+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DE in the First?

Re: DE in the First?

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="M0rbid"]Dontari Poe with 3 Dline front *drools*
    [/quote]

If he falls to us that's going to be an agonizing choice for JR and company.[/quote]
    I've been hearing about Poe for awhile now,but I've never seen any of his tape...
    What big competition did he face this year?
    Not going up against some of the best is the only thing that could make him fall to us at this point...

[quote user="myles2424"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="M0rbid"]Dontari Poe with 3 Dline front *drools*
    [/quote]

If he falls to us that's going to be an agonizing choice for JR and company.[/quote]
    I've been hearing about Poe for awhile now,but I've never seen any of his tape...
    Not going up against some of the best is the only thing that could make him fall to us at this point...[/quote]

Whoever drafts Poe is drafting his size and athletic ability. His technique is pedestrian as was his level of competition.

But he played in primarily a 3-4 defense (although somewhat hybrid at times) and is a perfect fit as a 3-4 Nose Guard (hence why I don't think we'd get him).

You can Google videos on him.

I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="myles2424"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="M0rbid"]Dontari Poe with 3 Dline front *drools*
    [/quote]

Not going up against some of the best is the only thing that could make him fall to us at this point...[/quote]

Whoever drafts Poe is drafting his size and athletic ability. His technique is pedestrian as was his level of competition.

But he played in primarily a 3-4 defense (although somewhat hybrid at times) and is a perfect fit as a 3-4 Nose Guard (hence why I don't think we'd get him).

You can Google videos on him.

I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="myles2424"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="M0rbid"]Dontari Poe with 3 Dline front *drools*
    [/quote]

You can Google videos on him.[/quote]

Yeah, way too many starved 3-4 defenses out there that bucked the trend too early and still need a nose tackle to expect him to fall to the 32nd pick.

If a DE is BPA, then I've got no problem with it. Would provide protection in case Osi splits, and would allow us to rush Tuck from the inside more.

[quote user="JJC7301"]If a DE is BPA, then I've got no problem with it. Would provide protection in case Osi splits, and would allow us to rush Tuck from the inside more.[/quote]

Osi isnt going anywhere....

So,another DE would mean no more Tollefson & Kiwi full time SLB.....Neither of wich I see happening.....

Tollefson will be resigned for cheap, with the amount of snaps a 4th DE is going to see why draft another in the 1st?

And I think theyre going to see Kiwi belongs at DE and will figure out a SLB..

[quote user="myles2424"]

[quote user="JJC7301"]If a DE is BPA, then I've got no problem with it. Would provide protection in case Osi splits, and would allow us to rush Tuck from the inside more.[/quote]

Osi isnt going anywhere....

So,another DE would mean no more Tollefson & Kiwi full time SLB.....Neither of wich I see happening.....

Tollefson will be resigned for cheap, with the amount of snaps a 4th DE is going to see why draft another in the 1st?

And I think theyre going to see Kiwi belongs at DE and will figure out a SLB..

[/quote]
    I keep Kiwi at SLB -- time to leave him in one place once and for all and he can come back to full time DE if there's an injury amongst the starters.

Plus, being able to bring Kiwi in a rush from the SLB along with the other DE's is a bonus.

The only reason why I would take yet another DE in the 1st is if it is some guy who was NEVER expected to drop that far and is almost impossible to pass on. Sort of like with Prince last year -- nobody expected him to be there for us.

[quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

Osi is gone this year or next. Tollefson is more than likely gone in FA this year. Kiwi possibly slides back to DE, but we'd still need the depth for the future and considering how much we prize DEs ... ?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...itney-mercilus[/quote]

I think Reese is going to extend his contract

I'd hope we'd see the O-Line addressed in the 1st.

If not that, a RB wouldn't, couldn't hurt.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="swimeasy"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="swimeasy"][quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

Osi is gone this year or next. Tollefson is more than likely gone in FA this year. Kiwi possibly slides back to DE, but we'd still need the depth for the future and considering how much we prize DEs ... ?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...itney-mercilus[/quote]

Kruunch, I really don't consider myself as having expertise on particular draft player specs and typically enjoy reading the comments from others here such as yourself for such detail.

That said, I really like your thinking here. Even though Osi is under contract for another year and the Giants certainly have other more pressing challenges, the subtle "remember me, remember I'm here and I'll take less' is already starting while other players who made major contributions to the SB run (and were also major team leadership influences) have kept quiet (Rolle). So it seems the 'Osi situation' will once again be grabbing attention, has already and is begging for a solution. It just might not be what is being bantered in the media.

Kiwi is definitely a team first player and has done everything the Giants have asked him to do, but he was a DE at BC and drafted as such so that would be a natural for him to transition back. If I was Kiwi I might also be happier playing at my more 'natural' position as well.

If Reese thinks that a DE is the BPA in the first, I could definitely see that being the choice. Like what you are proposing here, he seems to look down the street and not just to the next block.

[/quote]

I think Kiwi happens to be a MUCH better pass rushing DE then he is a SAM LBer and I fervantly hope they slide him back to DE in 2012.

With that said, Osi may or may not be here in 2012. My gut feeling is that he will be because he has no leverage and physically sitting out and/or playing games like he did in 2011 will so hurt his stock in the 2013 FA class that it'd be almost criminal (I'm sure his agent is already wanting to push him off a cliff at this point). However, I doubt Osi re-signs with the Giants in 2013 so you have to start looking ahead and since DE is the #1 prime position for the Giants, is why I can see them picking a DE in the first.

However I think between Osi, Kiwi, Tuck and JPP we have enough DE depth for 2012 that I wouldn't mind seeing them address other needs first (as reflected in my mock draft in my sig).[/quote]

I agree about Kiwi as a complete DE. He is also a very articulate leader. I hear ya about other needs. My thing has been and is still the Oline, but I know I just need to expect to be surprised again with Reese and TE has recently become a glaring need as has been discussed.

Indeed, Osi will do what's best for Osi in the end and I need to bite my tongue (keyboard) as he is already getting on my nerves again. Now that there has been the sound bite - counter sound bite between Osi and Reese, he needs to quiet down and let the serious work play out.
    [/quote]

Well if we're going Oline you'd think we'd be angling for a Right Tackle to replace Kareem McKenzie (assuming we don't re-sign him as a Free Agent this year).

If that's the case, the decent tackles you'd be looking at in the first round are Cordy Glenn and Mark Adams both of which are slated to go somewhere in the 20s in the first round. Should one of those fall to us, I could see us taking one (a lot of people are really high on Glenn because he can play both OG and OT).

Historically speaking we don't like to take an Olineman in the first round (who does?!) but seeing as we're picking #32 and there is a definite need, anything is possible. Having said that, both will probably be gone by the time we pick.

Past that for OT we have Amina Silatolu in the second round who is another OG who can play OT and is a physical speciman and could very well be our second round pick in almost any format (thanks to Slipknot for turning me on to this guy). I really like this guy if we're going for an OT on Day 1 of the draft.

However, as reflected by my mock draft, we have some other real possibilities with our #2 pick.

If either Coby Fleener (TE) or Dwayne Allen (TE) fall to the #64 pick, we might very well jump on either.

Similarly we can add some quality depth and a potential third starting Safety with George Iloka (FS).

Then you have Mohamed Sanu (WR) who might fall to #64 because of his Combine 40 times but is considered by everyone to be a taller version of Hakeem Nicks (being a Rutgers fan, I can say without a doubt he reminds me A LOT of Nicks).

So a lot of choices depending which way the Giants want to go with their number one and what their draft boards look like overall (and what they perceive as need vs. desire vs BPA).[/quote]

Wow Kruunch, thanks for your time and effort transcribing your thoughts on Oline draft potential. Much appreciated.

I'm still a bit concerned with the Baas/Boothe center experiment. Boothe seemed to do better, but the snaps were still shaky. No doubt that will be on TC's camp to do list.

+ Reply to Thread