+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Myth of the 40 Time

Re: The Myth of the 40 Time

[quote user="bLuereverie"]I never considered Rice to be amongst the most explosive. Nor was Emmit Smith and so on and so forth. Those are just guys who just had the additional measure to really hone their craft.[/quote]

Then you didn't watch them play.

Both left people in the dust repeatedly and were nearly impossible to catch from behind (in fact I don't recall either being caught from behind ... ever).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Kruunch"][Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 at the Ceepo Combine and was the most explosive WR of all time.[/quote]

Mike Lombardi said when he was in oakland they timed Jerry Rice in the 4.3s on grass.

Mario manningham ran a 4.42 at his proday.

Fast players run fast 40s. I understand sometimes they have a bad day at the combine, but to think players who are football fast run slow in the 40.... well that just doesnt happen.[/quote]

Now you're quibbling.

Football fast and track fast just aren't the same thing. As proven ... there are guys who run amazing 40s and look like they're in tar on the field and guys with very pedestrian 40s who look and play with blazing speed in pads.

I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"]Football fast and track fast just aren't the same thing. As proven ... there are guys who run amazing 40s and look like they're in tar on the field and guys with very pedestrian 40s who look and play with blazing speed in pads.[/quote]

No, there arent. Guys who are really fast on the field run fast in the 40.

There are plenty of guys who play slow on the field but run a fast 40.

Thats the difference with the combine.

[quote user="smashndash715"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="smashndash715"]its yes and no..it is overrated..but at the end of the day if you have a linebacker that runs a 5.0 40 yd dash..regardless if he is running 40 yds on any given play i can bet you he is still not that explosive[/quote]

That's an extreme .. we're talking about 1 - 2 tenths of a second difference between an amazing 40 time and pedestrian 40 time (4.4 vs. 4.6).[/quote]

well thats what i mean..if one lb runs a 4.4 and another runs a 4.6 it doesnt mean you should take the 4.4 guy..it doesnt even mean the 4.4 will be faster during the game...i was saying only when its an extreme case is when you should show caution[/quote]

Yeah in that case I would agree.

One of the reasons I wasn't hyped about the Greg Jones pick last year (even as a 6th) ... he was both small AND slow. Horrible combination for an MLB in a C2 scheme.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="smashndash715"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="smashndash715"]its yes and no..it is overrated..but at the end of the day if you have a linebacker that runs a 5.0 40 yd dash..regardless if he is running 40 yds on any given play i can bet you he is still not that explosive[/quote]

That's an extreme .. we're talking about 1 - 2 tenths of a second difference between an amazing 40 time and pedestrian 40 time (4.4 vs. 4.6).[/quote]

well thats what i mean..if one lb runs a 4.4 and another runs a 4.6 it doesnt mean you should take the 4.4 guy..it doesnt even mean the 4.4 will be faster during the game...i was saying only when its an extreme case is when you should show caution[/quote]

Yeah in that case I would agree.

One of the reasons I wasn't hyped about the Greg Jones pick last year (even as a 6th) ... he was both small AND slow. Horrible combination for an MLB in a C2 scheme.[/quote]
    yea i doubt jones ever pans out to be anything more then a special teams player...im actually semi comfortable with our lb's right now which i havent felt in a while..kiwi played good..boley is a key part to our d..and i think j williams is gonna be a beast

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="bLuereverie"]I never considered Rice to be amongst the most explosive. Nor was Emmit Smith and so on and so forth. Those are just guys who just had the additional measure to really hone their craft.[/quote]

Both left people in the dust repeatedly and were nearly impossible to catch from behind (in fact I don't recall either being caught from behind ... ever).[/quote]

Ahhh here we go. The "obviously never saw them play" argument just because someone has a different evaluation from yours.

Never did I say Rice was slow, but never would I say he was amongst the fastest in his respective position let alone against the DBs he faced. Maybe stronger, well-balanced, smarter, so on and so forth plus playing in that SF West Coast helps.

Using the catch from behind situation is a poor example as every defender is at a disadvantage in that scenario. Saying Rice/Smith dominated because of their raw explosion/speed is just a farce of an argument and more of an insult to them because they compensated with so much more.

p.s. I saw them plenty.

Bench Player

The 40 is the benchmark to gauge the time it takes to cover a punt(ave punt is 40 yards).

The point anyway is I don't know why everything has to be so black and white in here. One side, 40 means everything whereas one side it's completely useless. Both sides are wrong.

It's a source of info for scouts to infer that is very much relevant, but hardly the penultimate.

[quote user="bLuereverie"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="bLuereverie"]I never considered Rice to be amongst the most explosive. Nor was Emmit Smith and so on and so forth. Those are just guys who just had the additional measure to really hone their craft.[/quote]

Both left people in the dust repeatedly and were nearly impossible to catch from behind (in fact I don't recall either being caught from behind ... ever).[/quote]

Ahhh here we go. The "obviously never saw them play" argument just because someone has a different evaluation from yours.

Never did I say Rice was slow, but never would I say he was amongst the fastest in his respective position let alone against the DBs he faced. Maybe stronger, well-balanced, smarter, so on and so forth plus playing in that SF West Coast helps.

Using the catch from behind situation is a poor example as every defender is at a disadvantage in that scenario. Saying Rice/Smith dominated because of their raw explosion/speed is just a farce of an argument and more of an insult to them because they compensated with so much more.

p.s. I saw them plenty.[/quote]

No you didn't. If you had you'd understand how silly your statements are (especially about him being stronger ... lol). This isn't opinion ... he was just flat faster and quicker then anyone on the field and showed it throughout his long career.

Here let me help you out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMzyMglPvw8

There are about a bajillion other videos showing the same thing. What made him truly remarkable was his YAC. He moved as if he was the only person on the field and everyone else just looked like they were standing still.

Now match that video (or any you care to view) with the fact that he ran a 4.71 40 time before he was drafted.

[quote user="bLuereverie"]The point anyway is I don't know why everything has to be so black and white in here. One side, 40 means everything whereas one side it's completely useless. Both sides are wrong.

It's a source of info for scouts to infer that is very much relevant, but hardly the penultimate.[/quote]

It's situational.

A slow 40 time from a guy that normally cooks on the field (to Slip's point) is more than likely a bad day on the track and fairly meaningless.

However a fast 40 time on someone you don't expect to have that kind of speed is something that will open your eyes.

A good example of this Coby Fleener. If he runs a 4.7 40 at his Pro Day, most will think "ho hum". However if he runs a 4.55 40, then there will be a huge buzz about him because that shows people he has the capability of running that fast and will probably move him into the #1 spot for TEs (and make him a borderline first round pick).

The more important measurables that come from the 40 (in almost all cases) are the splits which show acceleration.

+ Reply to Thread