted by dannyboomboom1
I have us grabbing a DT in FA to help with depth. Someone like an Alan Branch who can play in the rotation.
Originally Posted by GOBLUE24
I actually like this mock quite bit.
Two linebackers who can't shed blocks, a tackle who probably can't stay at tackle, a corner who can't play corner, and a guard. Eh
Ogletree is on the bottom of my list for desirable first round picks so I'm ok with him.
I don't like doubling up on the LB in the second (we need a DE).
I highly doubt we double up on OL in the 3rd and 4th.
Chances are you'll see one LB and one OL taken in the first five picks. If we double up on any it will most likely be at the end of the draft or with our compensatory/supplemental picks.
Completely disagree with you here. The 2 LBs have speed and athleticism, which is something we do not have in our LB corp sans maybe Williams. Both of them do need to work on disengaging blockers but who comes out perfect. They have considerable upside. Winters is most likely a guard but would be a very good one. What makes you say Wagner cannot play RT. He has the size, nastiness and demeanor and his arm length was good enough I believe. He is an excellent run blocker and his pass blocking at the Senior Bowl practices was pretty good. Amerson I have going in the 5th round for crying out loud! He would be the BPA there and you figure out how to use him. This would be an excellent draft.
Originally Posted by slipknottin