+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICAL 2012 NFL COMBINE THREAD (anything and everything combine)

OFFICAL 2012 NFL COMBINE THREAD (anything and everything combine)

Figured we better start a COMBINE thread as its underway, and gives us a spot to continue our combine chats...

First off, looks like people were dead wrong about Alshon Jeffery coming in at a supposed 240lbs or whatever the hell people were talking about..lol Dude came in at a impressive 6ft 3in 216lbs, which certainly helped him immensly..

On the other hand, Dwight Jones came in as the "alshon jeffery overweight" guy, weighing in a 230lbs! He better hope he runs a solid 40, because he'd all ready been dropping on peoples lists with a sub par Sr bowl and now comes in here at 230lbs.. He better be ready to run !

Re: OFFICAL 2012 NFL COMBINE THREAD (anything and everything combine)

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]

First off, looks like people were dead wrong about Alshon Jeffery coming in at a supposed 240lbs or whatever the hell people were talking about..lol Dude came in at a impressive 6ft 3in 216lbs, which certainly helped him immensly..

[/quote]

It weas a very fair question to ask cosidering his past problems with weight. I am glad to see him take the combine seriously though. Helps him immensely.

I'm surprised how heavy Orson Charles weighed in at 251.....The guys only 6'2" buts all muscle and is probably the most athletic TE in the draft.

I could see him being a devastatingly effective FB/H-back/TE/slot receiver at the next level. There are so many different looks you can give with that guy and really adds a unique dimension to the offense.

Right now I still have FLeener at #1, but imo when the combine is said and done Charles will have over taken Allen at #2

[quote user="juice33s"]I'm surprised how heavy Orson Charles weighed in at 251.....The guys only 6'2" buts all muscle and is probably the most athletic TE in the draft.

I could see him being a devastatingly effective FB/H-back/TE/slot receiver at the next level. There are so many different looks you can give with that guy and really adds a unique dimension to the offense.

Right now I still have FLeener at #1, but imo when the combine is said and done Charles will have over taken Allen at #2
    [/quote] ya, something as small as WT, has shifted my thought process on Charles alot actually... I'm a huge Dwayne Allen fan as well, and kinda wish Dwayne Allen had guys like Aaron Murray and Andrew Luck throwing em the ball, becasue i think people would definetly see the diffrence a good QB makes, and thats saying something, becuase Allen still did pretty well with Kyle Parker and then a Freshman throwing em the ball.. I think Dwayne Allen is still my number 1 TE, with Fleener and Charles coming in 2nd and 3rd, followed by Ladarious Green, who i think is gonna be something special as a reciever... Hes a guy who has room to gain weight, and big mitts and a ton of upside...

There is a bunch of good sleeper TE's as well, with guys like David Paulson, George Bryan, Brian Linthicum, and nick provo leading the way...

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[/quote]

It weas a very fair question to ask cosidering his past problems with weight. I am glad to see him take the combine seriously though. Helps him immensely.
    [/quote] Ya, coming in at 216lbs could've gotten Jeffery into RD 1 again, and if he runsa decent 40, will almost gurantee just that....

I'm also pretty high on Nick Foles as a QB, and man is that guy impressive stature... Dude has big old hands, and is 6ft 5in 243lbs! Foles had a real lousy team around em, but if u give this guy a yr or 2 with a solid coaching staff, i think you could end up getting a pretty solid NFL QB.. I like Brock Osweiler a bit better, but i like Foles alot.. I actually like Foles and Osweiler more then Tannehill, who i just don't like at all..

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[quote user="juice33s"]I'm surprised how heavy Orson Charles weighed in at 251.....The guys only 6'2" buts all muscle and is probably the most athletic TE in the draft.

[/quote] ya, something as small as WT, has shifted my thought process on Charles alot actually... I'm a huge Dwayne Allen fan as well, and kinda wish Dwayne Allen had guys like Aaron Murray and Andrew Luck throwing em the ball, becasue i think people would definetly see the diffrence a good QB makes, and thats saying something, becuase Allen still did pretty well with Kyle Parker and then a Freshman throwing em the ball.. I think Dwayne Allen is still my number 1 TE, with Fleener and Charles coming in 2nd and 3rd, followed by Ladarious Green, who i think is gonna be something special as a reciever... Hes a guy who has room to gain weight, and big mitts and a ton of upside...

There is a bunch of good sleeper TE's as well, with guys like David Paulson, George Bryan, Brian Linthicum, and nick provo leading the way...

[/quote]
    Its probably a good thing that Fleener isn't running at the combine because just by looking at his tape makes me think he'd smoke check Allen and Charles in the 40. Hes by far the best down field threat in this years TE class and its that type of athleticism that really separates him from Allen imo. To be honest, I'm really not that impressed with Dwayne Allen, I don't like his height or his speed and imo he looks like a 3rd round prospect.

Note: Fleener says he can run in the 4.4 range which would be faster then all the recent TE's other then Vernon Davis

[quote user="juice33s"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[/quote]
    Its probably a good thing that Fleener isn't running at the combine because just by looking at his tape makes me think he'd smoke check Allen and Charles in the 40. Hes by far the best down field threat in this years TE class and its that type of athleticism that really separates him from Allen imo. To be honest, I'm really not that impressed with Dwayne Allen, I don't like his height or his speed and imo he looks like a 3rd round prospect.

Note: Fleener says he can run in the 4.4 range which would be faster then all the recent TE's other then Vernon Davis
    [/quote] THe thing about Fleener, is when he wasen't making the big gainer, he was kinda the invisible man often, and thats with the best QB we've seen in yrs possibly, throwing to him.. Fleener had 7games this past yr of 2or less catches..

Dwayne Allen on the other hand is more complete TE, that can make the catch on the underneath short stuff, as well as get down the seam for a solid gain.. Dwayne Allen is pretty athletic, and has great leaping ability, which makes up for his somewhat shorter stature.. Again, Dwayne Allen played with probably a future 1st rd WR and a Freshman QB, and on top of that had Kyle freaking Parker, who sucked, throwing em teh ball before this past season.. I'm all in on Dwayne Allen.. Hes the complete package, and give him ELI as his QB, and skys the limit.. Fleener is a guy i like a ton as well, but he was either big play or nothing it seemed

[quote user="juice33s"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That whole downfield threat thing is a bit misleading. I like Fleener a lot, but I do not see him running 4.4. He is fast for his size no doubt, but not quick. He isnt quick off the line like Allen or Charles.

Furthermore, you have to take into account the system they played in. Fleener was in a pro style running offense. They would run, run again, run some more, then just when the safeties and LBs would cheat up, they would play action behind them to Fleener.

Allen, on the other hand, played in a passing offense with WAY more deep weapons than Stanford(qb aside). They had 1 of , if not the best deep threat in the nation in Sammy Watkins. Allen was not used to run deep routes as much because Sammy was. They would run DBs off with Sammy and slip Allen in underneath. Allen was also much more proficient as a hot reciever, meaning on blitzes he was the quick read dumpoff. Fleener was not asked to do this nearly as much.

But, just because Allen wasnt asked to go deep doesnt mean he cant. In fact, I havent seen anything that says he wouldnt be a marvelous deep threat. On the same note, Fleener may also be a fine hot reciever if asked to do so. Although I do think he isnt as quick off the line as Allen or Charles, but that might also be because he was always tight to the line and its harder to get a free release when you have a DE or backer right on you.

I'd have to respectfully disagree about Allen being more quick off the line than Fleener. I think if Fleener participated more at the combine he would have absolutely had a faster 10-yrd dash than any TE not named Orson Charles. Allen has good quickness off the line but it seems like defenders have success when they hit him at the line and get physical him (for arguments sake, that could be more of a technique thing). If he were so quick I'd like to see him elude press coverage more often.

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="juice33s"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That whole downfield threat thing is a bit misleading. I like Fleener a lot, but I do not see him running 4.4. He is fast for his size no doubt, but not quick. He isnt quick off the line like Allen or Charles.

Furthermore, you have to take into account the system they played in. Fleener was in a pro style running offense. They would run, run again, run some more, then just when the safeties and LBs would cheat up, they would play action behind them to Fleener.

Allen, on the other hand, played in a passing offense with WAY more deep weapons than Stanford(qb aside). They had 1 of , if not the best deep threat in the nation in Sammy Watkins. Allen was not used to run deep routes as much because Sammy was. They would run DBs off with Sammy and slip Allen in underneath. Allen was also much more proficient as a hot reciever, meaning on blitzes he was the quick read dumpoff. Fleener was not asked to do this nearly as much.

But, just because Allen wasnt asked to go deep doesnt mean he cant. In fact, I havent seen anything that says he wouldnt be a marvelous deep threat. On the same note, Fleener may also be a fine hot reciever if asked to do so. Although I do think he isnt as quick off the line as Allen or Charles, but that might also be because he was always tight to the line and its harder to get a free release when you have a DE or backer right on you.

[/quote] well said, pretty much exactly what i was trying to say... I like both enough, where i woulden't mind having either with our 1st rder, but i think Allen is what we need more, being that we need a guy who can consistently be open underneath when our outside weapons are covered, and on occasion Dwayne Allen can slip fairly deep, and with the muscular stocky frame, break tackles... I'm eager to see Dwayne Allens Vertical, because i've seen the dude get crazy ups on a few catches... I just feel like Dwayne ALlen is exactly the type of TE we need, all though, Fleener is pretty much right there with em.. Shoot, Orson Charles is putting on a show right now at the combine all ready, coming in over 250lbs, and Benching 35reps, which was easily the most by any TE... Fleener and Allen tied with 27reps, which was again, very solid... Ladarious Green only had 16, ugh...lol

+ Reply to Thread