+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: DE in the First?

[quote user="Mod_C"][quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

Osi is gone this year or next. Tollefson is more than likely gone in FA this year. Kiwi possibly slides back to DE, but we'd still need the depth for the future and considering how much we prize DEs ... ?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...itney-mercilus[/quote]

I think Reese is going to extend his contract
    [/quote]

I have a feeling you're right.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="swimeasy"]I'm still a bit concerned with the Baas/Boothe center experiment. Boothe seemed to do better, but the snaps were still shaky. No doubt that will be on TC's camp to do list.*
    [/quote]

Swim I have to say you are easily one of the most polite posters on this board recently (and a refreshing change of pace). [b]

I can understand being uneasy about our Center situation but I'll mention something here that hasn't been brought up before (at least prominently) regarding this:

Our Oline prior to this year had been together for 5 years without fail. In 2010 we had a bunch of injuries to several starters and that seemed to be the impetus to finally pull the trigger on retooling the Oline. Baas, while not looking impressive in the least, is new to both our Oline process AND the position itself (he'd only had one year prior to this as a Center with the 9ers).

Now history has proven Jerry Reese to do well on his bigger FA signings ... just not right away (Boley, Canty, Rolle all having subpar first years). I've learned not to bet against JR, and I happen to think we have an excellent personel department. So I'm willing to wait and see if Baas matures and I think he will (he will almost certainly start at Center given his contract in 2012).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="myles2424"]

[quote user="JJC7301"]If a DE is BPA, then I've got no problem with it. Would provide protection in case Osi splits, and would allow us to rush Tuck from the inside more.[/quote]

Osi isnt going anywhere....

So,another DE would mean no more Tollefson & Kiwi full time SLB.....Neither of wich I see happening.....

Tollefson will be resigned for cheap, with the amount of snaps a 4th DE is going to see why draft another in the 1st?

And I think theyre going to see Kiwi belongs at DE and will figure out a SLB..

[/quote]

I would like to see Kiwi slide back to DE but I think you're right ... I think they keep him at LB.

Tollefson is a big question mark. I could see a team overspending slightly for him (think Boss and the Raiders last year) as the buzz word will be pass rush next year I don't see him on the Giants next year (and not out of lack of desire on our part).

DE has been proven and quoted as being the Giants primary #1 position. So it's hard to say if they jump this again. I have a feeling they keep Osi (extend him) and will throw a bunch of project DEs at the position at the end of this years draft.

That and Whitney Merceilus helped himself with the Combine and solidified his draft spot so chances are he won't be available in the first.

[quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

Osi is gone this year or next. Tollefson is more than likely gone in FA this year. Kiwi possibly slides back to DE, but we'd still need the depth for the future and considering how much we prize DEs ... ?

Osi is either going to be back for the nest 3-4 years or hes gone.

if hes gone then I def say that a DE is in the cards
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

[/quote]

I don't think I agree with this.

It's possible he's extended. But whether he is or isn't, I think he's a lock to be here in 2012 barring two really unlikely possibilities:

1) He sits out the season
    2) A team offers us a first round pick in a trade for him.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

[/quote]

It's possible he's extended. But whether he is or isn't, I think he's a lock to be here in 2012 barring two really unlikely possibilities:

2) A team offers us a first round pick in a trade for him.[/quote]

i'd take a 2nd rounder now.

Last year not so much, but we KNOW we're going to lose him if we don't extend him this year so I woul dDEF take a 2nd rounder for him this year. And I think somebody would DEF give a 2nd rounder for him. 12.5 sacks in 13 games.

IF we get offered a first rounder for him, I don't care if we do hav eosmething worked out for him, I think I would still want him traded i think. Go give the money u worked out with him to like John Abraham or something like that and get a first rounder

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

[/quote]

Last year not so much, but we KNOW we're going to lose him if we don't extend him this year so I woul dDEF take a 2nd rounder for him this year.* And I think somebody would DEF give a 2nd rounder for him. 12.5 sacks in 13 games.

IF we get offered a first rounder for him, I don't care if we do hav eosmething worked out for him, I think I would still want him traded i think. Go give the money u worked out with him to like John Abraham or something like that and get a first rounder
    [/quote]

I wouldn't touch Abraham (and he'll want more money then we'd be willing to spend I'd think).

We opened up the trade for a 1st at the beginning of the season and there weren't any takers. I don't think there would be now but yeah I'd take it if offered.

I'm not sure the Giants would consider him worth trading for a 2nd round pick. I think they foresee him being more valuable for 1 year, then a 2nd round pick will be in the future (and I tend to agree with this). But we'll see ... if I was another team I'd give up a second for Osi but his age, injury and contract desires are all stumbling blocks to that happening.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"]What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus with our first pick?

[/quote]

Last year not so much, but we KNOW we're going to lose him if we don't extend him this year so I woul dDEF take a 2nd rounder for him this year. And I think somebody would DEF give a 2nd rounder for him. 12.5 sacks in 13 games.

[/quote]

I wouldn't touch Abraham (and he'll want more money then we'd be willing to spend I'd think).

We opened up the trade for a 1st at the beginning of the season and there weren't any takers. I don't think there would be now but yeah I'd take it if offered.

I'm not sure the Giants would consider him worth trading for a 2nd round pick. I think they foresee him being more valuable for 1 year, then a 2nd round pick will be in the future (and I tend to agree with this). But we'll see ... if I was another team I'd give up a second for Osi but his age, injury and contract desires are all stumbling blocks to that happening.[/quote]

yea i highly doubt a 1st rounder would be in the cards for Osi, just saying that if it were offered I would do it regardless if we had somethign worked out with him or not.

I think last year for a 2nd was a different situation. We weren't sure that JPP would be where he is, we have a horrid 3 year span of cap issues coming up, and he only has one year left on the deal oppose to 2.

There were teams offering 2nd rounders last year reportedly though. I am pretty sure that after he got that surgery (which was a lingering situation) and then came through with 12.5 sacks in 13 games will still warrant a 2nd rounder.

I agree he's worth a 2nd round offer and I also think we'll get one.

I'm just not sure we'll take it.

For as good as JPP was, he disappeared when double teamed and our DLine didn't shine until Osi came back AND Tuck started playing like Tuck.

I would be thrilled if Merciless dropped to us, though I doubt it. From the limited tape I saw, seemed like every time he was blocked one-on-one, either the play was designed the other way or he was in the backfield making something happen.