+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DE in the First?

DE in the First?

What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

Osi is gone this year or next. Tollefson is more than likely gone in FA this year. Kiwi possibly slides back to DE, but we'd still need the depth for the future and considering how much we prize DEs ... ?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...itney-mercilus
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Re: DE in the First?

Maybe DT. If we can find a beast in the first second or third round for that inside, then we can really do a lot of damage. I would also like to get a real good lb. If we can find one who is dominant, oh boy our defense would be too good.

I think we are set at DT with Marvin Austin coming back we won't take one high unless cantu doesn't come back. If osi doesn't come back we need to take a DE in the first 2 rounds.

[quote user="Diamondring"]Maybe DT. If we can find a beast in the first second or third round for that inside, then we can really do a lot of damage. I would also like to get a real good lb. If we can find one who is dominant, oh boy our defense would be too good.[/quote]

I don't see DT in the first with Joseph, Canty, and Austin on the team. Unless Canty is a cap casualty I'd think DT would be farther down the draft for us for depth.

I don't think we pick a LBer in this draft at all. We're more then stocked numbers wise, and I think the FO is ok with the talent they have. If we pick a LBer, I'd think it would definitely be in day 2 of the draft (4th round or later) barring something silly happening like Kuechly falling to us in the first.

The potential first round picks as I see it are:

DE (club preference and MO), TE (need and most likely BPA), and CB (but probably not both because it would be for depth and no real standouts at the #32 pick).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="tripleaamin9"]I think we are set at DT with Marvin Austin coming back we won't take one high unless cantu doesn't come back. If osi doesn't come back we need to take a DE in the first 2 rounds.[/quote]Get another DT still since we do have a good amount of DE's already or go another route like db again. I think we should get more defense maybe in the later rounds. Then work on the O-line for that powerful running game.

Whom ever is the BPA at the "need" postions will be taken first. Whether it DE, DT, TE, CB, etc.

Also some of you guys bring Marvin Austin as a viable DT.??? What has he done other than be out of football for two + seasons?? He is nowhere near a lock to make the team IMO.

theGiants have aseveralLBs on the team already and the TE....I think they stick with what they have and maybe add a older FA or a draft pick in the later rounds. Beckum IMO get an injury settlement and will be gone. Christian Hopkins will surprise and Pascoe finally gets to focus on being a TE and not waste time with FB drills.

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

[quote user="Diamondring"][quote user="tripleaamin9"]I think we are set at DT with Marvin Austin coming back we won't take one high unless cantu doesn't come back. If osi doesn't come back we need to take a DE in the first 2 rounds.[/quote]Get another DT still since we do have a good amount of DE's already or go another route like db again. I think we should get more defense maybe in the later rounds. Then work on the O-line for that powerful running game.[/quote]

Well for DE's we have Osi, Tuck and JPP. Tollefson is a FA and who knows what happens with Osi (and he's definitely gone in 2013). We have Kiwi who can slide back to DE but knowing the Giants' propensity for pass rushing DEs we'd be more likely to draft a DE earlier then a DT this year (is my feeling anyways).

However if we went DT, two standout about where we pick:

Dontari Poe who plays both Tackle and Nose Guard. He is monstrous in size (6-5, 350) and strength but a bit raw (kind of guy we like picking up).

However I could see a number of 3-4 defenses salivating at the prospect of getting this guy as a Nose Guard (think Texans with Wade Phillips) so he may not be available when we pick at #32.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...51/dontari-poe

The other guy that appears at DT is Brandon Thompson. Not the physical freak that Dontari Poe is, he is a high motor guy that is both strong and non-stop (think a hyper version of Barry Cofield).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...andon-thompson

Dontari Poe really is intriguing ... I think if he's gone any interest we have in DT will be gone (in the first round that is).

[quote user="GameTime"]

Whom ever is the BPA at the "need" postions will be taken first. Whether it DE, DT, TE, CB, etc.

Also some of you guys bring Marvin Austin as a viable DT.??? What has he done other than be out of football for two + seasons?? He is nowhere near a lock to make the team IMO.

*the*Giants have aseveral*LBs on the team already and the TE....I think they stick with what they have and maybe add a older FA or a draft pick in the later rounds. Beckum IMO get an injury settlement and will be gone. *Christian Hopkins will surprise and Pascoe finally gets to focus on being a TE and not waste time with FB drills.

[/quote]

I agree that Austin is a question mark, but short of him eating White Castle sliders at practice, he's a lock to be on the team due to his being a second round draft pick (same reason Barden and Sintim are still on the team ... day 1 draft picks). He also has A LOT of upside as he's freak of nature. Now we just need to see it realized.

TE is difficult to guage for me ... while we've gone ghetto TE for the most part in the recent past, the Beckum pick was our shot at getting a play making TE with a high draft pick, so that tells me that the desire is there.

TE this year will be a definite need with both Ballard and Beckum being at the very least, on the PUP list to start the season. However there are some neat possibilities later on in the draft at TE as well (Ladarius Green, Mike Egenew and Evan Rodriguez). Alternatively, the TE position will probably be BPA when we pick (i.e. we'll be able to get the best TE in the draft) which will mean either Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener in the first (both would be HUGE upgrades for us at the TE position, not to mention a solid play making replacement for the loss of MM). If we don't go defense in the first, this is where I think we pick.

LBers I agree with you on ... we're more then stacked.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Diamondring"][quote user="tripleaamin9"]I think we are set at DT with Marvin Austin coming back we won't take one high unless cantu doesn't come back. If osi doesn't come back we need to take a DE in the first 2 rounds.[/quote]Get another DT still since we do have a good amount of DE's already or go another route like db again. I think we should get more defense maybe in the later rounds. Then work on the O-line for that powerful running game.[/quote]

Well for DE's we have Osi, Tuck and JPP. Tollefson is a FA and who knows what happens with Osi (and he's definitely gone in 2013). We have Kiwi who can slide back to DE but knowing the Giants' propensity for pass rushing DEs we'd be more likely to draft a DE earlier then a DT this year (is my feeling anyways).

However if we went DT, two standout about where we pick:

Dontari Poe who plays both Tackle and Nose Guard. He is monstrous in size (6-5, 350) and strength but a bit raw (kind of guy we like picking up).

However I could see a number of 3-4 defenses salivating at the prospect of getting this guy as a Nose Guard (think Texans with Wade Phillips) so he may not be available when we pick at #32.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...51/dontari-poe

The other guy that appears at DT is Brandon Thompson. Not the physical freak that Dontari Poe is, he is a high motor guy that is both strong and non-stop (think a hyper version of Barry Cofield).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...andon-thompson

Dontari Poe really is intriguing ... I think if he's gone any interest we have in DT will be gone (in the first round that is).[/quote]I see you have a Mock Draft on your signature. How good is the te you have as the Giants picking in the first round?

[quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

Osi is gone this year or next. Tollefson is more than likely gone in FA this year. Kiwi possibly slides back to DE, but we'd still need the depth for the future and considering how much we prize DEs ... ?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...itney-mercilus[/quote]

Kruunch, I really don't consider myself as having expertise on particular draft player specs and typically enjoy reading the comments from others here such as yourself for such detail.

That said, I really like your thinking here. Even though Osi is under contract for another year and the Giants certainly have other more pressing challenges, the subtle "remember me, remember I'm here and I'll take less' is already starting while other players who made major contributions to the SB run (and were also major team leadership influences) have kept quiet (Rolle). So it seems the 'Osi situation' will once again be grabbing attention, has already and is begging for a solution. It just might not be what is being bantered in the media.

Kiwi is definitely a team first player and has done everything the Giants have asked him to do, but he was a DE at BC and drafted as such so that would be a natural for him to transition back. If I was Kiwi I might also be happier playing at my more 'natural' position as well.

If Reese thinks that a DE is the BPA in the first, I could definitely see that being the choice. Like what you are proposing here, he seems to look down the street and not just to the next block.

+ Reply to Thread