+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bad start for receiver contracts

In a year where most of us would like to extend Cruz to get him as cheap as possible, because it will probably be what Nicks will base what he wants off of - we had a bad start....

Stevie Johnson is the first FA (or was about to be a FA) WR to get a deal. 36 mil over 5 years, 20 guaranteed, and its front loaded.

This is going to set the presedence for WRs for the rest of FA and probably effect Cruz.

This is no bueno
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

All-Pro

Re: Bad start for receiver contracts

Better start saving now.

Veteran

But we need to sign Mario Williams and Carl Nicks!

/red

cruz has already displayed a good team attitude, saying he isnt demanding a new contract right now.

as good as he was, he is still our #2 wr. S.Johnson is a #1 wr.

I imagine Cruz would be STOKED with a 5 year deal worth 20-25 mil which for his production is a bargain...i don't see him demanding to be the highest paid wr or top 5 or anything, just payed fairly...not worried too much about it as I'm sure both Nicks and Cruz know that having each other is paramount to their sustainable success...

Nicks is gonna want to be paid like a top 5 WR in the NFL. Not really sure why you think Cruz will be Nick's measuring stick at all. Nicks is the number 1 reciever on the team and first round draft choice. Plus he and more importantly his agent know that alot of Cruz success is based on the attention Nicks gets. If the Giants sit down with Nicks talking about Cruz's contract that conversation will go south very quickly.

We bring Cruz in and talk turkey. Say hey you had a great year you deserve a boost. But I doubt we're going to pay him top 5 money.

Actually I know we aren't

Nicks on the other hand will demand top 5 money but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

[quote user="giantsfan420"]cruz has already displayed a good team attitude, saying he isnt demanding a new contract right now.

as good as he was, he is still our #2 wr. S.Johnson is a #1 wr.

I imagine Cruz would be STOKED with a 5 year deal worth 20-25 mil which for his production is a bargain...i don't see him demanding to be the highest paid wr or top 5 or anything, just payed fairly...not worried too much about it as I'm sure both Nicks and Cruz know that having each other is paramount to their sustainable success...[/quote]

Cruz is a #2 here, but his talent is #1...

the longer we wait, the worse it will be for us. He will cost more next year than he does this year.

[quote user="burier"]Nicks is gonna want to be paid like a top 5 WR in the NFL. Not really sure why you think Cruz will be Nick's measuring stick at all. Nicks is the number 1 reciever on the team and first round draft choice. Plus he and more importantly his agent know that alot of Cruz success is based on the attention Nicks gets. If the Giants sit down with Nicks talking about Cruz's contract that conversation will go south very quickly.

We bring Cruz in and talk turkey. Say hey you had a great year you deserve a boost. But I doubt we're going to pay him top 5 money.

Nicks on the other hand will demand top 5 money but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.[/quote]

Yea but much like Bradshaw/Jacobs, if u get one to sacrifice you can get the other

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="burier"]Nicks is gonna want to be paid like a top 5 WR in the NFL. Not really sure why you think Cruz will be Nick's measuring stick at all. Nicks is the number 1 reciever on the team and first round draft choice. Plus he and more importantly his agent know that alot of Cruz success is based on the attention Nicks gets. If the Giants sit down with Nicks talking about Cruz's contract that conversation will go south very quickly.

Nicks on the other hand will demand top 5 money but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.[/quote]

Yea but much like Bradshaw/Jacobs, if* u get one to sacrifice you can get the other
    [/quote]

The thing with Cruz is I think he's just looking for a good faith offer from the Giants. "I did good this year so take care of me"

I don't necessarily think he's going to use the current WR market as an end all be all measuring stick. He's under contract. The Giants have more leverage. I don't think we're going to lose our shirt over Victor Cruz...not yet atleast.

The difference between Bradshaw/Jacobs and Nicks/Cruz is that Bradshaw and Jacobs were both late round draft picks who as Giants had good years but not great years that would drive their value up on the market. They like playing together..they like the team..they take a little less money.

Nicks on the other hand is a first round pick and looks like he could be making a step into that upper echelon of recievers. Cruz's "sacrifice" in the case is unlikely to hold any weight in Nick's mind.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

The main concern for me is Nicks.

Everyone else is secondary.

Cruz deserves a pay raise, but he is still under contract.

I don't see the Giants doing anything this off-season is regards to Cruz. If he plays well next year I see the Giants giving him a fair pay raise before the season ends.

Giants fan since the early 80s

That is alot of money for him. That is going to set the market very high. I agree that is not good news for us.