+ Reply to Thread

GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN OPTS FOR "CONTINUITY" IN PROMOTING SEAN RYAN, KEVIN M. GILBRIDE

GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN OPTS FOR "CONTINUITY" IN PROMOTING SEAN RYAN, KEVIN M. GILBRIDE

"Tom Coughlin took nearly three weeks to name a replacement for Mike Sullivan
    as quarterbacks coach.

When all was said and done (as Antrel Rolle now likes to say), he tabbed the
    guy who was right down the hall to replace him and found another guy in the
    building to plug in for that guy.

The Giants made it official this
    afternoon: Sean
    Ryan moves from wide receivers coach to quarterbacks coach
    and Kevin M.
    Gilbride (I'll explain the designation to differentiate him from his father,
    offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, in a bit) goes from offensive quality
    control coach to wide receivers coach.

“Continuity is important,” Coughlin said in a press release from the team
    announcing the moves. “It’s not that I don’t think there are some talented
    people out there. But I do think that these two are very talented and the best
    approach we could possibly take would be to continue to support our players at
    those positions with people who are products of the system."

Ryan, 39, is on the fast track to even bigger things. As an offensive quality
    control coach from 2007-09, he worked with the wide receivers and many of them
    spoke highly of him at the time. He began working with them full-time when
    Sullivan moved to quarterbacks coach in 2010 and certainly did a fine job with
    Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham and Victor Cruz this past season.

Ryan will now get to work with Eli Manning, who needs far less instruction
    than he once did and could probably help Ryan's development as much as the coach
    can help his.

“I’m excited about Sean Ryan being the quarterback coach,” Manning said.
    “He’s a young guy who is energetic. He’s driven to continue to learn. I know
    he’s going to get prepared for drills. ... Coach Sullivan and I did a great job
    communicating. That’s something that’s very important with a quarterback coach
    and I know we’ll have great communication and a great work ethic."

Ryan called working with Manning "a tremendous opportunity" and lauded his
    work ethic.

"It’s special to have a player like that and be able to work with a player
    like that you know is going to give above and beyond what is expected," Ryan
    said. "I think somebody who is that eager and wants to be that good and wants to
    get better like that, as a coach there is nothing more you can ask for than to
    work with a player who is that committed to getting himself better."

Manning said of Ryan, "We shouldn’t miss a beat." Ryan believes that will be
    the case with the entire staff because of that continuity Coughlin
    referenced.

“The two things that I think will make this a good working relationship are,
    obviously, I’ve been in that chair, moving from his job to the wide receivers,”
    Ryan said of the younger Gilbride, who was a wide receivers coach for three
    years at Temple before joining the Giants in 2010. “I know what challenges he’ll
    face and I can at least give him advice as to what I did and he’ll have to
    decide how he wants to go about his job. He’ll do things his way.

"But also he was in the wide receiver meeting room for the last two years. He
    was working with the wide receivers. They know him, they’re comfortable with
    him."

Well, they used to know him by a different name: Kevin Gilbride Jr. But he's
    technically not a Junior because he has a different middle name. So from now on,
    he'll be known as Kevin M. Gilbride.

Different name (sort of), same person.

"Sean trained me at the quality control position. It’s the same transition,"
    Gilbride the younger said. "When the new quality control coach comes in I’ll
    train him, Sean will train me on the receivers position and we’ll go from
    there.”

Coughlin sees continued upside for both Gilbride and Ryan.

"Young Kevin Gilbride came in here as a quality control offensive assistant
    and his energy level, his enthusiasm, his overall optimism, the positive way
    that he attacks every job, and the importance of how well he performed his job –
    which makes everybody else’s job easier on offense – because the information
    that he puts forth is accurate," Coughlin said. "I really came to the conclusion
    that this was best for us."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran

Re: GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN OPTS FOR "CONTINUITY" IN PROMOTING SEAN RYAN, KEVIN M. GILBRIDE

When it ain't broke....

Re: GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN OPTS FOR "CONTINUITY" IN PROMOTING SEAN RYAN, KEVIN M. GILBRIDE

[quote user="NY_Eli"]When it ain't broke....[/quote]

[Y]
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

sorry guys,but didnt that backfire when we promted mr,bill sheridan to DC.
    '"Respect All,Fear none''

[quote user="NY_Eli"]When it ain't broke....[/quote]It sure worked with Sheridan.

[quote user="Greatone80"]sorry guys,but didnt that backfire when we promted mr,bill sheridan to DC.[/quote]Whoops didn't see this post.

But yes, it did.