+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WHO FITS GIANTS' NEED AT TIGHT END

WHO FITS GIANTS' NEED AT TIGHT END

"One of the few holes on the Giants roster is at tight end – an area of need
    which GM Jerry Reese has confirmed. They’re likely to consider addressing this
    position in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft, so let’s examine who might fit
    their needs.

The Giants are one of the few teams in the league still clinging to the
    traditional tight end. They expect their tight ends to be an extension of the
    offensive line.

This past season the Giants used their tight ends in pass protection on 24
    percent of their passing plays – the 6th highest average in the league. But
    unlike the teams ahead of them on this list, they don’t bring in pure blockers
    in these situations. Instead, all of their tight ends are expected to contribute
    as both blockers and receivers. In 2011, all three tight ends were used to block
    on 18 percent of pass plays or more, led by Jake Ballard’s 25.6 percent (6th
    highest in NFL).

And this isn’t a new trend. In 2010, the Giants also used their tight ends in
    pass protection 24 percent of the time, led by Kevin Boss’ 27.9 percent (5th
    highest).

So which tight ends in the 2012 draft class fit the Giants mold?

For starters, Coby
    Fleener
    , Orson
    Charles
    and Ladarius
    Green
    are not good fits. All three are deficient blockers and lack
    the physical qualities to improve in that area.

So if they’re going to address this need early, that leaves them with one
    option: Dwayne
    Allen

Allen isn’t a dominant blocker, but he gives a solid effort and has the frame
    to add some weight and improve. He’ll probably never be elite in this area, but
    he compares favorably to Kevin Boss both in his blocking ability and his
    potential to contribute as a receiver in the passing game.

Allen is definitely an option for the Giants with the 32nd pick."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran

Re: WHO FITS GIANTS' NEED AT TIGHT END

I don't see why Fleener "lacks the physical qualities to improve" in blocking. What physical qualities are we talking about?

Starter

Josh Chichester 6-8 sleeper who has good hands but needs some blocking help.Should be around a 4-6 rd guy.

At this point i would love to see Jerry Reese trade out of the first round so we could have 2 second round picks and two 3rd round picks.

I trust JR though. Whatever he does, i'm on board.

[quote user="jhamburg"]I don't see why Fleener "lacks the physical qualities to improve" in blocking. What physical qualities are we talking about?[/quote]

yeah this is just pure bs. fleener is bigger 6'6, weights virtually the same, has wider arm span, and i believe did as many bench reps if not more than allen.

plus, teams will prob try the two deep safety look against nicks and cruz ala NE in the SB a lot more...while allen is intriguing and i'd love to have him, he doesn't challenge the vertical seem as much as fleener does, in that regard its not even close. fleener would be perfect in our system, and despite this horribly misguided article, fleener is as good a blocker as allen imo. stanford ran the ball, and also ran a heavy set two te formation often which required fleener to be a blocker and he did fine.

pope would have to help fleener improve, but i'd much rather fleener than allen. i actually think allen has a 2nd round grade and fleener actually a 1rst round grade...we'll see maybe we can trade back get an extra pick and still get allen...but to say fleener is excluded bc of a lack of blocking is completely erroneous

[quote user="jhamburg"]I don't see why Fleener "lacks the physical qualities to improve" in blocking. What physical qualities are we talking about?[/quote]

I would guess that the "lack of physical qualities" they are refering to is the line of thought that he doesnt have a wide base/strong lower body. He is more lanky. if you watched him play you would see he really had trouble sustaining blocks and driving through them.

I do think he will take some more coaching to be a good physical run blocker than people here are willing to admit. But, he also showed at the combine he is stronger in the upper body than most people expected. He also showed a willingnes to block just based on the offense he played in.

I dont know if I agree with the article. I personally think that IF we took a TE in round 1, it is more likely that we take Fleener than Allen. But, I also think they are both very good prospects in their own way. Allen is more versatile and Fleener is more epxerienced in pro style offenses. Take your pick, they are both quality players.

I'd rather they sign Martellus Bennett and see if they can get anything out of him. He's still young.

Strengths:
    Prototypical size. Experience lining up as a traditional tight end and at receiver. Above-average straight-line speed. Gives a solid effort as a blocker. Does a nice job finding the soft spot in zone coverage and giving a large target for the quarterback. Dangerous runner after the catch; size and athleticism makes him tough to bring down. Very reliable hands; catches the ball away from his body and secures it quickly.Does a nice job grabbing the ball at its high point in jump-ball situations.Shows good body control along the sidelines.
    Weaknesses:
    Route running could use some work; slow and deliberate in his breaks. Has adequate speed, but quickness and agility are lacking. Lacks the suddenness in his movements to lose defenders. Holds his ground blocking outside linebackers, but struggles to hold off more physical defensive ends. Struggles to get low enough to have the leverage necessary to excel as a blocker.
    Comments:
    Fleener’s rare size/speed combination makes him an interesting prospect, however, he may not be the same dangerous weapon in the passing game at the next level. Fleener preyed on some weak secondaries in college, and he will struggle when matched up with more physically gifted safeties and linebackers in the NFL. His lack of quick-twitch athleticism will be exposed at the next level, limiting the routes on which he can consistently break free. He can still be an effective receiver, but his game at the next level will look different than it did in college. Depending on the system in which he lands, he may not be a three-down player due to his marginal blocking ability.
    Videos:

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Probably not going to be popular for mentioning this but Fleener had a pretty good dude throwing him the ball during his collegiate career while Allen had...Kyle Parker and Tahj Boyd or whatever the hell his first name is. Also don't forget that Clemson had the deep threat of Freshman Sammy Watkins in the passing game as well.

I'm not trying to discredit Fleener but it's crystal clear who had the better system to shine in place.

very rarely has reese used our first for a position of need.

i'd be stunned if we use a first for a TE that will be another project at blocking.

we have that already in pascoe and ballard.