+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Myth of the 40 Time

Re: The Myth of the 40 Time

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="BlueSanta"]Thats not true at all. They used superimposed images vs Jacoby ford, Javid best, Spliier and the other fast* guys from that year to show us how Mays ran slower that those guys. They also compared Ford to Chris Johnson's record run of 4.24 and confirmed he was slightly slower. The video confirmed the official results for all of us to see on TV. The hand timers were WAY off, they even said it on air.*
    [/quote]

As I said, Mays ran a 4.31. The video was simulcast with Trindon Holliday and Jacoby Ford.

Jacoby Ford finished first in the video (he ran a 4.28). Mays finished second, then Holliday finished third. Holliday ran a 4.34.

The official time was absolutely 1000% wrong.

There is absolutely no way he ran faster than Holliday, but had a .1 slower time. As I said, scouts in the stands overall agreed he ran somewhere in the 4.30-4.33 range.

If we want to get further into it... they changed from the RCA dome to Lucas Oil Stadium in 2008.

Theres a reason the times at the new stadium have been lower, despite guys who are legitimate world class sprinters (trindon holliday, Chris Rainey, etc). The new turf is already notoriously slower than the old stadium, and player have mentioned it as well.

Chris Johnson would have timed quite a bit slower. Not going to speculate on the difference, but wouldnt be surprised if he ran in the 4.3 flat range.[/quote]Yeah I saw the Vid Slip is talking about. They screwed up the times

[quote user="Marvelousmik"]cruz ran a 4.49 and i think hes one of the fastest/quickest guys in the NFL.
    [/quote]

Cruz is explosive as hell. Evidenced by his ridiculous vert jump (41.5") which is one of the best recorded vert jumps by a WR in the past 5 seasons.

But Cruz on the field doesnt seem to have elite long speed. More quick/shifty type speed. IMO, he plays like he runs in the mid 4.4s. So does Nicks for that matter. Neither is a pure burner.

But you dont have to run 4.2s to be a big play guy in the NFL.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Marvelousmik"]cruz ran a 4.49 and i think hes one of the fastest/quickest guys in the NFL.
    [/quote]

Cruz is explosive as hell. Evidenced by his ridiculous vert jump (41.5") which is one of the best recorded vert jumps by a WR in the past 5 seasons.

But Cruz on the field doesnt seem to have elite long speed. More quick/shifty type speed. IMO, he plays like he runs in the mid 4.4s. So does Nicks for that matter. Neither is a pure burner.

But you dont have to run 4.2s to be a big play guy in the NFL.[/quote]

You'll have to explain to me how a vertical jump translates into explosiveness.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Marvelousmik"]cruz ran a 4.49 and i think hes one of the fastest/quickest guys in the NFL.
    [/quote]

You'll have to explain to me how a vertical jump translates into explosiveness.[/quote] his ball skills certainly made him one of the most explosive recievers in the nfl at 18.7 yards per catch

[quote user="juice33s"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Marvelousmik"]cruz ran a 4.49 and i think hes one of the fastest/quickest guys in the NFL.
    [/quote]

You'll have to explain to me how a vertical jump translates into explosiveness.[/quote] his ball skills certainly made him one of the most explosive recievers in the nfl at 18.7 yards per catch[/quote]

Absolutely but that had little to do with his vertical (he hasn't been involved in a lot (if any) jump ball catches in either 2010 or 2011.

40, 40 splits, broad jump, shuttle ... those are all evaluations into explosiveness for a receiver (in my mind). Vertical is nice to have, but having a huge vertical doesn't mean a lot for someone used as a slot receiver mostly.

It's a nice measurable to have for sure ... just when I think of an "explosive" receiver (especially when I think of Cruz's type of explosiveness) I think of acceleration, change of direction, vision and hand strength / softness at the point of the catch.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="juice33s"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Marvelousmik"]cruz ran a 4.49 and i think hes one of the fastest/quickest guys in the NFL.
    [/quote]

You'll have to explain to me how a vertical jump translates into explosiveness.[/quote] his ball skills certainly made him one of the most explosive recievers in the nfl at 18.7 yards per catch[/quote]

Absolutely but that had little to do with his vertical (he hasn't been involved in a lot (if any) jump ball catches in either 2010 or 2011.

40, 40 splits, broad jump, shuttle ... those are all evaluations into explosiveness for a receiver (in my mind). Vertical is nice to have, but having a huge vertical doesn't mean a lot for someone used as a slot receiver mostly.

It's a nice measurable to have for sure ... just when I think of an "explosive" receiver (especially when I think of Cruz's type of explosiveness) I think of acceleration, change of direction, vision and hand strength / softness at the point of the catch.[/quote]

Out jumping Asmaougha twice in the Philadelphia Eagles game is basically what brought Cruz to the mediaís attention.

I think the point some folks are missing is that if someone isnít among the fastest WRs then they arenít quick. That is just not the case. Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks are both quick and fast. They are just not the fastest in the league. Jerry Rice was fast but he wasnít near the topr of the league in speed. H is speed was not what set him apart.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="buffyblue"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="buffyblue"]
    Jerry Rice was quick but he was never a burner. The things that seperated him were his hands, ability to break tackles and his preparedness. He was always in great shape and he was so strong.

Jerry Rice was the greatest reciever ever but not JUST because of his speed.[/quote]

Fixed.[/quote]

Dude save the know it all attitude for someone else.

Jerry Rice had decent speed but he wasnít one of the faster WRs in the league. Part of the reason he worked so hard at everything else was because he couldnít just burn everyone to the ball.[/quote]

Incorrect.[/quote]

No I am correct. You are the one that is incorrect. You are obsolete.

Its just a metric to distinguish similar players....

We all know that speed kills so it is high on the list.

Field/Tape speed and 40 speed are two different animals....

Its just a metric to distinguish similar players....

We all know that speed kills so it is high on the list.

Field/Tape speed and 40 speed are two different animals....

An extra 4/10 second makes no different in 40 time, just like an extra 4 mph makes no difference in a pitcher's fastball ... oh wait.

+ Reply to Thread