+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

DE in the First?

What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

Osi is gone this year or next. Tollefson is more than likely gone in FA this year. Kiwi possibly slides back to DE, but we'd still need the depth for the future and considering how much we prize DEs ... ?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...itney-mercilus
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Re: DE in the First?

Maybe DT. If we can find a beast in the first second or third round for that inside, then we can really do a lot of damage. I would also like to get a real good lb. If we can find one who is dominant, oh boy our defense would be too good.

I think we are set at DT with Marvin Austin coming back we won't take one high unless cantu doesn't come back. If osi doesn't come back we need to take a DE in the first 2 rounds.

[quote user="tripleaamin9"]I think we are set at DT with Marvin Austin coming back we won't take one high unless cantu doesn't come back. If osi doesn't come back we need to take a DE in the first 2 rounds.[/quote]Get another DT still since we do have a good amount of DE's already or go another route like db again. I think we should get more defense maybe in the later rounds. Then work on the O-line for that powerful running game.

[quote user="Diamondring"][quote user="tripleaamin9"]I think we are set at DT with Marvin Austin coming back we won't take one high unless cantu doesn't come back. If osi doesn't come back we need to take a DE in the first 2 rounds.[/quote]Get another DT still since we do have a good amount of DE's already or go another route like db again. I think we should get more defense maybe in the later rounds. Then work on the O-line for that powerful running game.[/quote]

Well for DE's we have Osi, Tuck and JPP. Tollefson is a FA and who knows what happens with Osi (and he's definitely gone in 2013). We have Kiwi who can slide back to DE but knowing the Giants' propensity for pass rushing DEs we'd be more likely to draft a DE earlier then a DT this year (is my feeling anyways).

However if we went DT, two standout about where we pick:

Dontari Poe who plays both Tackle and Nose Guard. He is monstrous in size (6-5, 350) and strength but a bit raw (kind of guy we like picking up).

However I could see a number of 3-4 defenses salivating at the prospect of getting this guy as a Nose Guard (think Texans with Wade Phillips) so he may not be available when we pick at #32.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...51/dontari-poe

The other guy that appears at DT is Brandon Thompson. Not the physical freak that Dontari Poe is, he is a high motor guy that is both strong and non-stop (think a hyper version of Barry Cofield).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...andon-thompson

Dontari Poe really is intriguing ... I think if he's gone any interest we have in DT will be gone (in the first round that is).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Diamondring"][quote user="tripleaamin9"]I think we are set at DT with Marvin Austin coming back we won't take one high unless cantu doesn't come back. If osi doesn't come back we need to take a DE in the first 2 rounds.[/quote]Get another DT still since we do have a good amount of DE's already or go another route like db again. I think we should get more defense maybe in the later rounds. Then work on the O-line for that powerful running game.[/quote]

Well for DE's we have Osi, Tuck and JPP. Tollefson is a FA and who knows what happens with Osi (and he's definitely gone in 2013). We have Kiwi who can slide back to DE but knowing the Giants' propensity for pass rushing DEs we'd be more likely to draft a DE earlier then a DT this year (is my feeling anyways).

However if we went DT, two standout about where we pick:

Dontari Poe who plays both Tackle and Nose Guard. He is monstrous in size (6-5, 350) and strength but a bit raw (kind of guy we like picking up).

However I could see a number of 3-4 defenses salivating at the prospect of getting this guy as a Nose Guard (think Texans with Wade Phillips) so he may not be available when we pick at #32.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...51/dontari-poe

The other guy that appears at DT is Brandon Thompson. Not the physical freak that Dontari Poe is, he is a high motor guy that is both strong and non-stop (think a hyper version of Barry Cofield).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...andon-thompson

Dontari Poe really is intriguing ... I think if he's gone any interest we have in DT will be gone (in the first round that is).[/quote]I see you have a Mock Draft on your signature. How good is the te you have as the Giants picking in the first round?

[quote user="tripleaamin9"]I think we are set at DT with Marvin Austin coming back we won't take one high unless cantu doesn't come back. If osi doesn't come back we need to take a DE in the first 2 rounds.[/quote] giving Austin a little too much credit there....dude is coming off IR & hasn't played any football in 2 years.....if we lose Bernard,are you happy with basiclly Austin as your only depth??

[quote user="myles2424"][quote user="tripleaamin9"]I think we are set at DT with Marvin Austin coming back we won't take one high unless cantu doesn't come back. If osi doesn't come back we need to take a DE in the first 2 rounds.[/quote] giving Austin a little too much credit there....dude is coming off IR & hasn't played any football in 2 years.....if we lose Bernard,are you happy with basiclly Austin as your only depth??[/quote]

Very true.

Although we do run a 3 DE front a lot.

Veteran

Dontari Poe with 3 Dline front *drools*

[quote user="Diamondring"]Maybe DT. If we can find a beast in the first second or third round for that inside, then we can really do a lot of damage. I would also like to get a real good lb. If we can find one who is dominant, oh boy our defense would be too good.[/quote]

I don't see DT in the first with Joseph, Canty, and Austin on the team. Unless Canty is a cap casualty I'd think DT would be farther down the draft for us for depth.

I don't think we pick a LBer in this draft at all. We're more then stocked numbers wise, and I think the FO is ok with the talent they have. If we pick a LBer, I'd think it would definitely be in day 2 of the draft (4th round or later) barring something silly happening like Kuechly falling to us in the first.

The potential first round picks as I see it are:

DE (club preference and MO), TE (need and most likely BPA), and CB (but probably not both because it would be for depth and no real standouts at the #32 pick).