+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DE in the First?

Re: DE in the First?

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="GameTime"]

Whom ever is the BPA at the "need" postions will be taken first. Whether it DE, DT, TE, CB, etc.

Also some of you guys bring Marvin Austin as a viable DT.??? What has he done other than be out of football for two + seasons?? He is nowhere near a lock to make the team IMO.

theGiants have aseveralLBs on the team already and the TE....I think they stick with what they have and maybe add a older FA or a draft pick in the later rounds. Beckum IMO get an injury settlement and will be gone. Christian Hopkins will surprise and Pascoe finally gets to focus on being a TE and not waste time with FB drills.

[/quote] I agree that Austin is a question mark, but short of him eating White Castle sliders at practice, he's a lock to be on the team due to his being a second round draft pick (same reason Barden and Sintim are still on the team ... day 1 draft picks). He also has A LOT of upside as he's freak of nature. Now we just need to see it realized. TE is difficult to guage for me ... while we've gone ghetto TE for the most part in the recent past, the Beckum pick was our shot at getting a play making TE with a high draft pick, so that tells me that the desire is there. TE this year will be a definite need with both Ballard and Beckum being at the very least, on the PUP list to start the season. However there are some neat possibilities later on in the draft at TE as well (Ladarius Green, Mike Egenew and Evan Rodriguez). Alternatively, the TE position will probably be BPA when we pick (i.e. we'll be able to get the best TE in the draft) which will mean either Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener in the first (both would be HUGE upgrades for us at the TE position, not to mention a solid play making replacement for the loss of MM). If we don't go defense in the first, this is where I think we pick. LBers I agree with you on ... we're more then stacked.[/quote]

Yeah I was forgetting that Austin was 2nd rounder. You made that point and he will be on the team as long as he passes the physical...

TE will be interesting to me where they go with this....

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

[quote user="Diamondring"]I see you have a Mock Draft on your signature. How good is the te you have as the Giants picking in the first round?[/quote]

He's currently the second rated TE in this draft right behind Dwayne Allen but he didn't do the Combine (pronged his ankle). His stock will rise/fall with his Pro Day coming up in a couple of weeks.

The reason I like him better then Allen is that he has better size (6'6 vs. Allen's 6'3) and he plays the position closer to how we run our offense in an NFL style offense at Stanford.

He's basically a taller version of Dallas Clark.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="swimeasy"][quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

Osi is gone this year or next. Tollefson is more than likely gone in FA this year. Kiwi possibly slides back to DE, but we'd still need the depth for the future and considering how much we prize DEs ... ?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...itney-mercilus[/quote]

Kruunch, I really don't consider myself as having expertise on particular draft player specs and typically enjoy reading the comments from others here such as yourself for such detail.

That said, I really like your thinking here. Even though Osi is under contract for another year and the Giants certainly have other more pressing challenges, the subtle "remember me, remember I'm here and I'll take less' is already starting while other players who made major contributions to the SB run (and were also major team leadership influences) have kept quiet (Rolle). So it seems the 'Osi situation' will once again be grabbing attention, has already and is begging for a solution. It just might not be what is being bantered in the media.

Kiwi is definitely a team first player and has done everything the Giants have asked him to do, but he was a DE at BC and drafted as such so that would be a natural for him to transition back. If I was Kiwi I might also be happier playing at my more 'natural' position as well.

If Reese thinks that a DE is the BPA in the first, I could definitely see that being the choice. Like what you are proposing here, he seems to look down the street and not just to the next block.*

[/quote]

I think Kiwi happens to be a MUCH better pass rushing DE then he is a SAM LBer and I fervantly hope they slide him back to DE in 2012.

With that said, Osi may or may not be here in 2012. My gut feeling is that he will be because he has no leverage and physically sitting out and/or playing games like he did in 2011 will so hurt his stock in the 2013 FA class that it'd be almost criminal (I'm sure his agent is already wanting to push him off a cliff at this point). However, I doubt Osi re-signs with the Giants in 2013 so you have to start looking ahead and since DE is the #1 prime position for the Giants, is why I can see them picking a DE in the first.

However I think between Osi, Kiwi, Tuck and JPP we have enough DE depth for 2012 that I wouldn't mind seeing them address other needs first (as reflected in my mock draft in my sig).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

I can not see us drafting another DE in the first round.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="swimeasy"][quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

Osi is gone this year or next. Tollefson is more than likely gone in FA this year. Kiwi possibly slides back to DE, but we'd still need the depth for the future and considering how much we prize DEs ... ?

Kruunch, I really don't consider myself as having expertise on particular draft player specs and typically enjoy reading the comments from others here such as yourself for such detail.

That said, I really like your thinking here. Even though Osi is under contract for another year and the Giants certainly have other more pressing challenges, the subtle "remember me, remember I'm here and I'll take less' is already starting while other players who made major contributions to the SB run (and were also major team leadership influences) have kept quiet (Rolle). So it seems the 'Osi situation' will once again be grabbing attention, has already and is begging for a solution. It just might not be what is being bantered in the media.

Kiwi is definitely a team first player and has done everything the Giants have asked him to do, but he was a DE at BC and drafted as such so that would be a natural for him to transition back. If I was Kiwi I might also be happier playing at my more 'natural' position as well.

If Reese thinks that a DE is the BPA in the first, I could definitely see that being the choice. Like what you are proposing here, he seems to look down the street and not just to the next block.

[/quote]

I think Kiwi happens to be a MUCH better pass rushing DE then he is a SAM LBer and I fervantly hope they slide him back to DE in 2012.

With that said, Osi may or may not be here in 2012. My gut feeling is that he will be because he has no leverage and physically sitting out and/or playing games like he did in 2011 will so hurt his stock in the 2013 FA class that it'd be almost criminal (I'm sure his agent is already wanting to push him off a cliff at this point). However, I doubt Osi re-signs with the Giants in 2013 so you have to start looking ahead and since DE is the #1 prime position for the Giants, is why I can see them picking a DE in the first.

However I think between Osi, Kiwi, Tuck and JPP we have enough DE depth for 2012 that I wouldn't mind seeing them address other needs first (as reflected in my mock draft in my sig).[/quote]

I agree about Kiwi as a complete DE. He is also a very articulate leader. I hear ya about other needs. My thing has been and is still the Oline, but I know I just need to expect to be surprised again with Reese and TE has recently become a glaring need as has been discussed.

Indeed, Osi will do what's best for Osi in the end and I need to bite my tongue (keyboard) as he is already getting on my nerves again. Now that there has been the sound bite - counter sound bite between Osi and Reese, he needs to quiet down and let the serious work play out.

[quote user="swimeasy"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="swimeasy"][quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

If Reese thinks that a DE is the BPA in the first, I could definitely see that being the choice. Like what you are proposing here, he seems to look down the street and not just to the next block.*

[/quote]

However I think between Osi, Kiwi, Tuck and JPP we have enough DE depth for 2012 that I wouldn't mind seeing them address other needs first (as reflected in my mock draft in my sig).[/quote]

I agree about Kiwi as a complete DE. He is also a very articulate leader. I hear ya about other needs. My thing has been and is still the Oline, but I know I just need to expect to be surprised again with Reese and TE has recently become a glaring need as has been discussed.

Indeed, Osi will do what's best for Osi in the end and I need to bite my tongue (keyboard) as he is already getting on my nerves again. Now that there has been the sound bite - counter sound bite between Osi and Reese, he needs to quiet down and let the serious work play out.
    [/quote]

Well if we're going Oline you'd think we'd be angling for a Right Tackle to replace Kareem McKenzie (assuming we don't re-sign him as a Free Agent this year).

If that's the case, the decent tackles you'd be looking at in the first round are Cordy Glenn and Mark Adams both of which are slated to go somewhere in the 20s in the first round. Should one of those fall to us, I could see us taking one (a lot of people are really high on Glenn because he can play both OG and OT).

Historically speaking we don't like to take an Olineman in the first round (who does?!) but seeing as we're picking #32 and there is a definite need, anything is possible. Having said that, both will probably be gone by the time we pick.

Past that for OT we have Amina Silatolu in the second round who is another OG who can play OT and is a physical speciman and could very well be our second round pick in almost any format (thanks to Slipknot for turning me on to this guy). I really like this guy if we're going for an OT on Day 1 of the draft.

However, as reflected by my mock draft, we have some other real possibilities with our #2 pick.

If either Coby Fleener (TE) or Dwayne Allen (TE) fall to the #64 pick, we might very well jump on either.

Similarly we can add some quality depth and a potential third starting Safety with George Iloka (FS).

Then you have Mohamed Sanu (WR) who might fall to #64 because of his Combine 40 times but is considered by everyone to be a taller version of Hakeem Nicks (being a Rutgers fan, I can say without a doubt he reminds me A LOT of Nicks).

So a lot of choices depending which way the Giants want to go with their number one and what their draft boards look like overall (and what they perceive as need vs. desire vs BPA).

[quote user="tripleaamin9"]I think we are set at DT with Marvin Austin coming back we won't take one high unless cantu doesn't come back. If osi doesn't come back we need to take a DE in the first 2 rounds.[/quote] giving Austin a little too much credit there....dude is coming off IR & hasn't played any football in 2 years.....if we lose Bernard,are you happy with basiclly Austin as your only depth??

[quote user="myles2424"][quote user="tripleaamin9"]I think we are set at DT with Marvin Austin coming back we won't take one high unless cantu doesn't come back. If osi doesn't come back we need to take a DE in the first 2 rounds.[/quote] giving Austin a little too much credit there....dude is coming off IR & hasn't played any football in 2 years.....if we lose Bernard,are you happy with basiclly Austin as your only depth??[/quote]

Very true.

Although we do run a 3 DE front a lot.

Veteran

Dontari Poe with 3 Dline front *drools*

[quote user="M0rbid"]Dontari Poe with 3 Dline front *drools*
    [/quote]

If he falls to us that's going to be an agonizing choice for JR and company.

+ Reply to Thread