+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Game of 2012 Season

I'm not sure which forum this should go in, but..

We now all know who the Giants will not be playing on the Wednesday night kickoff game. The Saints are now eliminated, so it seems the Packers are most likely - if they weren't already.

Re: First Game of 2012 Season

It will be Giants - Packers

packers or steelers

[quote user="Voldamort"]packers or steelers[/quote]

I'd say the chances are greatest for it to be vs Packers, due to the preference to pit the previous 2 SB winners against each other, as you all suggest.

But I believe a very close second choice would be against the Cowboys, for several reasons.

A Cowboys-Giants opening night match up would give NBC one more story line to promote, in addition to beginning the new season with THEIR braodcast:

NBC aired THE final game of 2011, which involved the Giants' and Cowboys' do-or-die must-win situation to win the East and make the post season.

Opening the 2012 season with the same match up -- and aired by the same network -- that ended the 2011 regular season (and which was won by the ultimate SB champs) is just too much of a "truth-is-stranger-than fiction" scenario to pass up.

Now that I see this typed out, I'll put my money (so to speak, only) on a Giants-Cowboys opening night game.

The symmetry this involves is just too much for NFL and NBC to overlook.

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="Voldamort"]packers or steelers[/quote]

I'd say the chances are greatest for it to be vs Packers, due to the preference to pit the previous 2 SB winners against each other, as you all suggest.

But I believe a very close second choice would be against the Cowboys, for several reasons.

A Cowboys-Giants opening night match up would give NBC one more story line to promote, in addition to beginning the new season with THEIR braodcast:

NBC aired THE final game of 2011, which involved the Giants' and Cowboys' do-or-die must-win situation to win the East and make the post season.

Opening the 2012 season with the same match up -- and aired by the same network -- that ended the 2011 regular season (and which was won by the ultimate SB champs) is just too much of a "truth-is-stranger-than fiction" scenario to pass up.

Now that I see this typed out, I'll put my money (so to speak, only) on a Giants-Cowboys opening night game.

The symmetry this involves is just too much for NFL and NBC to overlook.[/quote]

Good points - although I don't know how much influence the network has in decisions like this. I'll give you $1,500 to knock the Packers out of the running. []

[quote user="chasjay"][quote user="gmen46"][quote user="Voldamort"]packers or steelers[/quote]

The symmetry this involves is just too much for NFL and NBC to overlook.[/quote]

Good points - although I don't know how much influence the network has in decisions like this. I'll give you $1,500 to knock the Packers out of the running. []

[/quote]

Oh oh. A bounty on this board? We better be careful, or we'll be fined and suspended by the league!

As for network influence on scheduling decisions, I admit I don't know how much influence networks have regarding them.

But I am guessing that, of all 4 networks who have contracts with the NFL (setting aside NFL Network, because I have no idea of it's game broadcasting contract with the team owners), that NBC may have more say on the matter than do ESPN, CBS, and FOX.

And because all of their broadcasts are in prime time, whether it's Sunday night, Saturday night, or Thursday night, I'm guessing (I don't know for fact, but it is reasonable to assume since prime time TV generates far more revenue than does Sun afternoon TV) that NBC pays the NFL more to broadcast each game than do ESPN, CBS and FOX.

And before you say "so does ESPN", just look at the ESPN/MNF schedule of games as opposed to the NBC/SNF schedule every season since NBC procured SNF rights (6-7 years ago?), to understand which of the 2 have more influence over their schedules.

In fact, look no further than our last game of 2011 season, vs Cowboys. It was moved from FOX in the afternoon to NBC Sunday night, once the league and NBC realized the the significance of the game and it's likely national audience pull.

Yes, it would appear that NBC has some influence over which games get flexed to Sunday Night (they turned down the Broncos vs Pats game last season), but I believe everything else (including the season opener) is at the league's discretion.

[quote user="Flip Empty"]Yes, it would appear that NBC has some influence over which games get flexed to Sunday Night (they turned down the Broncos vs Pats game last season), but I believe everything else (including the season opener) is at the league's discretion.[/quote]

You could be right. I have no information to dispute your statement.

But I'm guessing the "league's discretion" is tilted towards NBC's wishes ESPECIALLY for the first game of the season. And if you think about it, it makes some sense. One NBC Sunday Night game will generate more revenue than any single FOX, CBS, or even ESPN game, so they will naturally want to broadcast a blue chip game, especially the game that launches the new season.

Their selection would, by definition in my opinion, be in the best interest of the NFL as well as NBC, because it would be a match up that should--theoretically at least--pull the broadest and the largest viewing audience. A win-win for the league and the network.

It will probably be Green Bay...but I really hope we play the Eagles.

Cowboys or Packers sounds good. I'm not quite sold on the belief that the saints are out of that contention yet either. That was the one NFC playoff epic matchup we didn't get to see in 2011 (although i'm happy we didn't, since it means we got a super bowl)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.