+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    All-Pro

Giants have left Chase Blackburn off radar

While teammates Terrell Thomas and Dominik Hixon have contract negotiations going on with Big Blue, Chase has not heard from the Giants at all.

The requests continue to flow in, one after another as if there’s not enough of Chase Blackburn to go around.“It’s been ridiculous, actually,’’ Richard Katz, Blackburn’s agent, told The Post Thursday. “He’s a pretty popular guy. His tale is an incredible tale.’’The question is whether that tale ended with Blackburn starting at middle linebacker for the Giants in Super Bowl XLVI or continues into the 2012 season. The NFL free-agency signing period begins March 13 and the Giants haven’t even contacted Katz, haven’t expressed any interest in re-signing Blackburn, who was one of a handful of players who shined brightest of all during the improbable Super Bowl run.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...GjoDzGAOyLznaM

I think this is unfair to Chase, considering what he did for us, but it is a business, and we can definitely upgade the position.

Herzlich, Jones and possible Goff if healthy and resigned are going to battle it out. Maybe they get s stud MLB in the draft like Dont'a Hightower.

Re: Giants have left Chase Blackburn off radar

i think Chase did well but the Giants are going to go with the young guys. Those Rookies didnt have proper time to learn the defense and its why they struggled some in the early season. Cant wait to see what Jacquain Williams looks like after a proper off season

We need a future LB so someone like Hightower in the draft and put Herzlich on the outside move Kiwi back to DE because he is so much more productive there trade Osi would make a lot of sense and you'll save a lot more money.

This is profane! I don't care how promising the young talent looks......this guy came back after being cut, and helped solidify the defense for a 2nd title. Just like people have made claims that we are spoiled with Eli at QB and how we have treated him over the years........I feel the same could appy here. We are not content with a guy that works his tail off, gives us 120%, comes at our beckon call after we cut him at the beginning of the season to make room for the YOUNG GUYS. Chase deserves his shot, and he deserves a contract, not a huge contract, but a decent one that can pay the bills. Have you heard this guys story after we cut him? He was doing the mister-mom thing, trying to get a math teacher's job......does this sound like somebody thats going to crab about getting big time $$$? DO THE RIGHT THING REESE!!

[quote user="GGTM_1977"] DO THE RIGHT THING REESE!![/quote]

By who? The Giants or Chase Blackburn. Yes, he did a great job coming in mid season and help the team win the Superbowl, but the Giants already did the right thing. It's not like he didn't get paid while playing. Reese will do what he does best. Evaluate what he has and what he needs and will bring in players accordingly.

Would I like to see Blackburn back, yeah. I've always thought he was a good backup LB and a great special teamer, but I also don't think he's our future at MLB. As it stands, he's a fill in the hole for depth guy and I'm certain that if he doesn't get a shot to come back for training camp, another team will pick him up.

Veteran

[quote user="GGTM_1977"]This is profane! I don't care how promising the young talent looks......this guy came back after being cut, and helped solidify the defense for a 2nd title. Just like people have made claims that we are spoiled with Eli at QB and how we have treated him over the years........I feel the same could appy here. We are not content with a guy that works his tail off, gives us 120%, comes at our beckon call after we cut him at the beginning of the season to make room for the YOUNG GUYS. Chase deserves his shot, and he deserves a contract, not a huge contract, but a decent one that can pay the bills. Have you heard this guys story after we cut him? He was doing the mister-mom thing, trying to get a math teacher's job......does this sound like somebody thats going to crab about getting big time $$$? DO THE RIGHT THING REESE!![/quote]

I'd rather the Giants win than do the right thing. In reality (where I live), that is how life goes. Hard work only gets you so far, you actually have to be good at what you do.

[quote user="BJacobs aka The Problem"][quote user="GGTM_1977"] DO THE RIGHT THING REESE!![/quote]

By who? The Giants or Chase Blackburn. Yes, he did a great job coming in mid season and help the team win the Superbowl, but the Giants already did the right thing. It's not like he didn't get paid while playing. Reese will do what he does best. Evaluate what he has and what he needs and will bring in players accordingly.

Would I like to see Blackburn back, yeah. I've always thought he was a good backup LB and a great special teamer, but I also don't think he's our future at MLB. As it stands, he's a fill in the hole for depth guy and I'm certain that if he doesn't get a shot to come back for training camp, another team will pick him up.[/quote]

Right, so we can make room for the next "impact" linebacker from our young guys.......ridiculous. I didn't say make Chase the permanent guy, but maybe for a few years until one of the young guys has more experience under their belt....

[quote user="GGTM_1977"][quote user="BJacobs aka The Problem"][quote user="GGTM_1977"] DO THE RIGHT THING REESE!![/quote]

Would I like to see Blackburn back, yeah. I've always thought he was a good backup LB and a great special teamer, but I also don't think he's our future at MLB. As it stands, he's a fill in the hole for depth guy and I'm certain that if he doesn't get a shot to come back for training camp, another team will pick him up.[/quote]

Right, so we can make room for the next "impact" linebacker from our young guys.......ridiculous. I didn't say make Chase the permanent guy, but maybe for a few years until one of the young guys has more experience under their belt....[/quote]

Yeah and I'm saying if Reese feels as if he's good enough, he'll get a shot in camp to prove it. The Giants are already in caproom hell with barely any room to sign/retain the important players. Reese needs to be smart and offering a multiyear contract for a backup LB/special teamer isn't smart unless he feels that the young group of LB's he has right now can't do the job.

As it stands, Chase may have to wait until camp starts to get a call once the coaching staff can evaluate if these guys aren't good enough. Also, whats not to say they don't draft a good LB?

If the Giants don't deem Chase good enough for the MLB position, I would love to see them offer him some sort of job as a position coach maybe some time down the line. He's a very intelligent man who made an impact with getting the defense in correct position.

WIth that said, I learned not to worry too much about the MLB position anymore since this team utilizes the 3 safety set more so. They just need someone slightly athletic enough to be our run stopper.
    3/25/14 - Updated Mock with 5th round comp pick

1. Anthony Barr, Defensive End, UCLA
    2. Marcus Martin, Center Guard, USC
    3. Anthony Johnson, Defensive Nostril Tackle, LSU
    4. Marcel Jensen, Offensive End, Fresno State
    5. Wesley Johnson, Offensive Any Guard, Vanderbilt
    5. Aaron Colvin, Defensive Halfback, Oklahoma
    6. Storm Johnson, Guy Who Runs With Football, UCF

He is a good back up player and special teamer. If you could get him for the right price (vet minimum) fine. But if other teams are calling like his agent says, he is not a player that the Giants should get into a free agent bidding war with other teams for. He did not turn our season around as some would say. The defense gave up 95 points in his first 3 games here. Then we got everyone healthy for the last two games and the playoff run.