+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Re: DE in the First?

and i'll say even more if u want to include 3-4 OLBs - but im not sure how that works... they probably group defensive ends together regardless of style of defense
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

and also Giants may have the leverage to keep him for 2012, but if its in our best interest is where we disagree

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]and also Giants may have the leverage to keep him for 2012, but if its in our best interest is where we disagree
    [/quote]

We'll see in the next few weeks.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

that we will

but I have a question - u seem to have a better idea of the cap and franchise tags and such

how does the tag work on defense for like d-ends and olbs???

I mean does the 3-4 and 4-3 matter?

IS it just all DEs and all OLBs or do they factor in that a 4-3 DE is essentially the same as a a 3-4 OLB. Or at least MORE similiar

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]that we will

but I have a question - u seem to have a better idea of the cap and franchise tags and such

how does the tag work on defense for like d-ends and olbs???

I mean does the 3-4 and 4-3 matter?

IS it just all DEs and all OLBs or do they factor in that a 4-3 DE is essentially the same as a a 3-4 OLB. Or at least MORE similiar
    [/quote]

To be honest, I'm not sure if OLBs and DEs are under the same tag. Off hand I'd say no, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they are (anyone know of a franchised OLB in a 3-4?).

The 2012 Franschise Tag for a DE is 10.6 mil and LBer is 8.8 mil.

*EDIT* After a little searching it appears that they are separate tags:

On February 19, 2008, the Ravens placed the franchise tag on Suggs. He initially filed a grievance because the team had designated him as a LB with the franchise tag rather than a DE, which resulted in a monetary difference of about $800,000. Despite being unhappy with the franchise tag, Suggs reported to off-season mini-camps to practice with the team. On May 13, 2008, he reached an agreement with the team to split the difference in the franchise tag amounts of a LB and a DE and drop his grievance.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Suggs

I'm not sure if this was carried through in the current CBA.

I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="swimeasy"]I'm still a bit concerned with the Baas/Boothe center experiment. Boothe seemed to do better, but the snaps were still shaky. No doubt that will be on TC's camp to do list.
    [/quote]

Swim I have to say you are easily one of the most polite posters on this board recently (and a refreshing change of pace). [b]

I can understand being uneasy about our Center situation but I'll mention something here that hasn't been brought up before (at least prominently) regarding this:

Our Oline prior to this year had been together for 5 years without fail. In 2010 we had a bunch of injuries to several starters and that seemed to be the impetus to finally pull the trigger on retooling the Oline. Baas, while not looking impressive in the least, is new to both our Oline process AND the position itself (he'd only had one year prior to this as a Center with the 9ers).

Now history has proven Jerry Reese to do well on his bigger FA signings ... just not right away (Boley, Canty, Rolle all having subpar first years). I've learned not to bet against JR, and I happen to think we have an excellent personel department. So I'm willing to wait and see if Baas matures and I think he will (he will almost certainly start at Center given his contract in 2012).[/quote]

Thanks again for your response Kruunch. And thank you for your kind words. I did get a chuckle out of it as my rep at work is the opposite. (It can be a challenge to be a New Yorker outside of the tri-state area) Maybe I should use you as a reference.[]

OMG this thread has grown. Always appreciate everyone's insights. I know I understand only a fraction of it but will be following what Reese does with perhaps a more educated eye nonetheless. []

I've got no problem with a DE. I want to keep Osi, but I don't know if it's going to happen. Plus, I want Kiwi to stay at LB.

I'd prefer o-line or secondary with the 1st, but whoever the BPA is, is fine by me. DT wouldn't be bad either because Bernard is so-so, we don't know what Austin is going to be, and Canty is $6 million per year.

Veteran

This year it's supposed to be deep in DT prospects.

Whenever we draft a DE, I usual feel safe it's a solid pick. (Of course with the exception of the blind man)

[quote user="M0rbid"]This year it's supposed to be deep in DT prospects.
    [/quote]
    I've got no problem with a DT.