+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

NEW YORK GIANTS FREE AGENCY: TARGET - OG BEN GRUBBS

NEW YORK GIANTS FREE AGENCY: TARGET - OG BEN GRUBBS

""Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in." That
    magical quote, in case you don't know, was from The Godfather III. Michael
    Corleone had the misconceived notion that he was out of the Mafia for good.
    Little did he know that fate had other plans in store for him. The same applies
    for you guys. Just when we finished up one series of Free Agency, we start
    another - only this one is geared towards who is out there that would be a good
    fit for the New York Giants.
    Mike Farley began this series yesterday. Today, we continue. Pay attention now. There
    will be a test afterwards.

We have already established that the Giants do not have a lot of money to
    work with in this offseason. There are some definite cutbacks that have to be
    made. In doing so, there will be some rather large holes to fill that will
    effect this team for years to come. Big Blue has been synonymous with the
    running game for, what seems like, an eternity. That simply was not the case
    this past season. As I touched on in the first episode of BBV-TV, the
    reason for the lack of a running game in the 2011 regular season was partially
    due to the backs and the offensive line.

Hitting the free agency this offseason is twelve-year veteran, Kareem
    McKenzie. It is becoming more of a lucid reality that McKenzie will most likely
    be cut. That leaves some very large shoes to fill. The most important thing for
    this Giants regime is to meet the primary needs of the team, in order to be
    successful and defend their shiny, new Lombardi Trophy. Right now, there is no
    need greater than that of the offensive line. Without a solid replacement for
    McKenzie, Eli Manning's
    Iron Man Streak is as good as gone.

The New York Giants' offensive line went through a number of shifts
    throughout the 2011 season. With Rich Seubert
    and Shaun O'Hara
    given their walking papers at the start of training camp, it was a necessary
    evil. Despite injuries and player shuffles, the line did seemingly well.
    However, there were some major differences. In 2010, the o-line gave up sixteen
    sacks and fifty-two quarterback hits. Last season, the line gave up twenty-eight
    sacks and seventy-two hits on Manning. A great Diehl of that came from the left
    side. "Let's get rid of him, too." That is not the answer.

If this theoretical scenario plays out and Kareem McKenzie gets the boot, who
    is going to fill his slot? Stacy Andrews
    is listed as the backup right tackle. Andrews was signed late last season in a
    desperate attempt to patch up the offensive line. He wound up proving, as in
    seasons past, that he is a magnet for injury. This time, however, he was
    sidelined due to health issues, not a physical injury. Andrews is also hitting
    the free agency market. Re-sign him? That's not the way to go. Getting back to
    the question, who fills in for McKenzie - in this scenario, we would play
    "musical linesman" once again. Here we go.

The one guy who was most versatile on the o-line last season was Kevin Boothe.
    His size, speed and ability parallel Kareem
    McKenzie's
    . Shuffle Boothe to fill in for McKenzie. This move makes good
    sense, as he has played this position before and seems to adapt well wherever
    you place him. What to do with Double D? Shuffle Diehl back to where he plays
    best, left tackle. Diehl is very intelligent. He is a true team player and he
    doesn't become a free agent until 2014. He is not going anywhere. "Who fills in
    for Diehl?" Enter my targeted free agent.

For this one, we travel down to Baltimore to scout out one of the league's
    best offensive linesman. Last season, he earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl.
    With price tags that guys like Ray Lewis are
    commanding, the chance of Ben Grubbs not
    getting the money he wants are favorable. Yes, Grubbs will be looking for a
    nice, juicy contract. But it is highly unlikely that he will be able to snag the
    bloated deal that McKenzie was getting with Big Blue. McKenzie had a reported
    seven-year deal at thirty-seven and a half-million bucks. Grubbs' contract,
    which is over and done with, was a five year contract at eight-million
    smackeroonies.

In case you didn't realize, the New York Giants' stock just went through the
    roof. They beat the best of the best to get to the Super Bowl. They came out
    victorious for the second time in four years. Eli Manning proved to be one of
    the absolute, top-rate quarterbacks in the NFL. Plus, they have a real nifty
    stadium that still has that new smell. The allure to play for the reigning Super
    Bowl champs that have a good chance at repeating is quite hard to resist.
    Throwing some money at Grubbs would not only be an extremely smart move to make,
    it would be an investment that would pay dividends for years to come.

Ben Grubbs will be going into his sixth-year in the NFL. He is a six-foot,
    three-inch - three-hundred and ten-pound, natural left guard. The Giants need a
    new addition to the left side. Grubbs is the ideal candidate for the job. The
    scenario would be Kevin Boothe at right tackle, Chris Snee at
    right guard, David Baas at
    center, Ben Grubbs at left guard and David Diehl at
    left tackle. That's a very solid line. It would also bring the age factor down a
    bit.

To bring Grubbs in would require careful structuring of a multi-million
    dollar deal. But there are plenty of players sitting around on this team,
    earning a decent sized paycheck, that could be cut in order to make such a deal
    possible. There will undoubtedly be some free agents who walk this offseason.
    Some of them are making a decent dollar.

There are a few key positions that absolutely, positively need some
    experienced players acquired and thrown into the Big Blue mix. With the
    possibility of Kareem McKenzie flying the coop, the offensive line is, more than
    likely, the single, biggest need. After all, the Giants have proved to be a
    high, flying aerial attack team over the last few years. Someone has to protect
    Eli Manning. Ben Grubbs is like All-State Insurance. Manning would be in very
    good hands.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: NEW YORK GIANTS FREE AGENCY: TARGET - OG BEN GRUBBS

great job roaky - but these guys are crazy

Why would we sign somebody when we have Petrus?

And if we didn't feel comfortable with Petrus, why wouldn't we just keep Boothe at guard and try to sign a RT?

Or why wouldn't we just move Diehl to RT and Beatty to LT

i can't see this signing at all. No way we go for a guard
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

To further improving the youth of the line, cut deihl and use beatty at LT

I'd be ecstatic if we could somehow land Grubbs since he would automatically become our best starter but I think Reese is going to hope on Petrus getting better and relying on Boothe for quality depth.

The Tackle position is the one I worry about. Diehl and Kmac played like poop last season and are getting too much money as is. I think we cut Kmac and ask Diehl to take a paycut and a backup spot behind both Beatty and Petrus or we let him walk.

If the Giants acquire OL in FA or the draft, I think it'll be guys who can offer versatility in G and T.

[quote user="giantman8493"]To further improving the youth of the line, cut deihl and use beatty at LT[/quote]

why cut Diehl???

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

[quote user="TheEnigma"]I'd be ecstatic if we could somehow land Grubbs since he would automatically become our best starter but I think Reese is going to hope on Petrus getting better and relying on Boothe for quality depth.

The Tackle position is the one I worry about. Diehl and Kmac played like poop last season and are getting too much money as is. I think we cut Kmac and ask Diehl to take a paycut and a backup spot behind both Beatty and Petrus or we let him walk.

If the Giants acquire OL in FA or the draft, I think it'll be guys who can offer versatility in G and T.[/quote]

personally if we were to cut Snee and sign Grubbs i'd be for it. Snee had an awful year this year, don't know why nobody mentions it.
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

i think people really seem to overrate snee..i dont want to cut him like you said..but i get what your saying

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="TheEnigma"]I'd be ecstatic if we could somehow land Grubbs since he would automatically become our best starter but I think Reese is going to hope on Petrus getting better and relying on Boothe for quality depth.

If the Giants acquire OL in FA or the draft, I think it'll be guys who can offer versatility in G and T.[/quote]

personally if we were to cut Snee and sign Grubbs i'd be for it. Snee had an awful year this year, don't know why nobody mentions it.
    [/quote]

i think people really seem to overrate snee..i dont want to cut him like you said..but i get what your saying

I don't understand this at all.

I think Boothe has earned the starting job at guard. Also I don't want him moved to right tackle. He is best used in the interior of the line.

McKenzie is a free agent and his best years are behind him, he has been a rock for the right tackle position for the past 7 seasons.

I think it's time to see what James Brewer has to offer. He was inactive pretty much all season.

As for Diehl, either he takes a pay cut or we let him go. We have Beatty at the left tackle position.

Giants fan since the early 80s

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="TheEnigma"]I'd be ecstatic if we could somehow land Grubbs since he would automatically become our best starter but I think Reese is going to hope on Petrus getting better and relying on Boothe for quality depth.

[/quote]True but his season wasn't statistically as worse as Diehl and Kmac plus as I'm sure you know, Guards aren't as important or valuable. Considering this was his first bad season, I'm willing to chalk it up to a one time thing and hope he returns to form next season.

Diehl has been regressing for awhile and Kmac went from being the best RT in football to the worst.