+ Reply to Thread

Enigma's Mock 1.0 (Trade out of the 1st)

Even without Tannehill on the board, I could still envision a team looking to acquire our pick due to that particular team valuing a QB such as Osweiler, Weeden, or Cousins high on their board or perhaps they had a plan for Tannehill and it didn't work so they go to the backup. Teams do crazy stuff for QB prospects and even then, a team could not like what they have around their pick and prefer to trade up instead. Anyway, on to the main event.

In this scenario, we give the Seahawks our 32nd for their 44th and their 2nd next year. Considering the emergence of SF this year, it's hard to envision another team in that division winning the title and most likely their 2nd is another early to mid rounder. The extra 2nd rounder would also give us additional flexibility in next year's draft to possibly move up to acquire an elite prospect or trade for even more picks.

2nd (44th) - Doug Martin, RB, Boise State - A smaller but more compact type of RB, Martin has a skillset similar to that of Ray Rice. He's a tough runner between the tackles who can also be a weapon in the passing game in the flat and on screens. Not the fastest RB and needs work on pass protection but he could learn from Bradshaw who is one of the best RB's in that regard.

2nd (64th) - Orson Charles, TE, Georgia - Doesn't have the coveted size for the position but his versatility, speed, and tenacity can make up for that. Has deep threat ability and good route running. Should do well in a system with great #1 and #2 wide receivers.

3rd (96th) - Bobby Massie, OT, Ole Miss - Unlike Charles and his size, Massie is the perfect blend of height and weight for the tackle position around 6-6 and 325lbs. Great upper body strength and light on his feet. Even though we have young tackles in Beatty and Brewer, neither is guaranteed whether it's injury issues or just being unproven thus far. Plus we're going to need depth when we do the inevitable cuts of Kmac and Diehl.

4th (128) - Keenan Robinson, OLB, Texas - Robinson has a good combination of size and speed at the position to play either strongside or weakside. The ideal situation though would be for this kid to fill in at the SOLB spot in the event our DE's get dinged up and we need Kiwi there. Could be a future starter with Jacquian and Goff/Jones/Herzlich.

5th (160) - Donnie Fletcher, CB, BC - Fits the bill at 6 feet tall and just weighing in at 200lbs to qualify as a Giants cornerback :P One of the best run stopping CB's in this draft and a good zone corner, he lacks the experience at man but could learn it. If he doesn't work out at CB, he could convert to Safety like Rolle and become the #3 in the safety set Fewell loves to use. We have multiple CB's headed to FA anyway so drafting a CB can't hurt.

6th (192) - Donte Paige-Moss, DE, NC - Some will think I'm probably reaching here due to his character issues but I'm a sucker for quality pass rushers this deep in the draft. Good at playing the run, has great strength and can get to the QB from either the inside or outside. Lack the elite first step but hard to pass this kid up and not add him to our rotation.

7th (226) - George Bryan, TE, North Carolina State - Only in the event we fail to acquire a FA TE would I take this guy. He offers a similar skillset that Ballard provided with his hands and finding the soft spots in zone coverage. He's also one of the better blocking TE's in this draft.

Other alternatives for the 7th pick would be Chandler Harnish (QB), Darrell Scott (RB), and Andrew Datko (OT) in the event teams are wary of his injury.

I'll admit it's not the sexiest mock but I wanted to deviate from the norm of Allen and Fleener at 32nd and offer a scenario where we acquire a pick for next year. Feel free to praise or criticize.

Re: Enigma's Mock 1.0 (Trade out of the 1st)

I like it but when have we traded out of the first at draft time in the past?
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

I think you would have to put Orson Charles at 44, and Doug Martin at 64

Both would have to fall. I think Orson Charles will get picked in the 25-40 range, and Martin might fall if he doesn't light the combine up, but the kid is solid as a rock.

Would sh!t skittles if we landed 1-4.

[quote user="gmen0820"]I think you would have to put Orson Charles at 44, and Doug Martin at 64

Both would have to fall. I think Orson Charles will get picked in the 25-40 range, and Martin might fall if he doesn't light the combine up, but the kid is solid as a rock.[/quote]You make a great point about me possibly having the two in the wrong slot but I'm not sure I agree with him going in the 25-35 range. Allen and Fleener just offer more as complete TE's and are more polished at the moment.

In regards to Martin, I have to admit I'm a pretty big fanboy of his and imagine him sort of like a Tiki/Ray Rice hybrid who could kill it on screens but still carry the majority of the load and then we hit the defense with Da'rel Scott's beastly speed.

There were a few times I wanted to take a Guard but with the current depth we have now, I'm not sure one would get a good chance to crack the roster with Snee at RG and Petrus/Boothe at LG.

[quote user="Kruunch"]I like it but when have we traded out of the first at draft time in the past?[/quote] Never that I can recall but this would be one of the better years to do it. Having that extra 2nd could be a lifesaver for Eli's career in case the LT position hits the pooper next season and we could trade up for someone like D.J. Fluker from Alabama.

[quote user="TheEnigma"]
    In regards to Martin, I have to admit I'm a pretty big fanboy of his and imagine him sort of like a Tiki/Ray Rice hybrid who could kill it on screens but still carry the majority of the load and then we hit the defense with Da'rel Scott's beastly speed.[/quote]+1

Doug Martin is gonna be a stud.