+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CBA BLOCKS GIANTS' ABILITY TO EXTEND DAVE TOLLEFSON'S CONTRACT

CBA BLOCKS GIANTS' ABILITY TO EXTEND DAVE TOLLEFSON'S CONTRACT

"If the New York
    Giants wish to re-sign defensive end Dave
    Tollefson
    , they're going to have to wait until his current deal expires
    on March 13th and he tests free agent waters.

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Vince Young (8) runs
    downfield in the first quarter of their NFL football game against the New York Giants in East Rutherford, New Jersey, November
    20, 2011. At left is Giants' Dave
    Tollefson
    (71) and at the back are Eagles' Jason Peters (71) and Todd
    Herremans (79). REUTERS/Mike Segar (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT FOOTBALL)

Because Tollefson played under a “minimum salary benefit deal” last season -a
    one-year contract for the veteran minimum that counts for less against the
    salary cap- the Giants are unable to extend or renegotiate his contract under
    the rules laid out in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Instead,
    his current deal must be allowed to expire and he must officially become a free
    agent before the team can reach out to him to discuss a new deal.

The Giants have expressed an interest in Tollefson returning, but he may
    ultimately seek an opportunity for more playing time or a bump in salary.

In 16 games last season, Tollefson had 21 tackles, five sacks and two forced
    fumbles as a reserve, although he did start two games because of injuries to
    other players.

Tollefson is often vastly underrated due to the incredible talent that plays
    around him, but as a #4 DE, he's about as valuable and talented as they come.
    He's spent the last five seasons with the Giants, and has contributed both on
    defense and special teams.

In 2011, he earned a base salary of $685,000 (plus $50,000 in incentives),
    but only $525,000 was held against the cap."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: CBA BLOCKS GIANTS' ABILITY TO EXTEND DAVE TOLLEFSON'S CONTRACT

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]CBA BLOCKS GIANTS' ABILITY TO EXTEND DAVE TOLLEFSON'S CONTRACT

"If the New York Giants wish to re-sign defensive end Dave Tollefson, they're going to have to wait until his current deal expires on March 13th and he tests free agent waters.

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Vince Young (8) runs downfield in the first quarter of their NFL football game against the New York Giants in East Rutherford, New Jersey, November 20, 2011. At left is Giants' Dave Tollefson (71) and at the back are Eagles' Jason Peters (71) and Todd Herremans (79). REUTERS/Mike Segar (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT FOOTBALL)

Because Tollefson played under a “minimum salary benefit deal” last season -a one-year contract for the veteran minimum that counts for less against the salary cap- the Giants are unable to extend or renegotiate his contract under the rules laid out in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Instead, his current deal must be allowed to expire and he must officially become a free agent before the team can reach out to him to discuss a new deal.

The Giants have expressed an interest in Tollefson returning, but he may ultimately seek an opportunity for more playing time or a bump in salary.

In 16 games last season, Tollefson had 21 tackles, five sacks and two forced fumbles as a reserve, although he did start two games because of injuries to other players.

Tollefson is often vastly underrated due to the incredible talent that plays around him, but as a #4 DE, he's about as valuable and talented as they come. He's spent the last five seasons with the Giants, and has contributed both on defense and special teams.

In 2011, he earned a base salary of $685,000 (plus $50,000 in incentives), but only $525,000 was held against the cap."

[/quote]

he has found his way back on the Giants squad every season. I think he wants to be here and will get an extension from them similar to what has now. Imagine that....playing that hard, was asked to do more this season because of injuries, contributing on STs as well and being paid way less then his DL teamates. I give him huge credit. But I guess that is the life of backup in the NFL many times.

I hope he stays....

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

We'll see the truth of that when he's offered $5mil/year to be a starter by a desperate Jets team.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"]We'll see the truth of that when he's offered $5mil/year to be a starter by a desperate Jets team.[/quote]

no way he gets a big offer like that.........

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

All-Pro

[quote user="GameTime"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]CBA BLOCKS GIANTS' ABILITY TO EXTEND DAVE TOLLEFSON'S CONTRACT

"If the New York Giants wish to re-sign defensive end Dave Tollefson, they're going to have to wait until his current deal expires on March 13th and he tests free agent waters.

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Vince Young (8) runs downfield in the first quarter of their NFL football game against the New York Giants in East Rutherford, New Jersey, November 20, 2011. At left is Giants' Dave Tollefson (71) and at the back are Eagles' Jason Peters (71) and Todd Herremans (79). REUTERS/Mike Segar (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT FOOTBALL)

Because Tollefson played under a “minimum salary benefit deal” last season -a one-year contract for the veteran minimum that counts for less against the salary cap- the Giants are unable to extend or renegotiate his contract under the rules laid out in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Instead, his current deal must be allowed to expire and he must officially become a free agent before the team can reach out to him to discuss a new deal.

The Giants have expressed an interest in Tollefson returning, but he may ultimately seek an opportunity for more playing time or a bump in salary.

In 16 games last season, Tollefson had 21 tackles, five sacks and two forced fumbles as a reserve, although he did start two games because of injuries to other players.

Tollefson is often vastly underrated due to the incredible talent that plays around him, but as a #4 DE, he's about as valuable and talented as they come. He's spent the last five seasons with the Giants, and has contributed both on defense and special teams.

In 2011, he earned a base salary of $685,000 (plus $50,000 in incentives), but only $525,000 was held against the cap."

[/quote]

he has found his way back on the Giants squad every season. I think he wants to be here and will get an extension from them similar to what has now. Imagine that....playing that hard, was asked to do more this season because of injuries, contributing on STs as well and being paid way less then his DL teamates. I give him huge credit. But I guess that is the life of backup in the NFL many times.

I hope he stays....

[/quote]

Eh, for $685K a year, Id bust my *** on every down too... Its still better then the $50K he would get as a working man.

[quote user="GameTime"]

[quote user="Kruunch"]We'll see the truth of that when he's offered $5mil/year to be a starter by a desperate Jets team.[/quote]

[/quote]

$5mil/year is cheap for a potential play making DE and fairly standard for a journeyman DE.

Don't be too surprised to see him get something along those lines.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="GameTime"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]CBA BLOCKS GIANTS' ABILITY TO EXTEND DAVE TOLLEFSON'S CONTRACT

[/quote]

I hope he stays....

[/quote]

This guy adds value to the team. I sure hope we can bring him back to keep the depth we have on the DLine
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="GameTime"]

[/quote]

$5mil/year is cheap for a potential play making DE and fairly standard for a journeyman DE.

Don't be too surprised to see him get something along those lines.[/quote]

He won't get $5mill/year but I could see him at least getting a raise to be in a 3-man rotation or the "first man up" on another team. Even if it's "only" a 200k raise per year, that's a ton of money, and it's a lot more money to someone like Tolly who isn't making millions (AND MILLIONS!) of dollars.

[quote user="Kruunch"]We'll see the truth of that when he's offered $5mil/year to be a starter by a desperate Jets team.[/quote]I'd bet with you that Tollefson doesn't get a contract that amounts to an APY of half your estimate.

Tollefson is solid depth, not a 5 mil per year pass rusher.

[quote user="gmen0820"][quote user="Kruunch"]We'll see the truth of that when he's offered $5mil/year to be a starter by a desperate Jets team.[/quote]I'd bet with you that Tollefson doesn't get a contract that amounts to an APY of half your estimate.

Tollefson is solid depth, not a 5 mil per year pass rusher.[/quote]

He is to us. As history has proven, the rest of the NFL tends to covet our roleplayers.

Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.