+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AWESOME OSI OVER SUPER MARIO? Y-E-S

AWESOME OSI OVER SUPER MARIO" Y-E-S - VIDEO

"It was the first post-championship buzz-kill of the new year when Giants
    general manager Jerry Reese told reporters at the NFL scouting combine over the
    weekend that the Giants might have to say goodbye to Super Bowl hero Mario Manningham -- and Manningham agreed
    with him that he's played his last Giants game. But the Giants are right to
    prioritize settling defensive end Osi Umenyiora's contract status. Umenyiora's
    presence is a big part of what made them unique -- and unbeatable -- in their
    last two Super Bowl runs.

Reese is too keenly aware of the vagaries of personnel decisions to brag
    about how he just had one of the great I-told-you-so seasons that a GM could
    have. Last summer he let All-Pro wideout Steve Smith and tight end Kevin Boss walk, even though they were two
    of Eli Manning's favorite targets. And all that
    got the Giants was a franchise record-setting season from overnight sensation Victor Cruz and the last laugh over the NFC
    East rival Eagles, who spent the offseason chasing some splashy "dream team"
    signings that included Smith.

Now the Giants find themselves again bumping up against the salary cap, and
    they are forced to make more harsh roster decisions. But if you forget for a
    moment what a beautiful, acrobatic and clutch catch Manningham made along the
    sideline to spark the Giants' game-winning Super Bowl drive, the harsh truth is
    this: If you were to draw up a list of players the Giants should re-sign or give
    a pay bump to before Manningham, he would probably rank no higher than No. 5, at
    best.

Umenyiora, Victor Cruz, punter Steve Weatherford and Brandon Jacobs are all ahead of Manningham.
    Tight end Jake Ballard (though out with ACL surgery)
    is among the Giants' 21 free agents, too.

No wonder Reese demurred Saturday when asked to handicap Manningham's chances
    of coming back.

"I don't think it's fair to frame the odds on that," Reese told reporters at
    the combine. "He's a good football player and obviously players, when free
    agency comes around for them, they want to make as much money as possible. So
    we'll see how it unfolds."

Making Manningham no better than the Giants' fifth-best priority is a tough
    thing to write. Especially for someone (me) who thought it would've been a
    terrific gesture if Manning had taken the keys to that new Corvette he got for
    winning his second Super Bowl MVP award and lobbed them right to Manningham
    before they left the victory platform immediately after the game. Because as
    brilliant as Manning's throw was, Manningham's tightroping 38-yard catch along
    the sideline with two defenders about to smack him was even better.

That's the sort of sentimental gesture that would've been great to see.

But reaching for Manningham when the Giants' big-picture suggests they have a
    lot of other needs? No. That makes less sense.

This isn't a Steve Smith redux. That call by the Giants was tougher. Smith
    had already been to a Pro Bowl and had a 100-catch season when he was allowed to
    walk. Manningham's career highs are 60 catches and nine TDs, but he dipped to
    just 39 and four in 12 games played in 2011.

Coughlin has already said he believes Jerrel Jernigan can move into Manningham's
    No. 3 receiving slot alongside Hakeem Nicks and Cruz, and -- even more to
    the point -- it's already been proved that having a three-headed pass rush like
    the Giants used during their last two title runs makes even the best
    quarterbacks look ordinary and vulnerable.

The effect of the Giants' pass rush on opposing offenses was devastating.
    Every play was like roulette. Whom do you double-team when they're all coming?
    The sum of them is even greater than the parts.

Reese's predecessor, Ernie Accorsi, always used to say the two hardest things
    to find in the NFL are a franchise quarterback and linemen who can rush the
    passer.

The Giants have both. And there's no reason to mess with such an enviable and
    winning combination now.

Umenyiora has been hurt often, it's true. And next season he'll be 30. But
    when he came back late last season, his effect on the Giants' stumbling defense
    was transformative. Umenyiora came back from his latest knee injury to gouge out
    5˝ sacks in the last five games, just as Tuck was getting healthier too. And the
    Giants ran the table.

So as long as Umenyiora doesn't make some crazy demands and as long as the
    Giants don't insult him by telling him he has to prove himself yet again, this
    is a deal that should get done. And it needs to get done.

Umenyiora had his grievances against Reese and the team a year ago, and it
    was hard to blame him. He was underpaid after the 10.5 sacks and 10 forced
    fumbles he caused in 2010, and when he said he wanted a raise before the 2011
    season, the Giants' response -- a contract is a contract -- made him unhappy
    enough to file a lawsuit, allege that Reese reneged on a promise to renegotiate
    his contract, and threaten a long holdout. But give Umenyiora this: When he did
    shut up and play, he was everything the Giants could've asked for. He kept his
    word to leave the off-field business off the field, just as teammates like Tuck
    predicted he would.

And Reese has been smart enough not to hold a grudge.

So the Giants should do what they can to keep a winning combination going
    even if it means accepting the idea that with Umenyiora, it might always be
    something. And if Manningham looks around, decides the grass doesn't look all
    that greener someplace else after all, and decides to stay for something short
    of a windfall, as Brandon Jacobs is willing to do? Even better.

Who wants to risk being Jerry Reese's latest I-told-you-so?"

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: AWESOME OSI OVER SUPER MARIO? Y-E-S

thanks Ro...

I think the decisons last season regarding Smith and Boss were not as difficult as the media makes it seem.

1...Boss is one good hit away from missinggames because of his history with concussions which he proved at the Raiders. Plus they gave him 8 mil. Easy decsion if yuo ask me.

2....Smith was not cleared by the Giants med staff and was insistant and saying he was good to go. Who do listen to....they player or the docs??. You listen to the docs. They were right of course. Another easy decision IMO.

No the fact that Ballard and Cruz worked out so well makes Reeses' decsions that much more genius is a cherry on the cake so to speak.

This year he has a MUCH more difficult job of jockying money and contract to com eunder the cp AND keep what he may deem as key players.

BTW....if Eli gave the Corvette keys to Manningham...... Tuck would be not have appreciated that......just sayin'......

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

[quote user="GameTime"]

thanks Ro...

I think the decisons last season regarding Smith and Boss were not as difficult as the media makes it seem.

1...Boss is one good hit away from missinggames because of his history with concussions which he proved at the Raiders. Plus they gave him 8 mil. Easy decsion if yuo ask me.

2....Smith was not cleared by the Giants med staff and was insistant and saying he was good to go. Who do listen to....they player or the docs??. You listen to the docs. They were right of course. Another easy decision IMO.

No the fact that Ballard and Cruz worked out so well makes Reeses' decsions that much more genius is a cherry on the cake so to speak.

This year he has a MUCH more difficult job of jockying money and contract to com eunder the cp AND keep what he may deem as key players.

BTW....if Eli gave the Corvette keys to Manningham...... Tuck would be not have appreciated that......just sayin'......

[/quote]

We have to defer to Reese's judgment in these matters now. The other day someone posted that Reese needed to get his priorities in order because a media head suggested that we were looking at a particular player/position and the poster was indignant that Reese would do that. I almost went ballistic. Here's a guy who has made far more right decisions than not.

Smith and Boss are the most recent examples. I can rememeber when Smith went to the Eagles and training camp was underway all of the negative hype we heard when Cruz dropped a pass in practice.

We are a fickle bunch to be sure but those who can't now take a breath and let Reese's pieces get the job done need to find another calling.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Thanks RF! I would take Osi over Manningham in a hearbeat. nothing against Mario but he is at best our 3 WR. Osi adds so much to our d-line.

If Salary cap wasnt an issue mario would be here but it is. I hate to lose him but its the nature of the game. I would rather lose him then lose Nicks or Cruz

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]Thanks RF! I would take Osi over Manningham in a hearbeat. nothing against Mario but he is at best our 3 WR. Osi adds so much to our d-line.[/quote]i agree 100%...no brainer, IMO.....

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]Thanks RF! I would take Osi over Manningham in a hearbeat. nothing against Mario but he is at best our 3 WR. Osi adds so much to our d-line.[/quote]

Sort of a no-brainer

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]Thanks RF! I would take Osi over Manningham in a hearbeat. nothing against Mario but he is at best our 3 WR. Osi adds so much to our d-line.[/quote]Osi is in the same situation as Mario. Mario does have the speed to seperate and if the pass by Eli was a little bit better in the Superbowl, Mario could have caught the pass and ran the ball in for a td or a bigger gain. Give Mario more quicker routes mix with the deep ones and he could be a real valuable receiver. Oh and he is also young.

[quote user="Diamondring"][quote user="nygsb42champs"]Thanks RF! I would take Osi over Manningham in a hearbeat. nothing against Mario but he is at best our 3 WR. Osi adds so much to our d-line.[/quote]Osi is in the same situation as Mario. Mario does have the speed to seperate and if the pass by Eli was a little bit better in the Superbowl, Mario could have caught the pass and ran the ball in for a td or a bigger gain. Give Mario more quicker routes mix with the deep ones and he could be a real valuable receiver. Oh and he is also young.[/quote]

WTF????come on man....2 inches in either direction and that pass was incomplete. That completion was the perfect mix of pass and catch......

I dont get that statement at all...

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

[quote user="GameTime"]

[quote user="Diamondring"][quote user="nygsb42champs"]Thanks RF! I would take Osi over Manningham in a hearbeat. nothing against Mario but he is at best our 3 WR. Osi adds so much to our d-line.[/quote]Osi is in the same situation as Mario. Mario does have the speed to seperate and if the pass by Eli was a little bit better in the Superbowl, Mario could have caught the pass and ran the ball in for a td or a bigger gain. Give Mario more quicker routes mix with the deep ones and he could be a real valuable receiver. Oh and he is also young.[/quote]

WTF????come on man....2 inches in either direction and that pass was incomplete. That completion was the perfect mix of pass and catch......

I dont get that statement at all...

[/quote]That pass was very good but not pefect. This is was I said a little better. A little better and that pass would have been pefect and Mario could have ran that ball for td.