+ Reply to Thread

FORMER SAINTS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR GREGG WILLIAMS TO MEET WITH NFL OVER PAID BOUNTIES

FORMER SAINTS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR GREGG WILLIAMS TO MEET WITH NFL OVER PAID BOUNTIES

"The NFL's investigation that found the New Orleans Saints paid bounties to
    players for knocking opponents out of games is far from over.

League spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email to The Associated Press on
    Sunday the NFL will be "addressing the issues raised as part of our
    responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of the game."</p>

Those issues could include previous seasons, too.</p>

Several players around the league have said the Saints and defensive
    coordinator Gregg Williams weren't the only ones with such a system. Former
    Redskins safety Matt Bowen said Williams had a similar bounty scheme when he was
    in Washington.</p>

Williams, according to a report by ESPN, will be meeting with league security
    officials on Monday to discuss the alleged wrongdoings. </p>

Aiello said the league would not comment on other reports. He added that the
    NFL will look at "any relevant info regarding rules being broken," saying that
    is "standard procedure."</p>

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh insisted Sunday his team had no bounty
    program.</p>

"I don't take part in those things and nor do my teammates and nor my
    coaches. We don't allow that," said Suh, who was suspended for two games this
    season for stomping on an opponent and has been fined frequently by the NFL for
    rough play."</p>

"For me, personally, and I know my teammates, we don't want to put anybody
    out," he added. "Especially me, I would never want anybody to target me to take
    me out, so why would I do it against somebody else."</p>

The Saints maintained a bounty pool of up to $50,000 the last three seasons,
    the NFL said. Payoffs came for inflicting game-ending injuries, among other
    events. The investigation by NFL security found that quarterbacks Brett Favre
    and Kurt Warner were among the players targeted. "Knockouts" were worth $1,500
    and "cart-offs" $1,000, with payments doubled or tripled for the playoffs.</p>

All payouts for specific performances in a game, including interceptions or
    causing fumbles, are against NFL rules. The NFL also warns teams against such
    practices before each season.</p>

The NFL said the findings were corroborated by multiple, independent sources,
    and the pool amounts peaked in 2009, the year the Saints won the Super Bowl.</p>

"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just
    payments for 'performance,' but also for injuring opposing players,"
    Commissioner Roger Goodell said Friday in a statement. "The bounty rule promotes
    two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity."</p>

The league said 22 to 27 defensive players were involved in the program and
    it was administered by Williams, with the knowledge of coach Sean Payton.</p>

"It was a terrible mistake," Williams said. "And we knew it was wrong while
    we were doing it."</p>

No punishments have been handed out, but they could include suspension, fines
    and loss of draft picks.</p>

Williams also has been the defensive coordinator in Tennessee and
    Jacksonville, was the head coach of the Buffalo Bills, and in January was hired
    by new Rams coach Jeff Fisher to lead the defense.</p>

The league could look into whether such bounties were used with any of those
    teams and, of course, with the Redskins in light of Bowen's comments.</p>

In New Orleans, players contributed cash to the pool, at times large amounts,
    and in some cases the money pledged was directed against a specific person, the
    NFL said.</p>

One Saint fined last season for flagrant hits was safety Roman Harper. In
    Week 14 against Tennessee, he made two hits that drew a total of $22,500 in
    fines.</p>

Harper was fined $15,000 for roughing the passer on a helmet-to-helmet hit,
    and another $7,500 for unnecessary roughness when he pulled down receiver Damian
    Williams by his helmet after a long catch and run. The tackle likely stopped
    Williams from scoring, and Gregg Williams defended Harper's aggressiveness on
    that play after the game.</p>

"If that guy doesn't want his head tore off, duck. Because that's how we're
    playing. He needs to duck, OK? And that is exactly what you have to do,"
    Williams said. "One of the things about playing in this league is that your
    mental toughness, your physical toughness, all that kind of stuff works hand in
    hand. And I love Roman Harper and the way he plays, and evidently a lot of other
    people and players in the league do, too, because they keep on voting him to the
    Pro Bowl."</p>

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: FORMER SAINTS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR GREGG WILLIAMS TO MEET WITH NFL OVER PAID BOUNTIES

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]FORMER SAINTS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR GREGG WILLIAMS TO MEET WITH NFL OVER PAID BOUNTIES

"The NFL's investigation that found the New Orleans Saints paid bounties to
    players for knocking opponents out of games is far from over.

League spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email to The Associated Press on
    Sunday the NFL will be "addressing the issues raised as part of our
    responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of the game."</p>

Those issues could include previous seasons, too.</p>

Several players around the league have said the Saints and defensive
    coordinator Gregg Williams weren't the only ones with such a system. Former
    Redskins safety Matt Bowen said Williams had a similar bounty scheme when he was
    in Washington.</p>

Williams, according to a report by ESPN, will be meeting with league security
    officials on Monday to discuss the alleged wrongdoings. </p>

Aiello said the league would not comment on other reports. He added that the
    NFL will look at "any relevant info regarding rules being broken," saying that
    is "standard procedure."</p>

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh insisted Sunday his team had no bounty
    program.</p>

"I don't take part in those things and nor do my teammates and nor my
    coaches. We don't allow that," said Suh, who was suspended for two games this
    season for stomping on an opponent and has been fined frequently by the NFL for
    rough play."</p>

"For me, personally, and I know my teammates, we don't want to put anybody
    out," he added. "Especially me, I would never want anybody to target me to take
    me out, so why would I do it against somebody else."</p>

The Saints maintained a bounty pool of up to $50,000 the last three seasons,
    the NFL said. Payoffs came for inflicting game-ending injuries, among other
    events. The investigation by NFL security found that quarterbacks Brett Favre
    and Kurt Warner were among the players targeted. "Knockouts" were worth $1,500
    and "cart-offs" $1,000, with payments doubled or tripled for the playoffs.</p>

All payouts for specific performances in a game, including interceptions or
    causing fumbles, are against NFL rules. The NFL also warns teams against such
    practices before each season.</p>

The NFL said the findings were corroborated by multiple, independent sources,
    and the pool amounts peaked in 2009, the year the Saints won the Super Bowl.</p>

"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just
    payments for 'performance,' but also for injuring opposing players,"
    Commissioner Roger Goodell said Friday in a statement. "The bounty rule promotes
    two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity."</p>

The league said 22 to 27 defensive players were involved in the program and
    it was administered by Williams, with the knowledge of coach Sean Payton.</p>

"It was a terrible mistake," Williams said. "And we knew it was wrong while
    we were doing it."</p>

No punishments have been handed out, but they could include suspension, fines
    and loss of draft picks.</p>

Williams also has been the defensive coordinator in Tennessee and
    Jacksonville, was the head coach of the Buffalo Bills, and in January was hired
    by new Rams coach Jeff Fisher to lead the defense.</p>

The league could look into whether such bounties were used with any of those
    teams and, of course, with the Redskins in light of Bowen's comments.</p>

In New Orleans, players contributed cash to the pool, at times large amounts,
    and in some cases the money pledged was directed against a specific person, the
    NFL said.</p>

One Saint fined last season for flagrant hits was safety Roman Harper. In
    Week 14 against Tennessee, he made two hits that drew a total of $22,500 in
    fines.</p>

Harper was fined $15,000 for roughing the passer on a helmet-to-helmet hit,
    and another $7,500 for unnecessary roughness when he pulled down receiver Damian
    Williams by his helmet after a long catch and run. The tackle likely stopped
    Williams from scoring, and Gregg Williams defended Harper's aggressiveness on
    that play after the game.</p>

"If that guy doesn't want his head tore off, duck. Because that's how we're
    playing. He needs to duck, OK? And that is exactly what you have to do,"
    Williams said. "One of the things about playing in this league is that your
    mental toughness, your physical toughness, all that kind of stuff works hand in
    hand. And I love Roman Harper and the way he plays, and evidently a lot of other
    people and players in the league do, too, because they keep on voting him to the
    Pro Bowl."</p>

[/quote]
    *crosses fingers for expulsion for williams and Saints losing all draft picks for next 2 years and loses 10 mil in salary cap allowance and a 1 mil sean payton fine*

Re: FORMER SAINTS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR GREGG WILLIAMS TO MEET WITH NFL OVER PAID BOUNTIES

This is what's called the "hot seat" for Williams
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1