+ Reply to Thread

GIANTS' MATHIAS KIWANUKA RIDING HIGH, LINVAL JOSEPH

GIANTS' MATHIAS KIWANUKA RIDING HIGH, LINVAL JOSEPH

"What a difference a year makes — at least for Mathias Kiwanuka. This time
    last year, the Giants linebacker was
    battling a career-threatening neck injury. He was so unsure of his future that
    he began a list of possible careers after football.

Now, the 28-year-old is celebrating a Super Bowl he won in his hometown of
    Indianapolis and has a baby on the way.

“There’s no way to describe it,” Kiwanuka told The Star-Ledger after a MAB
    Celebrity Services appearance in Franklin Lakes. “I’ve been blessed by god to be
    able to continue to do this. There’s no other reason why going all the stuff
    that I went through last year and then having the season go up and down, moving
    positiojns and all that stuff. I just keep the faith and keep believing. I
    believe God put me in this situation for a reason so I’m happy about it.”

After the Giants slipped into the playoffs on their final chance with a Week
    17 victory over the Cowboys, it was Kiwanuka who declared that the Giants were a
    Super Bowl team as they prepared for the Falcons in the Wild Card Round.

It was a bold statement that proved true, but even he’s surprised by how it
    all happened.

“Every time I look at the situations I think of how so many things had to go
    right to make it happen, but it did,” the linebacker said. “It shows that we
    always have a chance. It makes me look forward to next year. It doesn’t what we
    come into the season looking like or what we do during the regular season as
    long as we fight in the playoffs, we can always win it.”

The Giants front office and coaching staff is already looking forward to next
    year beginning with the scouting combine in Indianapolis and Kiwanuka, a X-year
    veteran, knows what to expect: changes.

“That’s what they’re supposed to do; that’s their jobs,” he said. “We
    understand that as players. Every year they’re going to try to get the bigger,
    faster, cheaper guys so we got to make sure we do our part to make ourselves
    more valuable than anybody who’s coming in.

“We just won the Super Bowl, but this a ‘what have you done for me lately?’
    and ‘what can you do for me now?’ business. We understand that. We got to fight
    every year. Everybody does.”

One of the decisions the Giants front office has to make is whether to extend
    Osi Umenyiora’s contract. The defensive end has one year left on his deal, but
    has voiced that he would like a new contract or a trade.

“It’d be tough (not to have Umenyiora),” he said. “I’m not even going to lie.
    People know what they hear about him in the media, but what they don’t realize
    is he’s one of the best teammates I’ve ever had. He’s one of the hardest workers
    that the Giants organization has ever seen so personally I would want him back
    at all costs, but if he goes somewhere else it better be for big money because
    he deserves it.”

Linval Joseph was on crutches with his left foot wrapped on Saturday after he
    had surgery to remove a cyst on his ankle Tuesday. The cyst had been on a nerve
    for four months and half of Joseph’s foot, including his toes, was numb for the
    duration but didn’t miss any games.

“When it first happened, I got it drained and it didn’t work so I just knew
    that I needed some time off of it to let it heal,” the defensive tackle said.
    “Now that the season’s over with and we won the Super Bowl, I’m glad I didn’t
    get it done earlier because everything happens for a reason. I’m just glad we
    won the Super Bowl and I got it removed. I can feel my toes and I just feel like
    everything’s going great right now.”

Rocky Bernard will be an unrestricted free agent on March 13 and wants to
    return to the Giants.

“I definitely want to be back,” the 10-year veteran said. “We got a good
    team, great front office, great coaches. Why wouldn’t I want to be back? We can
    go back-to-back.”

Bernard, 33 in April, hasn’t had talks with the Giants.

“If they want me back, I’ll be ready to go again,” he said. “We’ll see where
    it goes. I don’t really have any expectations. But we’ll see where it goes.”

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran

Re: GIANTS' MATHIAS KIWANUKA RIDING HIGH, LINVAL JOSEPH

Thanks for the update. I'd be surprised if they resigned Bernard, especially with the Austin kid returning from injury.

That's the difference between a # 1 pick who missed Eli's 1st SB with an injury. Didn't get pissy and walk away from the team. ( Like a former 1st RDer who will be nameless, but not blameless ). Good for you Kiwi.

[quote user="NY_Eli"]Thanks for the update. I'd be surprised if they resigned Bernard, especially with the Austin kid returning from injury.[/quote] I wouldn't expect much from Austin this year..

I know he has been out of football for two years but u never know. Be cool to see him and chad jones both get playing time and make team
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Jeez that Linval surgery sounds crazy. Im surprised he played though it.