+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GIANTS HAVE SEVERAL OFF SEASON TASKS THAT REQUIRE SIGNIFICANT ATTENTION

GIANTS HAVE SEVERAL OFF SEASON TASKS THAT REQUIRE SIGNIFICANT ATTENTION

"The New York
    Giants are the reigning champions of the NFL world, but with several of their own free agents set
    to hit the open market and the combine within a couple of weeks of their Super
    Bowl triumph, the Big Blue front office has had to quickly shift its attention
    to the roster and salary cap.Today at Giants 101, we look at some of the pressing tasks on the Giants
    offseason checklist.

1. Address the Cornerback Position

Corey Webster and Prince Amukamara are locked into contracts for the Giants
    next season. Webster is one of the league’s most underrated covermen, clearly
    serving as the Giants #1 cornerback and playing a big role in both their SB XLII
    and SB XLVI campaigns. Amukamara battled a foot injury going into his rookie
    season, but did show more confidence down the stretch in the playoffs for New York,
    albeit in a limited role.

Outside of that however, the depth chart is currently a little slim, with
    both Terrell
    Thomas
    and Aaron
    Ross
    set to hit free agency. Thomas had a Pro Bowl caliber 2010 season,
    before missing the 2011 season with an ACL injury. Ross was very inconsistent as
    a starter this past season, but certainly picked up his play during the
    postseason run, and his primary value comes in his aggressiveness against the
    running game. I have to think the Giants will be able to reach an agreement with
    Thomas before free agency – as his physicality and playmaking ability from the
    cornerback position will be a welcome addition to this defensive unit going
    forward. Ross’s inconsistency and demand for a big contract coming off a Super
    Bowl season may spell a divorce with the G-Men this off-season.

Beyond that, look for the Giants to consider a middle round pick to bring
    into the mix along with Webster, Thomas, and Amukamara, and also possibly bring
    back a guy like Bruce Johnson or Brian Witherspoon – who was having a strong
    camp for New York
    before also going down with a torn ACL.

2. Address the Tight End Position

With Jake Ballard and Travis
    Beckum
    both suffering torn ACL’s late in the Giants 2011 season, the Giants
    know they have to bring in another player to compete at the top of the depth
    chart at this position.

With JerMichael Finley recently re-signing with Green Bay and the Redskins
    putting the franchise tag on Fred Davis, Martellus Bennett, John Carlson, and
    Visanthe Shiancoe are now at the top of the list of free agent tight ends.
    Bennett has had maturity issues with Dallas, although his upside is certainly
    immense, and Carlson and Shiancoe have seen diminishing roles in their
    respective offenses over the past season. Bennett is the type of big, athletic
    pass catcher New York
    could really use alongside Jake Ballard – but the Giants are unlikely to pursue
    him unless they feel certain that he’s ready to carry himself as a professional.
    Shiancoe is a former Giant and Carlson has some upside, so if a bargain can be
    had the Giants may prefer to bring one of the two in. If all fails on the free
    agent front, New York
    may have to look to a slim tight end draft class to address the question mark
    here.

3. Solve the Running Back Puzzle

Will Brandon Jacobs restructure his contract and be back with the team in
    2012? That’s the big question in the Giants offensive backfield, and the answer
    is very much up in the air. New York was very much in the mix to draft Mark Ingram
    prior to last season, but went with Prince Amukamara who fell further down the
    draft board than expected.

If Jacobs leaves the team this off-season, the Giants have the option of
    bringing in a young, explosive back in the early rounds of the NFL draft – or
    looking to a free agent running back class where they may find a number two back
    in a Tim Hightower, Michael Bush, or even Peyton Hillis. What do all three have
    in common? A physical running style. The Giants offense could use a pass catcher
    out of the backfield, so that could be a point of emphasis in potential
    additions as well.

4. Replace Mario
    Manningham
    ?

Manningham is one of the top Giants free agents likely to leave the team this
    off-season, coming off a big postseason performance as the number three receiver
    and looking for a big contract and a bigger role offensively. Washington, Tampa
    Bay, San Diego, Chicago, and San Francisco could all be potential suitors.

It was clear this season that the Giants passing game was far more
    consistently effective when all three receivers were healthy and contributing,
    and in turn, finding a replacement for Mario should he leave the team will be of
    rather high importance.

On the free agent front, New York could look to Laurent Robinson or Plaxico
    Burress – but both options seem unlikely in my mind, as Robinson will likely get
    a bigger offer elsewhere, and Burress is getting up there in age and has a shaky
    relationship with Giants head coach Tom Coughlin.

Don’t be surprised if another early round wideout is added to the mix in
    April through the draft, although the Giants have expressed confidence in Jerrel
    Jernigan and also re-signed Domenik
    Hixon
    who has had success as a primary pass catcher for this team in past
    seasons before injuries took their toll.

5. Osi Umenyiora

What happens with Umenyiora this off-season could have a domino effect on
    this Giants defense. If New York decides to move Osi, you will likely see more of
    Mathias Kiwanuka at defensive end next season creating a bit more of a need for
    more talent at the linebacker position. If New York is able to keep Umenyiora, it allows them to
    come into 2012 with the same defensive end group (a huge plus), and keep
    Kiwanuka as a hybrid type player while giving them more flexibility as to where
    to add talent on the defensive side of the ball.

6. The Offensive Line

There were all types of things going on with this unit in 2011 – whether it
    be injuries, inconsistency, or guys having to move around and play several
    different positions due to both.

David
    Baas
    had an up and down campaign in his first season as a Giant at center,
    and Will Beatty was not able to complete the full season at left tackle with
    injury. David
    Diehl
    had some very difficult games in the regular season, and Kareem
    McKenzie is a free agent whose play has slowly deteriorated over the past two
    and a half seasons.

It’s going to be very, very interesting to see how Reese and his staff
    approach this unit this off-season. Step one is deciding whether McKenzie will
    be back with the team next season. From there, the Giants could bring in
    competition at a number of different positions along the line.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS HAVE SEVERAL OFF SEASON TASKS THAT REQUIRE SIGNIFICANT ATTENTION

One that is not on there is Steve Weatherford. He did a great job for us last year and I hope we make it a priority to re-sign him.

Also, we need a Return game!!!!!!

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]One that is not on there is Steve Weatherford. He did a great job for us last year and I hope we make it a priority to re-sign him.[/quote]He he wants to be overpaid then let an other team do it. we have matt dodge to sign.

Veteran

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]One that is not on there is Steve Weatherford. He did a great job for us last year and I hope we make it a priority to re-sign him.[/quote]

For some reason I was under the impression Weathford already resigned shortly after the super bowl.

I suspect they plan to do all that AFTER locking up Chase Blackburn to a muti-year, multi-million dollar contract though. Can't have too many players thaat can single handedly win playoff games and Superbowls, can we?[]
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “**** waffles.”......G Carlin

[quote user="FBomb"]I suspect they plan to do all that AFTER locking up Chase Blackburn to a muti-year, multi-million dollar contract though.* Can't have too many players thaat can single handedly win playoff games and Superbowls, can we?[][/quote]8 year $120 million dollar deal with at least 40 of it guaranteed sounds fair for both sides.

[quote user="TheEnigma"][quote user="FBomb"]I suspect they plan to do all that AFTER locking up Chase Blackburn to a muti-year, multi-million dollar contract though. Can't have too many players thaat can single handedly win playoff games and Superbowls, can we?[][/quote]8 year $120 million dollar deal with at least 40 of it guaranteed sounds fair for both sides.[/quote]

Sounds about right.

And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “**** waffles.”......G Carlin

[quote user="FBomb"]

[quote user="TheEnigma"][quote user="FBomb"]I suspect they plan to do all that AFTER locking up Chase Blackburn to a muti-year, multi-million dollar contract though.* Can't have too many players thaat can single handedly win playoff games and Superbowls, can we?[][/quote]8 year $120 million dollar deal with at least 40 of it guaranteed sounds fair for both sides.[/quote]

Sounds about right.

[/quote] I dont know...I think he could get at least 135 mill from another team.

[quote user="Roxersboxers"][quote user="FBomb"]

[quote user="TheEnigma"][quote user="FBomb"]I suspect they plan to do all that AFTER locking up Chase Blackburn to a muti-year, multi-million dollar contract though. Can't have too many players thaat can single handedly win playoff games and Superbowls, can we?[][/quote]8 year $120 million dollar deal with at least 40 of it guaranteed sounds fair for both sides.[/quote]

Sounds about right.

[/quote] I dont know...I think he could get at least 135 mill from another team.[/quote]

Do the Raiders and Redskins have room under the cap?