+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN BELIEVES BALLARD'S CATCH AGAINST PACKERS WAS A TOUCHDOWN

GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN BELIEVES BALLARD'S CATCH AGAINST PACKERS WAS A TOUCHDOWN

Excerpt: "A day later, Tom Coughlin was nauseous.

Not about his team’s effort in the Giantsloss
    to the Packers
    . Rather, about a replay challenge he believes he should’ve
    won when tight end Jake Ballard was ruled out of bounds on a pass in the end
    zone. The officials upheld the call on the field and the Giants settled for a
    field goal. It was 10-7 instead of 14-7.

“I just saw a picture that made me sick to my stomach, which Fox produced and
    showed he’s in,” Coughlin said today. “Don’t ask me about that because I really
    don’t know why, but I did see the picture.”

I don’t know if this
    is the picture he’s talking about
    , but it certainly makes matters
    interesting.

As I mentioned in my
    game review
    , there was one angle Fox showed from behind Ballard in which it
    appears the bottom of his knee pad hits in the blue paint of the end zone before
    sliding into the white of the sideline. Fox didn’t show that replay until the
    Giants had already challenged the play, so it’s unclear if someone on the
    coaching staff had that information.

“I challenged the Ballard thing. No question about that one,” Coughlin said.
    “I wasn’t going to not challenge that and have somebody tell me, ‘You know he
    was in?’ As I said, the one on the sideline I was upset, I really was, because
    it was third-and-3 and I thought we had them stopped.”

That was a 7-yard catch by Donald Driver, who got both feet down before his
    backside hit.

“The second one, I really shouldn’t have challenged. It was right on our
    sideline,” Coughlin said. “But it was a third-and-3, and I was very much aware
    of where the ball was going, where it was headed and if there was any way it
    could be turned around. And they were hurrying up to the ball to snap it, so I
    really didn’t get a great call from upstairs. But I’ve been overly aggressive
    with those calls, not waiting for any kind of advice from upstairs.”

By those calls, Coughlin means potential game-changers. He’s had some close
    ones and has lost his last five challenges.

“It seems like we’ve had a series of things that have not been clear, and
    even when the pictures are there, have not been really clear,” he said. “But
    I’ve gone ahead and challenged anyway. I’ve done so for a number of
    reasons.”

One more gripe Coughlin had with the officiating was the interpretation of
    the Calvin Johnson rule on Greg Jennings’ touchdown. Jennings takes a while to
    control the ball and when he finally does, it seems he might have gotten only
    one foot down.

Coughlin said a few weeks ago he was looking
    for “consistency” in the rule
    . Today, he said he’s still searching.

“I would go so far as to say most of us know exactly what the rule reads
    like, but I’ve seen it interpreted a lot of different ways,” he said. “It’s
    confusing to me.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN BELIEVES BALLARD'S CATCH AGAINST PACKERS WAS A TOUCHDOWN

Nice to see it is being brought to light. I hate when teams blame refs. We have had bad calls all year but this game the Refs cost us. I said 2 my friend we will have to beat the refs and make plays.

People seem to forget the woodson mugging on Nicks that wasn't called PI. That was the play even woodson acknowledge the play by fist pumping nicks after the TD. That whole game was sloppy.

Finely got 1 call he was correct to get, 1 that he could argue, but all others were none calls, like when blackburn covered him going up the seam and finley flopped and missed the catch, then looked to get a bs flag. Was shocked they didn't throw 1.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

Re: GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN BELIEVES BALLARD'S CATCH AGAINST PACKERS WAS A TOUCHDOWN

I wold spit on a NFL ref if I ever saw one. serious they are garbage like the MLB ones.

[quote user="NYfanatic"]I wold spit on a NFL ref if I ever saw one. serious they are garbage like the MLB ones.
    [/quote]They have been bad this year. Seems every time they try to improve they make it worse.

It is like regulations and laws. You need a template, but if you start going crazy it just makes everyone wonder what is legal vs illegal anymore.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

[quote user="DragonSoul"][quote user="NYfanatic"]I wold spit on a NFL ref if I ever saw one. serious they are garbage like the MLB ones.
    [/quote]They have been bad this year. Seems every time they try to improve they make it worse.

It is like regulations and laws. You need a template, but if you start going crazy it just makes everyone wonder what is legal vs illegal anymore.[/quote]
    I havent seen improvement but digression.

that was the worst called game iv ever seen.
    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

[quote user="DragonSoul"][quote user="NYfanatic"]I wold spit on a NFL ref if I ever saw one. serious they are garbage like the MLB ones.

It is like regulations and laws. You need a template, but if you start going crazy it just makes everyone wonder what is legal vs illegal anymore.[/quote]

th3e issue is the NFL has become so ticky-tacky with the rules. Mike Pereira sickens me, and yet all he's doing is being a lawyer with the rules.

down to minute detail in other words.

Jennings catch for example, was ruled a TD because his left hand was gripping the ball despite the right hand adjusting.

the ticky-tack rules lawyering of the greater NFL and the refs has really worn thin on me.

the desire for Madden-esque high-scoring affairs has worn on me.

the stinkin' reviews for every TD scored is tedious too

I just wish they'd line up and punch each other in the mouth and let the Refs ref by the eyeball not the flatscreen

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Thanks RF, it was another weak performance by the zebras and one more item on a lengthy list that Roger Goodell needs to work on if he wants this game we love, to sustain its special place in our hearts.
    No one remembers who came in second.

All-Pro

Glad to see TC stand up and say something, all of us fans have been saying. He will probably catch a fine for "insulting the refs" but whatever. Maybe they can use that fine money to buy some glasses for these refs.

[quote user="giantyankee1976"][quote user="DragonSoul"][quote user="NYfanatic"]I wold spit on a NFL ref if I ever saw one. serious they are garbage like the MLB ones.

*th3e issue is the NFL has become so ticky-tacky with the rules.* Mike Pereira sickens me, and yet all he's doing is being a lawyer with the rules.

down to minute detail in other words.

Jennings catch for example, was ruled a TD because his left hand was gripping the ball despite the right hand adjusting.

the ticky-tack rules lawyering of the greater NFL and the refs has really worn thin on me.

the desire for Madden-esque high-scoring affairs has worn on me.

the stinkin' reviews for every TD scored is tedious too

I just wish they'd line up and punch each other in the mouth and let the Refs ref by the eyeball not the flatscreen
    [/quote]What was worse was when Mike P said on the jennings TD that it seemed he had control for a moment before the ball was knocked out. He tried to say it won't be over turned but he was far from resolute.

I was like, what do you mean he seemed to have it momentarily. Thats not a catch then. YOU HAVE TO HAVE CONTROL of the ball through the action of the catch, not for a split second or momentarily.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul