+ Reply to Thread

THE COMBINE: WATCHING PAINT DRY?

THE COMBINE: WATCHING PAINT DRY?

"So I made it a point to watch some of the Combine on the NFL Network this
    past weekend, just to kind of get a feel for what it was about and if it was
    worth this hardcore football fan's time. The Combine, which began last Thursday
    and wraps up today in Indianapolis, is a great opportunity for coaches, scouts
    and GMs to evaluate talent. And it's programming the NFL Network can put on a
    few weeks after the Super Bowl, when most football fans are following
    basketball, hockey, NASCAR or, I don't know, The Weather Channel.

Anyway, I turned it on with an open mind, just in time for Rich Eisen to ask
    his fellow commentators such as Brian Billick what you do with film from the
    Combine. He really asked Billick, "What do you do with this? It's like your
    wedding video, isn't it?" The answer is you go back and you analyze each
    player's skills against your draft needs. Which means you watch it a few more
    times than your wedding video.

But I was pleasantly surprised that not fifteen minutes in, Jerry Reese
    appeared for an interview. I struck gold! Reese told Eisen and company that he
    uses the Combine to confirm things the scouts saw watching these players in the
    fall. He also showed his support again for coach Tom Coughlin and joked that
    last year at 10-6 and not making the playoffs, he looked dumb by keeping
    Coughlin. But after going 9-7 and winning it all, he looks smart for keeping TC
    and for not making a huge splash player-wise in the offseason. Reese went on to
    talk about how it's okay to draft at number 32, because you can wind up with
    players like Mario
    Manningham
    in the third round as the Giants did the year
    after winning it all four years ago.

Unfortunately, it went downhill from the Reese interview. I watched very
    large men--some O-linemen and then some tight ends--sprint, run sideways and
    backwards, jump high, jump far, and bench press a lot of weight. And this
    interested me, um, not at all.

So yeah, watching the Combine is like watching paint dry--maybe not quite as
    bad, but let's just say you have to love football more than you love anything
    else to get a charge out of it. Or you have to be an aspiring coach. Or you have
    to be someone that wants to escape his honey-do list for a few hours, and try to
    kill one afternoon out of hundreds to go until we have real football
    again."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: THE COMBINE: WATCHING PAINT DRY?

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]THE COMBINE:* WATCHING PAINT DRY?

"So I made it a point to watch some of the Combine on the NFL Network this
    past weekend, just to kind of get a feel for what it was about and if it was
    worth this hardcore football fan's time. The Combine, which began last Thursday
    and wraps up today in Indianapolis, is a great opportunity for coaches, scouts
    and GMs to evaluate talent. And it's programming the NFL Network can put on a
    few weeks after the Super Bowl, when most football fans are following
    basketball, hockey, NASCAR or, I don't know, The Weather Channel.

Anyway, I turned it on with an open mind, just in time for Rich Eisen to ask
    his fellow commentators such as Brian Billick what you do with film from the
    Combine. He really asked Billick, "What do you do with this? It's like your
    wedding video, isn't it?" The answer is you go back and you analyze each
    player's skills against your draft needs. Which means you watch it a few more
    times than your wedding video.

But I was pleasantly surprised that not fifteen minutes in, Jerry Reese
    appeared for an interview. I struck gold! Reese told Eisen and company that he
    uses the Combine to confirm things the scouts saw watching these players in the
    fall. He also showed his support again for coach Tom Coughlin and joked that
    last year at 10-6 and not making the playoffs, he looked dumb by keeping
    Coughlin. But after going 9-7 and winning it all, he looks smart for keeping TC
    and for not making a huge splash player-wise in the offseason. Reese went on to
    talk about how it's okay to draft at number 32, because you can wind up with
    players like Mario
    Manningham
    in the third round as the Giants did the year
    after winning it all four years ago.

Unfortunately, it went downhill from the Reese interview. I watched very
    large men--some O-linemen and then some tight ends--sprint, run sideways and
    backwards, jump high, jump far, and bench press a lot of weight. And this
    interested me, um, not at all.

So yeah, watching the Combine is like watching paint dry--maybe not quite as
    bad, but let's just say you have to love football more than you love anything
    else to get a charge out of it. Or you have to be an aspiring coach. Or you have
    to be someone that wants to escape his honey-do list for a few hours, and try to
    kill one afternoon out of hundreds to go until we have real football
    again."

[/quote]
    to each his own. I enjoy watching the drills. You can really see the difference between the skill levels, it's fun, interesting, and typically there is nothing else on anyway.