+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Will Opponents still try hard to Stop the run and let Eli beat them?

I remember not too far ago, some posters may have said that the Giants's opponents put up a defense to stop the Giants running game and let Eli beat them with passing the ball for their reasons. One of them was that Eli threw a lot of ints, so the more chances he threw the ball, the more chances the ball could end up in a defender's hands.

Now that Eli is a real big weapon by being a big factor in the Giants winning the Superbowl for the second time, what the other teams are going to do now, try to take away the pass and let the run beat them? If so can they do it?

All-Pro

Re: Will Opponents still try hard to Stop the run and let Eli beat them?

The part that bothers me is I don't think they really had to try hard to stop the run. The OL was not good and it was hard for them to keep both RB's healthy all year. In fact they where never completely healthy.

I would love for them to fix the running game. I know they won the Super Bowl and all with a bad run game, but next year they will be the hunted. Not that Eli can not beat a defense, but it's always. Ether to not be one dimentional.

I think it will be similar to the strategy the Pats used in the Super Bowl (even though the Pats lost). "It's a Nicks and Cruz game." None of the Giants other receiving options will be proven, so teams will try to take away Nicks and Cruz and get as much pressure on Eli as possible. This is why I agree with Buddy that we can't make it so easy for teams to stop the run. I worry about defenses teeing off on Eli, as he took some vicious hits this past year.

[quote user="LT_was_good"]I think it will be similar to the strategy the Pats used in the Super Bowl (even though the Pats lost).* "It's a Nicks and Cruz game."* None of the Giants other receiving options will be proven, so teams will try to take away Nicks and Cruz and get as much pressure on Eli as possible.* This is why I agree with Buddy that we can't make it so easy for teams to stop the run.* I worry about defenses teeing off on Eli, as he took some vicious hits this past year.
    [/quote]All qbs will take hits some more than others. A lot of times Eli gets rid of the ball on almost every play in the past and hardly takes sacks. He also use to rush his throws. I believe that opponents will try to take the pass away.

I agree that our opponents will try to take away the pass because of our WRs and Eli being able to take over a game, after last season I don't think any team fears our running game. No matter what we think of our WRs you must be able to run the football and IMO thats the area that has to be fixed this offseason and if we can do that the sky is the limit for next season...

the first priority of any defesnse is to stop the run IF there is a runinng game that poses a threat. The Gianst WANT a running game that poses a threat. I would love for a defense to HAVE to play the run on the Giants. It sets up everything else.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

All-Pro

I forgot what game it was this year but they showed the Giants rushing stats since TC became the head coach. I want to say it showed the where ranked a top 5 rushing team every year except last year.

I like seeing Eli and the WR's making big plays, but I miss the ground game they had when they would just run the ball and the defense could not stop it. Just ramming the ball down field.

Hopefully with some tweeking of the OL our running game can be more consistent throughout the whole season.

All-Pro

[quote user="DelawareGiants"]Hopefully with some tweeking of the OL our running game can be more consistent throughout the whole season.[/quote]

I'm hoping that Beatty can stay healthy, Baas has a better second year with his new team and he also stays healthy, and hopefully the guys around Snee play better. I think his game struggled because the Center and RT where struggling all year.

Boothe was solid it I'm not sure how he would be as a full time starter. Maybe Petrus can step up and hopefully Brewer can be a good RT.

As far as Diehl and KMac, restructure or something because they need the money and try played poorly last year.

I think the answer to your question depends entirely on how well we can run the ball.