+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: The Myth of the 40 Time

I have no intention of taking this thread off its rails but I off this brief digression:

"The myth of the Romo" lol

No one remembers who came in second.

Veteran

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Spizi"]the 40 means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Look at Rich Eisen (a terrible athlete) beating Tebow with a mere 5 yard head start.

A GUY WHO RUNS A 6.03 BEATS A GUY WHO RUNS A 4.7 WITH ONLY A 5 YARD HEAD START! Now people are trying to say that running a 5.0 or a 4.5 even matters??[/quote]

Thats pretty significant.... In only 40 yards, that guy can make up 5 yards on a guy slower than him. Chasing down a HB or receiver, or trying to get to the corner against a DB... Thats substantial.[/quote]

How is that significant?? People obsess over a guy running a 4.7 vs a 4.4 yet Eisen just proved that even though he is a full 1.3 seconds slower than tebow he beat him with only a 5 yard head start. 2,3, or even 4 tenths of a second in a 40 doesn't mean ****. no one runs a 40 in a game, no one starts in a 40 stance in a game, and no one starts on their own in a game, there's a snap of the football.

[quote user="Spizi"]How is that significant?? People obsess over a guy running a 4.7 vs a 4.4 yet Eisen just proved that even though he is a full 1.3 seconds slower than tebow he beat him with only a 5 yard head start. 2,3, or even 4 tenths of a second in a 40 doesn't mean ****. no one runs a 40 in a game, no one starts in a 40 stance in a game, and no one starts on their own in a game, there's a snap of the football.[/quote]

Im not going to argue.

You're completely correct, the difference bewteen 4 tenths is meaningless. Eli Manning clearly has the same speed on the field that Chris Johnson does.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="BlueSanta"]Remember Taylor Mays was timed at 4.24.After electronic review it was revised to a 4.43. That was with only the start being hand held.

[/quote]

Official times are no more accurate than unofficial times.

Thats why scouts/GMs in the stands all hand time, then compare times amongst themselves.

Official times just means it has a laser at the end of the track, its still hand started.

According to scouts in the crowd, Mays ran somewhere around 4.31 on his first run. This 4.43 time is complete and utter BS.[/quote]

Thats not true at all. They used superimposed images vs Jacoby ford, Javid best, Spliier and the other fast guys from that year to show us how Mays ran slower that those guys. They also compared Ford to Chris Johnson's record run of 4.24 and confirmed he was slightly slower. The video confirmed the official results for all of us to see on TV. The hand timers were WAY off, they even said it on air.

[quote user="BlueSanta"]Thats not true at all. They used superimposed images vs Jacoby ford, Javid best, Spliier and the other fast* guys from that year to show us how Mays ran slower that those guys. They also compared Ford to Chris Johnson's record run of 4.24 and confirmed he was slightly slower. The video confirmed the official results for all of us to see on TV. The hand timers were WAY off, they even said it on air.*
    [/quote]

As I said, Mays ran a 4.31. The video was simulcast with Trindon Holliday and Jacoby Ford.

Jacoby Ford finished first in the video (he ran a 4.28). Mays finished second, then Holliday finished third. Holliday ran a 4.34.

The official time was absolutely 1000% wrong.

There is absolutely no way he ran faster than Holliday, but had a .1 slower time. As I said, scouts in the stands overall agreed he ran somewhere in the 4.30-4.33 range.

If we want to get further into it... they changed from the RCA dome to Lucas Oil Stadium in 2008.

Theres a reason the times at the new stadium have been lower, despite guys who are legitimate world class sprinters (trindon holliday, Chris Rainey, etc). The new turf is already notoriously slower than the old stadium, and player have mentioned it as well.

Chris Johnson would have timed quite a bit slower. Not going to speculate on the difference, but wouldnt be surprised if he ran in the 4.3 flat range.

There's a lot of technique involved in all these drilss, and I think execs are looking to see who prepares themselves best for the task at hand.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="BlueSanta"]Thats not true at all. They used superimposed images vs Jacoby ford, Javid best, Spliier and the other fast* guys from that year to show us how Mays ran slower that those guys. They also compared Ford to Chris Johnson's record run of 4.24 and confirmed he was slightly slower. The video confirmed the official results for all of us to see on TV. The hand timers were WAY off, they even said it on air.*
    [/quote]

As I said, Mays ran a 4.31. The video was simulcast with Trindon Holliday and Jacoby Ford.

Jacoby Ford finished first in the video (he ran a 4.28). Mays finished second, then Holliday finished third. Holliday ran a 4.34.

The official time was absolutely 1000% wrong.

There is absolutely no way he ran faster than Holliday, but had a .1 slower time. As I said, scouts in the stands overall agreed he ran somewhere in the 4.30-4.33 range.

If we want to get further into it... they changed from the RCA dome to Lucas Oil Stadium in 2008.

Theres a reason the times at the new stadium have been lower, despite guys who are legitimate world class sprinters (trindon holliday, Chris Rainey, etc). The new turf is already notoriously slower than the old stadium, and player have mentioned it as well.

Chris Johnson would have timed quite a bit slower. Not going to speculate on the difference, but wouldnt be surprised if he ran in the 4.3 flat range.[/quote]yeah there have been some fast straight line runners the passed couple of years. There have been a few players the passed 2 to 3 years that I thought could have been timed as fast as Johnson. I always wondered if its been an electronic timer error with Johnson or any of the other guys like Spiller, Holiday, Ford, Rainey etc. I never thought the newer turf at Lucas Oil could impact a 40 time over the old RCA dome turf, but I guess that could be a factor as well.

I always thought Deon Sanders was fast, didn't he run a 4.29 40 at his combine? Joey Galloway is another name that comes to mind when I think of fast 40 times at the combine.
    Perry Fewell is out there playing Tecmo Bowl defense with just 4 plays you can pick from on the remote control.
    --sharick88

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="buffyblue"]
    Jerry Rice was quick but he was never a burner. The things that seperated him were his hands, ability to break tackles and his preparedness. He was always in great shape and he was so strong.

Jerry Rice was the greatest reciever ever but not JUST because of his speed.[/quote]

Fixed.[/quote]

Dude save the know it all attitude for someone else.

Jerry Rice had decent speed but he wasn’t one of the faster WRs in the league. Part of the reason he worked so hard at everything else was because he couldn’t just burn everyone to the ball.

[quote user="buffyblue"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="buffyblue"]
    Jerry Rice was quick but he was never a burner. The things that seperated him were his hands, ability to break tackles and his preparedness. He was always in great shape and he was so strong.

Jerry Rice was the greatest reciever ever but not JUST because of his speed.[/quote]

Fixed.[/quote]

Dude save the know it all attitude for someone else.

Jerry Rice had decent speed but he wasn’t one of the faster WRs in the league. Part of the reason he worked so hard at everything else was because he couldn’t just burn everyone to the ball.[/quote]

Incorrect.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

cruz ran a 4.49 and i think hes one of the fastest/quickest guys in the NFL.
    Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~