+ Reply to Thread

Whitney Mercilus (DE) #32 Pick?

What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

Osi is gone this year or next. Tollefson is more than likely gone in FA this year. Kiwi possibly slides back to DE, but we'd still need the depth for the future and considering how much we prize DEs ... ?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...itney-mercilus
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Re: Whitney Mercilus (DE) #32 Pick?

With this team you can never have enough of a good thing, in this case pass rushers. I would be ok with it, but I am really thinking we go DB in the 1st. I don't see any 1st round talent for OL or TE for us at pick 32, unless somebody falls to us. With Osi having a year left, we are in good shape for 1 more yr with the DE rotation. RBs are ok this year, but there is a huge divide between Richardson and the rest. Yeah my guess is CB or S for 1st round......and thats my final answer....

I can only hope this kid falls to us and I think Reese would grab him up in this case but I just don't see the drop happening considering the value of pass rushers in todays game.

[quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick? Osi is gone this year or next. Tollefson is more than likely gone in FA this year. Kiwi possibly slides back to DE, but we'd still need the depth for the future and considering how much we prize DEs ... ? http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...itney-mercilus[/quote] Well, if u read the Draft Thread , then u know Whitney is my Dream Scenario for us, as i see him as the kinda a JPP type player, at least when JPP was where whitney is now.. Hes got that kinda potential in my opinion.. He not only has a non stop motor like JPP, hes also has a great mix of athletic ability and strength, and he creates a boatload of turnovers.. I just don't see a weakness in Whitneys game... I've thought Whitney was gonna rise up the 1st rd board for months now, and hes been doing just that, and with his combine performance, i almost gurantee hes gonna be gone before we pick.. i see him going in the 15-23 range... Tennesee at 20 is where i think he ends up...

[quote user="TheEnigma"]I can only hope this kid falls to us and I think Reese would grab him up in this case but I just don't see the drop happening considering the value of pass rushers in todays game.[/quote] Exactly.. Fletcher Cox is another guy i raved about adn figured would work his way up and away from where we pick, and he has..I'm thinking Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Cordy Glenn, Mike Adams, Andre Branch, Zach Brown, or a surprise player will be the pick...

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="TheEnigma"]I can only hope this kid falls to us and I think Reese would grab him up in this case but I just don't see the drop happening considering the value of pass rushers in todays game.[/quote] Exactly..* Fletcher Cox is another guy i raved about adn figured would work his way up and away from where we pick, and he has..**I'm thinking Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Cordy Glenn, Mike Adams, Andre Branch, Zach Brown,* or a surprise player will be the pick...[/quote]Out of that group you listed, it would have to be Cordy Glenn or Mike Adams if I was the GM. Glenn has the massive body but athletic ability and is versatile on the line while Adams has that prototypical frame to play either Tackle spot which is a commodity.

I like Fleener and Allen but not at 32 overall. Maybe if we traded back into the 38-45 range?

Another candidate I'd say would be Mark Barron. He would fit this team like a glove and would do wonders in our 3 safety set.

[quote user="TheEnigma"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="TheEnigma"]I can only hope this kid falls to us and I think Reese would grab him up in this case but I just don't see the drop happening considering the value of pass rushers in todays game.[/quote] Exactly..* Fletcher Cox is another guy i raved about adn figured would work his way up and away from where we pick, and he has..**I'm thinking Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Cordy Glenn, Mike Adams, Andre Branch, Zach Brown,* or a surprise player will be the pick...[/quote]Out of that group you listed, it would have to be Cordy Glenn or Mike Adams if I was the GM. Glenn has the massive body but athletic ability and is versatile on the line while Adams has that prototypical frame to play either Tackle spot which is a commodity.

I like Fleener and Allen but not at 32 overall. Maybe if we traded back into the 38-45 range?

Another candidate I'd say would be Mark Barron. He would fit this team like a glove and would do wonders in our 3 safety set.[/quote]

Glenn, Adams and Barron would all make sense for us and are more then likely all gone by the time we pick (although Barron might not be since his stock is dropping since his latest injury).

The difference between 32 and 42 is not enough to try to trade back to unless someone is desperate to jump a pick and wants our #32. If the FO is really sold on either Fleener or Allen, then they'll spend the #32 pick with it.

However the Combine kind of hurt Allen's stock. Fleener has to impress at his Pro Day or his stock will similarly drop. Either are a possible 2nd pick but if their stock on the Giants' boards drop much, I would think the Giants go later in the draft with someone like Green, Egenew or Rodriguez.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="TheEnigma"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="TheEnigma"]I can only hope this kid falls to us and I think Reese would grab him up in this case but I just don't see the drop happening considering the value of pass rushers in todays game.[/quote] Exactly.. Fletcher Cox is another guy i raved about adn figured would work his way up and away from where we pick, and he has..I'm thinking Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Cordy Glenn, Mike Adams, Andre Branch, Zach Brown, or a surprise player will be the pick...[/quote]Out of that group you listed, it would have to be Cordy Glenn or Mike Adams if I was the GM. Glenn has the massive body but athletic ability and is versatile on the line while Adams has that prototypical frame to play either Tackle spot which is a commodity. I like Fleener and Allen but not at 32 overall. Maybe if we traded back into the 38-45 range? Another candidate I'd say would be Mark Barron. He would fit this team like a glove and would do wonders in our 3 safety set.[/quote] The only thing about Barron is i wonder if u can get similar value witha guy like George Iloka, Harrison Smith, Markelle Martin(all thought a bit more FS, hes a thumper with speed), or Trumaine Johnson(versatile, can play CB and S, and has 4.5speed at 6ft2in 204lb)

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="TheEnigma"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="TheEnigma"]I can only hope this kid falls to us and I think Reese would grab him up in this case but I just don't see the drop happening considering the value of pass rushers in todays game.[/quote] Exactly..* Fletcher Cox is another guy i raved about adn figured would work his way up and away from where we pick, and he has..**I'm thinking Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Cordy Glenn, Mike Adams, Andre Branch, Zach Brown,* or a surprise player will be the pick...[/quote]Out of that group you listed, it would have to be Cordy Glenn or Mike Adams if I was the GM. Glenn has the massive body but athletic ability and is versatile on the line while Adams has that prototypical frame to play either Tackle spot which is a commodity. I like Fleener and Allen but not at 32 overall. Maybe if we traded back into the 38-45 range? Another candidate I'd say would be Mark Barron. He would fit this team like a glove and would do wonders in our 3 safety set.[/quote]* The only thing about Barron is i wonder if u can get similar value witha* guy like George Iloka, Harrison Smith, Markelle Martin(all thought a bit more FS, hes a thumper with speed), or Trumaine Johnson(versatile, can play CB and S, and has 4.5speed at 6ft2in 204lb)[/quote]

With Barron you're buying an NFL starter. Freakish athletic ability combined with the most polish of the Safetys in the draft this year. NFL ready. That's his stock.

However you make a great point ... we don't need a starter. Any DB we draft will be for depth first, so we can wait on that pick and draft a physical marvel (like Iloka) and let him learn his craft behind Rolle and Phillips.