+ Reply to Thread

THREE AND OUT: NEW YORK COULD HAVE GIANT WR OPENING

THREE AND OUT: NEW YORK COULD HAVE GIANT WR OPENING

"Manningham moving on?:Not too far
    removed from his big catch in Super Bowl XLVI, Giants WRMario
    Manningham
    is a free agent and could consider greener pastures. In such
    an event, Big Blue could consider other options for a No. 3 receiver. Tops on the
    list could beRamses Barden, who has been buried on the depth
    chart but has shown some ability in very limited opportunities. Of course
    there’s also the draft and the potential to select someone likeMohamed
    Sanu
    from nearby Rutgers. If there’s one thing we learned from watching
    New York’s receivers this season, it’s that beingEli Manning’s
    third option doesn’t mean being unproductive. Manningham registered 523
    receiving yards and four TDs despite having his position usurped
    byVictor Cruz. Keep an eye on this position battle through the
    summer and into the fall — it could have some deep sleeper value depending on
    who emerges victorious.

Ravens in the WR market:After a
    disappointing, injury-riddled season from Lee Evans, the Ravens are on the lookout for another receiver to add to
    their stable. This season’s free agent class offers quite a few choices —
    fromVincent Jackson andWes Welker to
    Manningham and Laurent Robinson. The value ofAnquan
    Boldin
    andTorrey Smith could be directly impacted by
    which free agent(s) decides to nest in Baltimore. Smith was a breakout star
    early in the season, but lacked consistency. Meanwhile, Boldin is starting to
    see age and the effects of injuries catch up to him. Adding a playmaking
    receiver would be a boon toJoe Flacco and would take some of
    the pressure off Ray Rice.

Henne out, Flynn in?: One big
    hurdle toMatt Flynn taking over the Dolphins starting QB job
    appears to be cleared. Miami says it has no plans
    to offerChad Henne a contract
    when free agency begins.
    Henne’s season lasted just four games thanks to a shoulder injury that required
    surgery.Matt Moore took over and had a respectable season
    under center, but with new coachJoe Philbin coming over from
    Green Bay, it seems all but certain that the ‘Fins will pursue Flynn as their
    new signal-caller. For the sake of Brandon Marshall’s fantasy
    value, most owners are hoping Flynn is moreMatt Cassel and
    lessKevin Kolb."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Veteran

Re: THREE AND OUT: NEW YORK COULD HAVE GIANT WR OPENING

Interesting that the article totally failed to mention Jerrel Jernigan.

I think the coaching staff grew more confident in the kid as we saw him return kickoffs during the playoffs and was in there for our 4WR packages too.

Also failed to talk up devin thomas
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

I think actually we don't need to waste a draft pick on a WR. I think between Thomas, Barden and JJ someone will step forward just like Cruz did. Even if we have to platoon them for awhile
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

[quote user="miked1958"]I think actually we don't need to waste a draft pick on a WR. I think between Thomas, Barden and JJ someone will step forward just like Cruz did. Even if we have to platoon them for awhile[/quote]
    Agree 100%. We're talking about a 3rd WR here, our top 2 are already amazing. You don't need 3 amazing WR's. Between Thomas/Barden/Jernigan, I'm certain someone will emerge, much like Cruz did last year.

I personally have a hunch it will be Thomas, but we shall see. Jernigan has great speed and Barden has great height. Can't wait to see what happens in training camp.

Odell Beckham Junior: The future of the Giants

[quote user="miked1958"]I think actually we don't need to waste a draft pick on a WR. I think between Thomas, Barden and JJ someone will step forward just like Cruz did. Even if we have to platoon them for awhile[/quote]

That would leave only 5 WRs. Since Coughlin's been here, most seasons he starts with at least 7 WRs on the 53, including 1 or 2 of whom are primarily used on ST (like D Thomas, for ex, who during 1 1/2 seasons with us has been a major ST contributor, not a receiver so much).

Regardless of whether any of the 3 make it as "3rd" WR, next summer, we'll still be looking to pick up 1, probably 2, WRs in draft and/or FA.

And, as much as I hate to say it, I just cannot see Hixon returning next season, or even to football at all. Missing all but a game and a half during two consecutive seasons due to 2 different knee injuries, is an awful lot to overcome. Not just physically, which is difficult enough, but that second injury has GOT to be taking a heavy emotional toll on him.

Veteran

I think we should re-sign Manningham.

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="miked1958"]I think actually we don't need to waste a draft pick on a WR. I think between Thomas, Barden and JJ someone will step forward just like Cruz did. Even if we have to platoon them for awhile[/quote] That would leave only 5 WRs. Since Coughlin's been here, most seasons he starts with at least 7 WRs on the 53, including 1 or 2 of whom are primarily used on ST (like D Thomas, for ex, who during 1 1/2 seasons with us has been a major ST contributor, not a receiver so much). Regardless of whether any of the 3 make it as "3rd" WR, next summer, we'll still be looking to pick up 1, probably 2, WRs in draft and/or FA. And, as much as I hate to say it, I just cannot see Hixon returning next season, or even to football at all. Missing all but a game and a half during two consecutive seasons due to 2 different knee injuries, is an awful lot to overcome. Not just physically, which is difficult enough, but that second injury has GOT to be taking a heavy emotional toll on him.[/quote]

Good post! I can see a min vet signing as well as 1 if not 2 draft picks here to drive competition.

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="miked1958"]I think actually we don't need to waste a draft pick on a WR. I think between Thomas, Barden and JJ someone will step forward just like Cruz did. Even if we have to platoon them for awhile[/quote]

That would leave only 5 WRs. Since Coughlin's been here, most seasons he starts with at least 7 WRs on the 53, including 1 or 2 of whom are primarily used on ST (like D Thomas, for ex, who during 1 1/2 seasons with us has been a major ST contributor, not a receiver so much).

Regardless of whether any of the 3 make it as "3rd" WR, next summer, we'll still be looking to pick up 1, probably 2, WRs in draft and/or FA.

And, as much as I hate to say it, I just cannot see Hixon returning next season, or even to football at all. Missing all but a game and a half during two consecutive seasons due to 2 different knee injuries, is an awful lot to overcome. Not just physically, which is difficult enough, but that second injury has GOT to be taking a heavy emotional toll on him.[/quote]
    Unfortunately, I see it that way too. Too bad for Hixon, he was a good guy.
    Odell Beckham Junior: The future of the Giants

[quote user="Evo'Ed"]Interesting that the article totally failed to mention Jerrel Jernigan.

I think the coaching staff grew more confident in the kid as we saw him return kickoffs during the playoffs and was in there for our 4WR packages too.[/quote]
    +1. I'm not scared about MM leaving because I'd like to see what JJ or Barden can do with the opportunity, but I wouldn't be surprised if they took a WR high in the draft.