+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why today's teams fail to repeat

First reason is the cap. How wonderful that the NFL set up sharing the wealth (of champion players) with a cap that prevents the winning SB team (especially) from keeping their great players.

Second-Free agency, another NFL "sShare the wealth" of players with incompetent teams that cannot draft if they stepped in front of an open window during a hurricane. More of the "spread the wealth mentality."

Third, not a bad one as it creates promotions, is the hiring away of the winning teams' coaches again because other teams are incompetent in their hirings.

WHo of us hasn't scratched our heads in amazement at some of the bone-headed hirings of other teams FO's? It's along list (JJ-Redskins-Raiders, Jets, etc)
    Last, maybe most important, the carrot is gone, the rabbit's been caught, motivation wanes, and SOME players ease up living off their SB win and then because of thast get hurt and out for the season

Re: Why today's teams fail to repeat

Free agency and the salary cap are the 2 biggest reasons. Just look at Manningham. He has a o.k. regular season but had a good playoff run and now he is going to get paid big money like a #1 WR and the Giants can not afford him because of the cap.

It's also to prevent consistent failures (usually smaller market teams) from ending up losing fanbase, revenue, can't sell tickets, going bankrupt, etc...

If you want to know a team that was single-handedly brought back to life by top-tier first-round draft picks, look no further than the once 0-16 Lions.

I hear ya, but it's the way things are going to be. It just makes the GM the most important person in the franchise, since he's the only one with some semblance of job security.

I happen to think that the salary cap has its problems, but is really a very good thing. It prevents teams whose ownership makes lots of money outside of football (Redskins come to mind) from outbidding owners who absolutely need to turn a profit with the team.

You seem not to be in favor of "spreading wealth". I guess you wrote the O.P. during a commercial of Fox News?? []

J/K. Good points, and let's hope Reese has a stellar off-season and maybe we can repeat!
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

Agreed. What is important I think is too bring a few good, hungry veterans each year to keep up the motivation. Can't do much with the cap and free agency but thankfully Reese has been doing a great job with drafts and FA's.

I kind of prefer it that way...it's what makes the NFL fun. I hate how lopsided the other major sports are.

The lack of a salary cap is why MLB is dominated by the Yankees, Phillies, and Red Sox... The Mara family way back when could have built the Giants into a Yankee-like franchise, but chose to favor the salary cap/revenue sharing system we have now because it made it more fair across the league.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

I don't see these things as a problem. Every NFL season is different which keeps the sport fresh and exciting.
    Look at the cap-less, money-dominated football (soccer) leagues which have the same handful of teams competing for the title every year. It gets incredibly stale if the team you support isn't backed by a billionaire oil baron.

All-Pro

Those can be problems, but they where not problem this year for Green Bay. If anything they where in a great position getting healthy this year.

The reason why it's so hard to repeat is because it's so hard to get there in the 1st place. Now you try to get there again the next year. Plus every team wants to take down the champ.

[quote user="Red Dog"]First reason is the cap. How wonderful that the NFL set up sharing the wealth (of champion players) with a cap that prevents the winning SB team (especially) from keeping their great players. Second-Free agency, another NFL "sShare the wealth" of players with incompetent teams that cannot draft if they stepped in front of an open window during a hurricane. More of the "spread the wealth mentality." Third, not a bad one as it creates promotions, is the hiring away of the winning teams' coaches again because other teams are incompetent in their hirings. WHo of us hasn't scratched our heads in amazement at some of the bone-headed hirings of other teams FO's? It's along list (JJ-Redskins-Raiders, Jets, etc) Last, maybe most important, the carrot is gone, the rabbit's been caught, motivation wanes, and SOME players ease up living off their SB win and then because of thast get hurt and out for the season[/quote]

so it comes down that you would rather have a few really good teams and an overall crappy league??....

Not me.....I would love to see the Browns, Detroit, KC, etc finally get in the big show.

You bring up good points where some teams dont have to "work as hard" because good players and coaches will fall into their laps at times. BUT>>>>>some of the smartest and most well respected owners created, voted for, and champion the FA, salary cap AND sharing the wealth. It protects the league as a whole. The NFL is a business and each team is a franchise. You have to have measures that insure each franchise can survive or the league will go to ****...

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch