+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: The Myth of the 40 Time

[quote user="Spizi"]the 40 means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Look at Rich Eisen (a terrible athlete) beating Tebow with a mere 5 yard head start.

A GUY WHO RUNS A 6.03 BEATS A GUY WHO RUNS A 4.7 WITH ONLY A 5 YARD HEAD START! Now people are trying to say that running a 5.0 or a 4.5 even matters??[/quote]

Thats pretty significant.... In only 40 yards, that guy can make up 5 yards on a guy slower than him. Chasing down a HB or receiver, or trying to get to the corner against a DB... Thats substantial.

[quote user="BlueSanta"]Remember Taylor Mays was timed at 4.24.After electronic review it was revised to a 4.43. That was with only the start being hand held.

[/quote]

Official times are no more accurate than unofficial times.

Thats why scouts/GMs in the stands all hand time, then compare times amongst themselves.

Official times just means it has a laser at the end of the track, its still hand started.

According to scouts in the crowd, Mays ran somewhere around 4.31 on his first run. This 4.43 time is complete and utter BS.

[quote user="slipknottin"]Ray Ray ran a 4.58. 40 yard dash is just another evaluation tool. Guys who look really fast on the field almost always run fast in the 40. Look at the most explosive players in the NFL at any position, they always run well.[/quote]I think this is one of those stats where great players generally have really good 40 times within their position but great 40 times doesn't mean you are a player by any means. It's just one of the tools used to evaluate.
    No one remembers who came in second.

[quote user="jomo"]great 40 times doesn't mean you are a player by any means. It's just one of the tools used to evaluate.[/quote]

I agree completely.

My only point was that guys who play fast, and look fast on the field, well, those guys run fast 40s too.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="jomo"]great 40 times doesn't mean you are a player by any means. It's just one of the tools used to evaluate.[/quote] I agree completely. My only point was that guys who play fast, and look fast on the field, well, those guys run fast 40s too.[/quote]Yes!
    No one remembers who came in second.

the 40 time is one of many measuring tools to evaluate a player. Positions like O-line, QB, and even DE/DT, I don't put too much stock into their 40's

Now like another poster mentioned, the 10 yard split is important in those positions. It shows the explosion off the line. And on top of that, your Wrs, Rbs and Dbs, don't line up in a 3 point stance before the snap of the ball.

I hear a lot of analysts use the term "quicker than fast" Agility, change of direction, balance are just as important, as straight line 40 speed for skill positions.

By the way speaking of Rich Eisen's 40---did he run it on Tuesday? I did not finish watching what I DVR'd on Tuesday.

“Winning is a habit. Unfortunately so is losing.”
    -Vince Lombardi

[quote user="tonyt830"]<

By the way speaking of Rich Eisen's 40---did he run it on Tuesday?* I did not finish watching what I DVR'd on Tuesday.

[/quote]

He ran. Hauled *** too.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...e-40-yard-dash

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="tonyt830"]<

By the way speaking of Rich Eisen's 40---did he run it on Tuesday? I did not finish watching what I DVR'd on Tuesday.

[/quote] He ran. Hauled *** too. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...e-40-yard-dash[/quote]thanks slip, I just looked it up on youtube. Did he say he ran a 6.03? LOL!!! He is bound to break 6 if he put on a tee shirt and sweats.

I was laughing Sunday when they showed him getting a head start about 5 or 6 yards on the likes of Newton, Luck, Tebow and RG III, if I'm not mistaken! LOL!!!!

“Winning is a habit. Unfortunately so is losing.”
    -Vince Lombardi

[quote user="tonyt830"]thanks slip, I just looked it up on youtube.* Did he say he ran a 6.03?* LOL!!!** He is bound to break 6 if he put on a tee shirt and sweats.[/quote]

Yea. 6.03! Pretty incredible for a 42 year old Jewish guy wearing a suit who never played sports.

Veteran

The whole purpose of the 40, or any of the combine drills is to confirm the things the scouts saw on tape.

The fun part is when tape and drill disagree. For instance, when Wright ran poorly. He flies on the field but had a crap 40 time. It could just be that he had a bad day, or didn't start well. Likewise, Kuechly ran about a quarter second faster than anyone was expecting him to based on his game tape.

That's when the scouts have to go back to the tape and figure out WHY there's a disparity between the tape and the workout. Are they thinking too much and that's slowing them down? Is the scheme hiding their weaknesses? Or is it not using them effectively?

The good franchises don't draft based on the combine. They use the combine to confirm their assessments of the players' tape.