+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: SAINTS' BOUNTY SCANDAL: WHAT'S THE PROPER PUNISHMENT?

"[quote user="Garbloz"]to me this is at the top of crimes for the nfl. we are talking about hurting other people. this is one of the few things that deserve to give the people involved a lifetime ban.

just like to add since its illegal to to hurt people outside the nfl i think it should be the same as an assault charge. we aren't talking about hard hittting football, we are talking about purposely trying to injure players[/quote]
    This is nothing new. I think we all know this has gone on in the NFL probably since the league began. If it wasn't systemic, at least it was done with a nod and a wink amongst players and even coaches.

But that doesn't make it okay, any more than bigotry, fascism or any other despicable behavior. All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

It's bad enough when players do this like a "friendly" pool or wager. But for it to be instituted by a coach, and for the head coach to know about it and not put a stop to it immediately, is almost incomprehensible.

This is nothing like SpyGate. This is much worse and this scandal will explode. I wouldn't be surprised if other players come forward from other teams where things similar were going on, going back decades. Get your popcorn ready. The conversation is just beginning.

The penalty? I couldn't fathom a guess.

Eh, the main issue is the Saints were incredibly stupid enough to organize a transparent extracurricular payment system that exceeds the salary cap.

Players cloud incentives for teammates through dinner, electronics, jewelry etc. all the time.

I'll wait till I hear details of how they were trying to hurt players. Headhunting occurs on every team.

[quote user="bLuereverie"]Eh, the main issue is the Saints were incredibly stupid enough to organize a transparent extracurricular payment system that exceeds the salary cap.

Players cloud incentives for teammates through dinner, electronics, jewelry etc. all the time.

I'll wait till I hear details of how they were trying to hurt players. Headhunting occurs on every team.[/quote]

Your stating opinion and supposition as fact.

You have no idea what goes on on every team. I very seriously doubt every team doesnt have a bounty system. I would argue they are quite rare judging by the player's reaction to this info.

I know the NFLPA is reeling from this scandal because it undermines their argument that it is the LEAGUE, not the players, that have been negligent in the healthcare and safety of players. When a story like this comes out, that it is in fact the players not only actively trying to hurt each other but PAYING for it, the Players association arguments go out the window.

When you have players injured by the supposed "bounty" Saints now consulting attorneys with possible litigation to follow, I think that says that headhunting is in fact NOT the norm. If some players are that disgusted, how could it be?

I don't know what kind of punishment will be handed out by Goodell. By some people standards, the punishment will be too lenient.</P>

</P>

But I would like to see a huge fine, loss of draft picks, and possibly suspensions to the players and/or the coaches that were involved. I have already read how there could be lawsuits against the players that took part in this bounty program.</P>

</P>

</P>

Greg Williams has a track record of being involved with borderline/dirty play defenses, back to his days with the Titans and Jeff Fisher. Hopefully he suffers some consequences even if he is now the Rams D coordinator. He is deserving of a fine and some suspension time.</P>
    "Why did it take us three years to figure out Jerel Jernigan can play?" John Mara

If the saints did it maybe some other teams did.

Veteran

Fine everybody- coaches, players, organization

Saints lose 2012 2nd and 2012 1st draft picks.

Suspend Williams for 1 year.

Give short suspensions to the worst offending players.

I wish they had a 1st rounder this year.. Just like 2008 when we picked 32nd.. we would move up to 31..

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="bLuereverie"]Eh, the main issue is the Saints were incredibly stupid enough to organize a transparent extracurricular payment system that exceeds the salary cap.

I'll wait till I hear details of how they were trying to hurt players. Headhunting occurs on every team.[/quote]

Your stating opinion and supposition as fact.

You have no idea what goes on on every team. I very seriously doubt every team doesnt have a bounty system. I would argue they are quite rare judging by the player's reaction to this info.

*I know the NFLPA is reeling from this scandal because it undermines their argument that it is the LEAGUE, not the players, that have been negligent in the healthcare and safety of players. When a story like this comes out, that it is in fact the players not only actively trying to hurt each other but PAYING for it, the Players association arguments go out the window.

When you have players injured by the supposed "bounty" Saints now consulting attorneys with possible litigation to follow, I think that says that headhunting is in fact NOT the norm. If some players are that disgusted, how could
    it be?
    [/quote]

I'm not saying every team had a pay per injury bounty. But player rewards is nothing new, nor is it really taboo as it is seen as nothing more than informal incentive amongst teammates. i.e. Packers D getting BestBuy giftcards for holding rival Peterson under 100 yards.

The difference between the Saints is the issues started above the players with their coaching staff knowing and participating, using money taken from player fines, as well as the fact they were warned by the NFL but continued to do so.

Either drop their salary cap by 10 mill for a couple years or take away their ability to tag players.

They tried taking good players off other teams, now make it so they lose good players from theirs.

Brees needs to give up his stats NCAA!!! lol