better.

The Super Bowl hero insisted that he never said he’s “75
    percent” sure he won’t be back with the Giants
    next season. Instead, in an
    interview on WFAN on Tuesday morning
    , he put the odds at
    “50-50”.

But the 25-year-old receiver also told WFAN hosts Craig Carton
    and Boomer Esiason that he’s gotten the impression from the Giants that “I don’t
    think they’re ready to do anything.” That could be an ominous sign for
    Manningham with the opening of free agency just two weeks away.

“We’re
    not sure what’s going on right now,” Maninningham said “We’re just going to take
    it slow and see what’s going on, let the smoke clear a little bit. You just
    never know where I’m going to end up at.”

The hot rumor has been that
    Manningham, whom one league source said is hoping to get a deal worth $6-7
    million per season, is a lock to land in Tampa Bay where the Bucs have a
    reported $50 million in salary cap space and former Giants receivers coach Mike
    Sullivan as their new offensive coordinator. Manningham dismissed that rumor as
    “just words”.

“You know how the media do it,” Manningham said “I haven’t
    heard anything like that until the other day. People don’t really know what’s
    going on. They don’t know where I really want to go.”

So where does
    Manningham want to go when he becomes a free agent on March 13?

“I want
    to stay here,” he said. “But if it’s not here, I’m sure it’s somewhere
    else.”

Staying with the Giants might be impossible, especially if
    Manningham really does want to be paid like a starting receiver. The Giants are
    currently over the projected 2012 salary cap, which most NFL insiders believe
    will be about $120 million (though there is already one report saying it could
    be even less). The Giants have 21 unrestricted free agents, so giving anyone a
    deal that big could be tough.

And Manningham -- who started the
    game-winning drive of Super Bowl XLVI with a brilliant, 38-yard catch along the
    sidelines -- didn’t sound like he was willing to take significantly less to stay
    with the team that drafted him in the third round in 2008.

“Um … I’m not
    sure yet,” Manningham said. “I have to see what’s going on with the rest of the
    receivers. I’m not sure, man. I’m not sure.”

That reality is why it made
    sense when he was quoted in the Youngstown
    (Ohio) Vindicator
    on Saturday saying he thought there was a “75 percent”
    chance he wouldn’t return to the Giants next season. Speaking at an event at his
    old high school, where he was being honored and presented with the key to his
    home city, also indicated his role in the offense would be a factor in where he
    signed.

“I just want the ball more,” he said. “That’s all.”

With
    the Giants last season, Manningham caught 39 passes for 523 yards in 12 games,
    but he has clearly fallen behind both Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz in the
    offensive pecking order. In fact, when asked on WFAN whether it was more likely
    the Giants would re-sign him or give a new contract to Cruz, Manningham said
    “They’ll probably go with Vic.”

And where would that leave Manningham?

"I just want to go wherever God leads me. That’s all," Manninghame said. "He
    won’t make a bad decision. I just want to go to somebody good that I can compete
    for the Super Bowl again."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: SUPER MARIO UPS THE ODDS ON HIS RETURN

I would say he only has about a 5% chance of returning.

Mario is a very good player and he should try to get more money but he also needs to be football smart and go where there are at least two other players who could give him more chances to get one on one majority of the time.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]SUPER MARIO UPS THE ODDS ON HIS RETURN

"The odds of Mario Manningham returning to the Giants just got a little better.

The Super Bowl hero insisted that he never said he’s “75 percent” sure he won’t be back with the Giants next season. Instead, in an interview on WFAN on Tuesday morning, he put the odds at “50-50”.

But the 25-year-old receiver also told WFAN hosts Craig Carton and Boomer Esiason that he’s gotten the impression from the Giants that “I don’t think they’re ready to do anything.” That could be an ominous sign for Manningham with the opening of free agency just two weeks away.

“We’re not sure what’s going on right now,” Maninningham said “We’re just going to take it slow and see what’s going on, let the smoke clear a little bit. You just never know where I’m going to end up at.”

The hot rumor has been that Manningham, whom one league source said is hoping to get a deal worth $6-7 million per season, is a lock to land in Tampa Bay where the Bucs have a reported $50 million in salary cap space and former Giants receivers coach Mike Sullivan as their new offensive coordinator. Manningham dismissed that rumor as “just words”.

“You know how the media do it,” Manningham said “I haven’t heard anything like that until the other day. People don’t really know what’s going on. They don’t know where I really want to go.”

So where does Manningham want to go when he becomes a free agent on March 13?

“I want to stay here,” he said. “But if it’s not here, I’m sure it’s somewhere else.”

Staying with the Giants might be impossible, especially if Manningham really does want to be paid like a starting receiver. The Giants are currently over the projected 2012 salary cap, which most NFL insiders believe will be about $120 million (though there is already one report saying it could be even less). The Giants have 21 unrestricted free agents, so giving anyone a deal that big could be tough.

And Manningham -- who started the game-winning drive of Super Bowl XLVI with a brilliant, 38-yard catch along the sidelines -- didn’t sound like he was willing to take significantly less to stay with the team that drafted him in the third round in 2008.

“Um … I’m not sure yet,” Manningham said. “I have to see what’s going on with the rest of the receivers. I’m not sure, man. I’m not sure.”

That reality is why it made sense when he was quoted in the Youngstown (Ohio) Vindicator on Saturday saying he thought there was a “75 percent” chance he wouldn’t return to the Giants next season. Speaking at an event at his old high school, where he was being honored and presented with the key to his home city, also indicated his role in the offense would be a factor in where he signed.

“I just want the ball more,” he said. “That’s all.”

With the Giants last season, Manningham caught 39 passes for 523 yards in 12 games, but he has clearly fallen behind both Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz in the offensive pecking order. In fact, when asked on WFAN whether it was more likely the Giants would re-sign him or give a new contract to Cruz, Manningham said “They’ll probably go with Vic.”

And where would that leave Manningham?

"I just want to go wherever God leads me. That’s all," Manninghame said. "He won’t make a bad decision. I just want to go to somebody good that I can compete for the Super Bowl again."

[/quote]

then Rio should just stay right here and take the Giants offer. he'll compete then!

Mario said he just wants the ball more, so maybe he isn't going to ask for the big bucks and he stays..

[quote user="JesseJames"]Mario said he just wants the ball more, so maybe he isn't going to ask for the big bucks and he stays.. [/quote]

Maybe he should change his name to MarT.O.. "Gimme the damn, ball. I want the ball. Throw the ball to me more". Me, me, me, me,me! Why doesn't he take a page outta Jacob's book who gave up part of his salary in order to keep Bradshaw. What did Jacobs get out of it - another superbowl ring!

Giants - don't let MarT.O. hold you by the puppet strings. He thinks he can get it better elsewhere, so be it. Let him go. He'll be sitting at home in January.

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]I would say he only has about a 5% chance of returning.[/quote]

I would put it at 0%
    Giants fan since '58

Free agency starts March 13. That's when things will start happening for Free Agents.

Forget Mario's percentage saga...

[quote user="bigjeep"][quote user="nygsb42champs"]I would say he only has about a 5% chance of returning.[/quote] I would put it at 0%[/quote]

^^this

And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “**** waffles.”......G Carlin

You really can;t fault any receiver for wanting the ball more. Mario has made some spectacular catches but he also has had route running issues, especially when along the side lines and not giving himself enough cushion. In the Super Bowl he had a similar opportunity to the miracle catch along the right sideline and was out of bounds.

We should just wish him well.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1