+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mock Draft 2.23... outside the box!

Mock Draft 2.23... outside the box!

Round 1 -

Chandler Jones - DE, Syracuse.... with or without Osi the Giants defense is built on getting presser on the QB. Jones has the ability to play like JPP. Osi has one year left, Kiwi has one year left and Tuck is approaching 30. Need to revamp!

Round 2 -

Kevin Zeitler, OG - Wisconsin.... Perfect fit for the Giants O-line. Nasty player that reminds of Seubert, but more athletic. Boothe was serviceable and Petrus is mediocure. Zeitler will be an instance upgrade and starter.

Round 3 -

Ladarius Green, TE - Louisiana-Lafayette....Athletic Freak! He needs to improve on his blocking, but the guy is an instant weapon in the passing game. A lot of TE's coming out of college need to "improve" on their blocking, but the Giants coaching staff has shown to work wonders with player development.

Round 4 -

DeQuan Menzie, CB - Alabama.... under the radar guy that played phenomenal all season. A lot of teams were timid to throw at Kirkpatrick and for good reason. Which means that Menzie was working a lot. He did not disappoint and if you watch the National Championship game, he out played Kirkpatrick. He is an excellent run defender and the Giants need CB help.

Round 5 -

DeVier Posey, WR - Ohio State... super talented kid that was suspended for half the season. He is a flat out game changer and if he played all year, we would be talking about him in rounds 1-2. MM is most likely gone, Barden is done and Jernigan will be a nice player, but lets get a guy that can push him.

Round 6 -

Kirk Cousins, QB - Michigan State.... smart, tough Big Ten QB. Led Michigan State to a fantastic season. He will be a great addition to the Giants QB position and will pick up the playbook with ease. Carr has been a nice back up, but he is going to be 34 and for us to get a youthful guy in place, would be a smart option.

Round 7 - uggghhh

"Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

Re: Mock Draft 2.23... outside the box!

Cant really complain about the guys you have, although I am not sure i agree with where you have them.

I would be Shocked is Cousins lasts till that late. He had a good senior bowl week, too good to fall that low. I also think last year showed me that teams who need a Qb will reach for them. His game isnt perfect but he has a huge arm and the coaches like him. I think someone will take a chance on him prior to the 6th round, especially the last pick in the 6th.

Menzie is a good player. I agree he is underrated. My concern with him is his speed. He has a torn achillies in his past and has had repeated hamstring tweaks as well. I want to see him run well at the combine. People with torn achillies in thier past sometimes have a hard time recovering former speed and quickness. If not for that achillies injury, he would be talked about a lot more than he has been. Ive read a couple people question if he can break 4.6 40. If he can show them wrong, I would love him on this team.

Green is a guy who's stock is flying up this offseason according to a lot of people. However, he is still very small framed to play tight to the line(6'6 237). I think he will need to add 20lbs before he fits with what we do here. So it isnt just about learning to block, it is also about getting stronger and more physical. Hopefully he comes into the combine with a bit more bulk cause there is a lot to like about him both on and off the field.

Dont be surprised if the Giants grab two TE's in this draft. A nice receiving threat with Green and a guy like....

Kevin Kroger, TE - Michigan...solid all around game.

Matt Veldman, TE - North Dakota State.... huge target that wasnt much of a receiving threat in college. Could be a sleeper late.

2014 Draft:

[quote user="Shockeyitus"]

Dont be surprised if the Giants grab two TE's in this draft. A nice receiving threat with Green and a guy like....

Matt Veldman, TE - North Dakota State.... huge target that wasnt much of a receiving threat in college. Could be a sleeper late.

[/quote]

I agree 2 TE's is a very real possibility. Especially if they arent able to get any vets in FA.

I would add Cory Harkey to the list of guys we will examine. He is the best end line blocking TE prospect this year in my opinion. At 6'4 265 he is ready to line up tight to the line the second he is drafted. I also think at UCLA he was underused as a reciever and his upside in this area is undervalued.He is very athletic. He was also a very good student, which is important for TEs in our offense because they must understand not only complicated blocking schemes but also a complicated route running system. I dont expect a great 40 out of him come the combine, but I still see us having an eye on him.

Veteran

[quote user="BlueSanta"]Green is a guy who's stock is flying up this offseason according to a lot of people. However, he is still very small framed to play tight to the line(6'6 237). I think he will need to add 20lbs before he fits with what we do here. So it isnt just about learning to block, it is also about getting stronger and more physical. Hopefully he comes into the combine with a bit more bulk cause there is a lot to like about him both on and off the field.
    [/quote]

he just weighed in at 238 :/ still he is a freak specimen with those 34 1/2 inch arms!

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[/quote]

I agree 2 TE's is a very real possibility. Especially if they arent able to get any vets in FA.

I would add Cory Harkey to the list of guys we will examine. He is the best end line blocking TE prospect this year in my opinion. At 6'4 265 he is ready to line up tight to the line the second he is drafted. I also think at UCLA he was underused as a reciever and his upside in this area is undervalued.He is very athletic. He was also a very good student, which is important for TEs in our offense because they must understand not only complicated blocking schemes but also a complicated route running system. I dont expect a great 40 out of him come the combine, but I still see us having an eye on him.
    [/quote]

Agreed! Harkey is a guy that could be a solid all-around pro. Nothing flashy about his game, but UCLA's offense was pathetic. No QB, No Running game and No Offensive line! If he can prove to be a smart kid with decent athletic ability, he could bea quiet option.

2014 Draft:

[quote user="BlueSanta"]Cant really complain about the guys you have, although I am not sure i agree with where you have them.

I would be Shocked is Cousins lasts till that late. He had a good senior bowl week, too good to fall that low. I also think last year showed me that teams who need a Qb will reach for them. His game isnt perfect but he has a huge arm and the coaches like him. I think someone will take a chance on him prior to the 6th round, especially the last pick in the 6th.

Menzie is a good player. I agree he is underrated. My concern with him is his speed. He has a torn achillies in his past and has had repeated hamstring tweaks as well. I want to see him run well at the combine. People with torn achillies in thier past sometimes have a hard time recovering former speed and quickness. If not for that achillies injury, he would be talked about a lot more than he has been. Ive read a couple people question if he can break 4.6 40. If he can show them wrong, I would love him on this team.

Green is a guy who's stock is flying up this offseason according to a lot of people. However, he is still very small framed to play tight to the line(6'6 237). I think he will need to add 20lbs before he fits with what we do here. So it isnt just about learning to block, it is also about getting stronger and more physical. Hopefully he comes into the combine with a bit more bulk cause there is a lot to like about him both on and off the field.
    [/quote] Ya, i hope the Giants don't base everything they do with Recieving TE's, on what travis beckum has done.. Beckum is only one player, and there is no telling yet, if hes just a somewhat bust, or if it really was the system.. I love Ladarious Green in the Late rd 3 area, and would actually be very satisfied if he were the pick, especially if were to lose mario manningham, as green should be able to pick up some of the receptions and td's lost with mario.. Plus, we could have a nice 1-2 punch with Ballard and Green if it were to be the case, with balllard serving as the underneath guy and blocker, and Green being the guy who can be a bigmismatch on most lb's and even safety's... Also, we could run some double TE sets in the redzone which would be a nice wrinkle to have...

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[/quote]

[/quote] As far as the FA market, i would not be opposed to bringing inVisanthe Shiancoe for a 2yr contract.. U bring in Shiancoe and draft a Ladarious Green, Dwayne Allen, or Fleener, and now the positon is a certain strength... Shiancoe would really bolster our run game, with his great blocking, and i have a feeling, he'd have a career yr recieving with ELI throwing em the ball..

Other TE's i think are certainly intriguing are George Bryan(fits giants mold of Te perfectly), Brian Linthicum(some serious potential in the right system), David Paulson(bigtime effort player, who can catch, and i see some ed ****son in him), and Nick Provo(gotta feeling hes gonna make a team and you'll here about him doing good things down the line)

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[/quote]

[/quote] As far as the FA market, i would not be opposed to bringing inVisanthe Shiancoe for a 2yr contract.. U bring in Shiancoe and draft a Ladarious Green, Dwayne Allen, or Fleener, and now the positon is a certain strength... Shiancoe would really bolster our run game, with his great blocking, and i have a feeling, he'd have a career yr recieving with ELI throwing em the ball..

Other TE's i think are certainly intriguing are George Bryan(fits giants mold of Te perfectly), Brian Linthicum(some serious potential in the right system), David Paulson(bigtime effort player, who can catch, and i see some ed ****son in him), and Nick Provo(gotta feeling hes gonna make a team and you'll here about him doing good things down the line)

[/quote]

I would love to see Shiancoe back in Big Blue... Solid veteran that can provide some stability to our offense. If we grab a guy like Green in round 3, this give him time to learn and develop.

As far as the other options for TE.... Linthicum has been talked about a lot lately. Nick Provo is a guy that i really like out of Syracuse. He catches everything!

2014 Draft:

Menzie was the best CB at Alabama in 2010. Which seems like it was like 6 months after the torn achiles, which makes me think it wasn't too bad. He beat out a 5 star starter (that was highly touted for great speed) in 2011 to start for what was the top pass defense in the country. I'm also interested in his combine results but getting him in the 4th would be a score. He was only in his second year in the SEC so I think he's just getting better.

+ Reply to Thread