+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pierre-Paul coming into his own

Pierre-Paul coming into his own

Eli Manning received the majority share of praise
    when the Giants nearly ended the Packers' unbeaten streak, but DE Jason
    Pierre-Paul deserves just as much credit for Big Blue's success.

Playbook: ‘JPP’ shows his truepotential

When stats from the Green Bay–New York game scrolled across the bottom line of every major sports network this Monday, you saw “Aaron Rodgers: 369 yards, 4 TDs” and then “Eli Manning: 347, 3 TDs”.

What you didn’t see: Jason Pierre-Paul, three tackles, two quarterback hits and two pass deflections.

Those stats might not be eye-popping, but after watching the coaching tape, it becomes evident that “JPP” and fellow edge rusher Justin Tuck were as much responsible for the Giants hanging in with the undefeated Packers as anyone else.

If the Packers have a weakness on offense, it’s their tackle situation with Marshall Newhouse at left tackle in place of an injured Chad Clifton.
    And Pierre-Paul, a second-year player out of South Florida, is only
    beginning to tap his playing potential after only one season of major
    college football.

He showcased his capabilities against Newhouse. With his long,
    6-foot-6 frame, Pierre-Paul used his hands and leverage versus the
    Packers’ zone-run scheme, controlling Newhouse at the point of attack
    and pushing him into the backfield. The most direct anecdote for a zone
    scheme is a defensive end that can get penetration, forcing the running
    back to either cut inside or ride the “hump” around an obstructive
    corner the defensive end has created.

While Rodgers had tons of passing yards, you can’t put much of the
    blame on Pierre-Paul and Tuck, who won a majority of their battles on
    the edge and brought consistent pressure on the Packers’ signal caller.
    Pierre-Paul, once again, exerted great leverage on Newhouse in his pass
    rush, using his enormous wingspan and superb quickness on inside and
    outside moves.

On the Packers’ final drive, the Giants moved Tuck down to defensive tackle to match him up with another sub, right guard Evan Dietrich-Smith. Lining Pierre-Paul and Osi Umenyiora or Mathias Kiwanuka on the edge dictated that Tuck would get a one-on-one with a less-athletic protector in Dietrich-Smith.

Watching the tape, we counted two wins for Tuck on Green Bay’s final,
    four-play drive against the Packers’ right guard. He showed outstanding
    quickness on those rushes; Rodgers just got the ball out quicker.

Nonetheless, theses are the kinds of things you see on tape that give
    you a greater appreciation for how a pass rushing duo can impact a
    game.

Re: Pierre-Paul coming into his own

It's scary that he's this good in his sophomore year....this kid could be the next Strahan when he's a veteran

All-Pro

Hopefully the coaching staff realizes their mistake and they leave him be even when Osi comes back if he even does this year. Osi should not start over JPP. He should give him a breather and that's about it.

Same thing goes for Center. Keep Boothe at Center. They do better with him playing. Also, I thought Petrus did good. They should stick to that line up for now. This past game was their best of the year running it seemed.

No sack-dances, no posturing. Seems like a good kid. Hopefully he'll keep a good head on his shoulders. The dude has got a wingspan like a pteradactyl...

Time to eat my crow..

I HATED this draft pick. Not because of the player JPP is, but I hated his lack of experience for one and just thought going LB or OL was the better choice that year..

Boy was I wrong. This guy is an absolute freak. I have never seen such an inexperienced player learn so fast and use his natural gifts as effectively.

You can see potential HoF'er written all over this kid. The thing I love the most is how diverse he seems to be. Strength, speed, agility, good at rushing the passer, making tackles and swatting balls down.

What cant he do outside of coverage responsibilities?

If crow tastes this good, I might have to dine on it more regularly.

Veteran

[quote user="AGiantDynasty"]Time to eat my crow..

I HATED this draft pick.* Not because of the player JPP is, but I hated his lack of experience for one and just thought going LB or OL was the better choice that year..

Boy was I wrong.* This guy is an absolute freak.* I have never seen such an inexperienced player learn so fast and use his natural gifts as effectively.

You can see potential HoF'er written all over this kid.* The thing I love the most is how diverse he seems to be.* Strength, speed, agility, good at rushing the passer, making tackles and swatting balls down.

What cant he do outside of coverage responsibilities?*

If crow tastes this good, I might have to dine on it more regularly.*
    [/quote]

I hated the pick too. I don't think there was any pick we could have made at that point that I would have hated more than that one.

But what none of us knew at the time was the extreme level of effort that JPP was willing to put in on the field and at learning his craft.

I remember even seeing some borderline racist threads about how Haitian players tend to be lazy and JPP would end up like William Joseph. Could that possibly have been more wrong?

I guess they should have moved Tuck inside earleir in the game. JPP is already there.

[quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="AGiantDynasty"]Time to eat my crow..

I HATED this draft pick. Not because of the player JPP is, but I hated his lack of experience for one and just thought going LB or OL was the better choice that year..

Boy was I wrong. This guy is an absolute freak. I have never seen such an inexperienced player learn so fast and use his natural gifts as effectively.

You can see potential HoF'er written all over this kid. The thing I love the most is how diverse he seems to be. Strength, speed, agility, good at rushing the passer, making tackles and swatting balls down.

What cant he do outside of coverage responsibilities?

If crow tastes this good, I might have to dine on it more regularly.
    [/quote] I hated the pick too. I don't think there was any pick we could have made at that point that I would have hated more than that one. But what none of us knew at the time was the extreme level of effort that JPP was willing to put in on the field and at learning his craft. I remember even seeing some borderline racist threads about how Haitian players tend to be lazy and JPP would end up like William Joseph. Could that possibly have been more wrong?[/quote]

I liked the pick.

Living in the Tampa area (moved here from NY few years ago) I got to see JPP play at USF.

I remember watching him play and was like this guy is a freak on the field. relentless, huge wingspan, strong and quick off the ball. And then the announcers were saying he has only played football for a year. The first thing that came to my mind was this guy will be a force once he figures the game of football out.

I think many fans were mad because he was a boom or bust type player. They didn't know what to expect from him.

Giants fan since the early 80s

I love how the guy who wrote this article doesn't even realized that Osi didn't play in this weeks game.

But yes, JPP is a beast. I look forward to watching him grow into his prime.

Veteran

We're lucky Eagles didn't draft him before us. Now they're stuck with Brandon "bust" Graham.