+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chargers Fans

Re: Chargers Fans

Elway's different. He threatened to play baseball (for the Yankees) rather than play for the Colts. You can be drafted and refuse to show up for your team and be drafted again the next year, which is what Elway was threatening.

8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]Elway's different. He threatened to play baseball (for the Yankees) rather than play for the Colts. You can be drafted and refuse to show up for your team and be drafted again the next year, which is what Elway was threatening.

[/quote]

I don't have a link, but Eli also stated that he would sit out and re-enter the draft the following year before he would sign with the Chargers. Of course, being traded was what he preferred and the Chargers wanted his trade value all along.

Well, I did find a link on Bleacher Report by a Ryan Phillips. His little article is just a tirade telling Archie Manning to shut up in the past, to shut up in the present and to shut up in the future. I clicked on this guy's bio and ,lo and behold, his favorite team is the Chargers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...peyton-manning

Starter

This may sound a little silly, but I think if we had kept Philip Rivers instead of Eli Manning, Rivers would have thrived here as well and we still could very well be here, winners of 2 SBs. The Gmens organization is top notch.

[quote user="u2good"]This may sound a little silly, but I think if we had kept Philip Rivers instead of Eli Manning, Rivers would have thrived here as well and we still could very well be here, winners of 2 SBs. The Gmens organization is top notch.[/quote]

Not silly, but over-assuming. Rivers might have thrived here - not would have thrived here. The Giants do have a top-notch organization and have two SB's since the trade, with a legit shot at more. I don't see that there are any questions or maybe's left.

[quote user="chasjay"][quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]Elway's different. He threatened to play baseball (for the Yankees) rather than play for the Colts. You can be drafted and refuse to show up for your team and be drafted again the next year, which is what Elway was threatening.

[/quote]

I don't have a link, but Eli also stated that he would sit out and re-enter the draft the following year before he would sign with the Chargers. Of course, being traded was what he preferred and the Chargers wanted his trade value all along.

Well, I did find a link on Bleacher Report by a Ryan Phillips. His little article is just a tirade telling Archie Manning to shut up in the past, to shut up in the present and to shut up in the future. I clicked on this guy's bio and ,lo and behold, his favorite team is the Chargers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...peyton-manning
    [/quote]

Thanks chasjay. Not sure of the logistics, but didn't the Mannings privately inform the Chargers during dialogue before the selection and they picked him anyway thereby forcing the Mannings to go public and using the leverage they had?

I think you nailed it here: "being traded was what he preferred and the Chargers wanted his trade value all along".

Yes, the Mannings were intent on keeping everything private, but the Chargers' GM went public with it. Even though the Chargers wanted to trade Eli, Smith made Eli's position public to provide himself cover from the Charger fans. He was able to get the trade he wanted and, at the same time, protect himself from criticism from the Charger fans by saying he was forced to make the trade. He won both PR battles (Public Relations and Philip Rivers). I have no dislike at all for Rivers through all that, but I view A.J. Smith as a worm, pretty much.

[quote user="chasjay"][quote user="u2good"]This may sound a little silly, but I think if we had kept Philip Rivers instead of Eli Manning, Rivers would have thrived here as well and we still could very well be here, winners of 2 SBs. The Gmens organization is top notch.[/quote]

Not silly, but over-assuming. Rivers might have thrived here - not would have thrived here. The Giants do have a top-notch organization and have two SB's since the trade, with a legit shot at more. I don't see that there are any questions or maybe's left.
    [/quote]

Agreed. Something about River's shotput passing mechanics that just throws me off of him. That and his mouth.

[quote user="BobbyD"][quote user="flamethrower"]You forgot to mention 1 small detail. Their only Pro level Championship at all. the 1963 AFL championship win is all that they have to brag about. That is it. No Baseball World Series titles. No NBA Championships. Too bad the Clippers left for LA. No NHL team ever has even looked at that city. In fact the only Championship that they can claim is the NASL indoor Championsip.* 1982, and 1984. I don't consider Indoor Soccer top level. Even thou it is a much more fun game to watch.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

That looks like the Eagles case to.

Bench Player

[quote user="Dabluguy"][quote user="BobbyD"][quote user="flamethrower"]You forgot to mention 1 small detail. Their only Pro level Championship at all. the 1963 AFL championship win is all that they have to brag about. That is it. No Baseball World Series titles. No NBA Championships. Too bad the Clippers left for LA. No NHL team ever has even looked at that city. In fact the only Championship that they can claim is the NASL indoor Championsip.* 1982, and 1984. I don't consider Indoor Soccer top level. Even thou it is a much more fun game to watch.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

That looks like the Eagles case to.[/quote]And the Texans

[quote user="BobbyD"][quote user="Dabluguy"][quote user="BobbyD"][quote user="flamethrower"]You forgot to mention 1 small detail. Their only Pro level Championship at all. the 1963 AFL championship win is all that they have to brag about. That is it. No Baseball World Series titles. No NBA Championships. Too bad the Clippers left for LA. No NHL team ever has even looked at that city. In fact the only Championship that they can claim is the NASL indoor Championsip. 1982, and 1984. I don't consider Indoor Soccer top level. Even thou it is a much more fun game to watch.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

That looks like the Eagles case to.[/quote]And the Texans [/quote]
    Yep it looks like the Titans case also. Just as empty. Funny thing is I could care less. My biggest proud moment was Doing something. Not what a football team does. What that was doesn't matter here. Your best shot was that. Well I admit that Houston ain't got a Lombardi yet. But, Their future is bright. Tennessee's is just 2 seasons. 1960 AFL Championship, and 1961 AFL Championship. Nothing to brag about since. Both Philadelphia in 1960, and Green Bay in 61 would have whooped dat Arse.
    NFL Football is so much better than NCAA.

+ Reply to Thread