+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran

I want Vontaze Burfict

I don't know nearly as much about draft prospects as a lot of you guys do, but looking at some footage of this kid, his intensity and speed remind me a lot of LT. I know we like LBs with pass rushing skills, I could see bringing him on in a Kiwi-type role as Sam or just putting him as full time MLB. Is he likely to be available at 32?

Re: I want Vontaze Burfict

The problem with this kid is that he can be a bit too intense. He has a knack of getting penalties that can cost a team big time. Also, his 2010 season was much better in terms of gameplay where he kind of just looked lost this year from what I've seen. To me, he's kind of a boom or bust prospect. Either he ends up as a great 4-3 MLB or we'll see this every game...

"Penalty on #xx, unsportsmanlike conduct, 15 yards..."
    3/25/14 - Updated Mock with 5th round comp pick

1. Anthony Barr, Defensive End, UCLA
    2. Marcus Martin, Center Guard, USC
    3. Anthony Johnson, Defensive Nostril Tackle, LSU
    4. Marcel Jensen, Offensive End, Fresno State
    5. Wesley Johnson, Offensive Any Guard, Vanderbilt
    5. Aaron Colvin, Defensive Halfback, Oklahoma
    6. Storm Johnson, Guy Who Runs With Football, UCF

Veteran

[quote user="jhamburg"]I don't know nearly as much about draft prospects as a lot of you guys do, but looking at some footage of this kid, his intensity and speed remind me a lot of LT. I know we like LBs with pass rushing skills, I could see bringing him on in a Kiwi-type role as Sam or just putting him as full time MLB. Is he likely to be available at 32?[/quote]

My gut tells me no, but every time I watch his highlights I come away saying "He has the potential to be an All-Pro!"

Anyone on here knows that if there is a team that can tap Burficts potential, it's the Giants. After another Super Bowl in 4 years I'm willing to be a little risky.

Very undisciplined and out of control. He's an explosive athlete, but he's pretty bad in zone coverage which is paramount in our system.

Veteran

[quote user="Neverend"]Very undisciplined and out of control. He's an explosive athlete, but he's pretty bad in zone coverage which is paramount in our system.[/quote]

I've seen scouting reports that say he is good in zone lol...

Veteran

[quote user="TheEnigma"]The problem with this kid is that he can be a bit too intense. He has a knack of getting penalties that can cost a team big time. Also, his 2010 season was much better in terms of gameplay where he kind of just looked lost this year from what I've seen. To me, he's kind of a boom or bust prospect. Either he ends up as a great 4-3 MLB or we'll see this every game...

"Penalty on #xx, unsportsmanlike conduct, 15 yards..."[/quote]

The thing is, I kind of like the idea of having a scary defense that gets into other teams' heads a little. I think QBs are already afraid of our pass rush, and if we have this psychopath patrolling the middle of the field that will add to the allure.

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Neverend"]Very undisciplined and out of control. He's an explosive athlete, but he's pretty bad in zone coverage which is paramount in our system.[/quote]

I've seen scouting reports that say he is good in zone lol...[/quote]

Well scouting reports are very subjective. When you watch him in games he plays undisciplined with his run keys and tends to freelance in zone coverage a lot (not keying routes, relying too much looking into backfield, etc.). The guy is a tremendous athlete but I'm not sure if he's a great fit in this read-and-react system where the linebackers need to be very disciplined in their run keys and excel in zone (look how much jacquian williams was struggling this season)

[quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="TheEnigma"]The problem with this kid is that he can be a bit too intense. He has a knack of getting penalties that can cost a team big time. Also, his 2010 season was much better in terms of gameplay where he kind of just looked lost this year from what I've seen. To me, he's kind of a boom or bust prospect. Either he ends up as a great 4-3 MLB or we'll see this every game...

"Penalty on #xx, unsportsmanlike conduct, 15 yards..."[/quote]

The thing is, I kind of like the idea of having a scary defense that gets into other teams' heads a little. I think QBs are already afraid of our pass rush, and if we have this psychopath patrolling the middle of the field that will add to the allure.[/quote]I completely understand that but in case I have him confused with another player, I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same guy who was asked NOT TO RETURN for his senior season from his team.

That's a big red flag for me if it's true. Let me look and confirm first though.
    3/25/14 - Updated Mock with 5th round comp pick

1. Anthony Barr, Defensive End, UCLA
    2. Marcus Martin, Center Guard, USC
    3. Anthony Johnson, Defensive Nostril Tackle, LSU
    4. Marcel Jensen, Offensive End, Fresno State
    5. Wesley Johnson, Offensive Any Guard, Vanderbilt
    5. Aaron Colvin, Defensive Halfback, Oklahoma
    6. Storm Johnson, Guy Who Runs With Football, UCF

Did the footage you saw show you his being benched this past season?

Did it show you his leading college football in Personal fouls? Did it show how some of the personal fouls that lost his team games by extending drives ?

Did the footage show how 1 time, after another ridiculous personal foul, the coaches eventually had to call a timeout just because he wouldnt come out of the game?

Did it show how in 1 game he threw a punch at 1 guy, headbutted the opposing Qb after the play, and choked a another player? That's like a hat trick.

Its just too risky for a 1st round selection. A guy with that level of immaturity doesnt belong in NYC. The media here will eat him alive if the nightlife doesnt.

I'll take Burfict....

...in round 4.