+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SUPER MARIO IS READY TO BE FREE

SUPER MARIO IS READY TO BE FREE

"Mario Manningham had heard all about the infamous NFL Films clip, where Bill
    Belichick, before the final drive of Super Bowl XLVI, implores his defense to
    “make them go to Manningham.”

What was the Super Bowl hero’s reaction to
    that?

“Thank you,” Manningham said on Monday night.

He should
    thank Belichick, because who knows how much Manningham’s spectacular, 38-yard
    catch that kick-started the game-winning drive of Super Bowl XLVI will factor in
    to the millions of dollars he’s likely to earn when free agency starts next
    Tuesday. He could be one of the top receivers on the open market, earning a
    contract worth $7 million per year or more.

And yes, Manningham will be
    a free agent when the market opens on March 13. Though in the past he put his chances
    of re-signing with the Giants at 25-50 percent
    , he said on Monday night that
    he does expect to hit the market. He said no progress has been made in talks
    with the Giants, and given their problematic salary cap situation it’s doubtful
    they’ll be able to afford him once he’s free.

“I want to be here,”
    Manningham said at a theater in Times Square where he and four of his teammates
    previewed the Giants’ championship DVD, which was officially released by Vivendi
    Entertainment on Tuesday. “I feel like we can do a lot of damage in these next
    four, five years. That’s just how I feel, because we’re all
    young.

“It’s not up to me, I want to stay. (But) it’s a business too.
    You’ve got to look at it like that, too. It’s a business. That’s how it is.
    You got to look out for your family, that’s how it is.”

If you’re still
    holding your breath waiting for Manningham to return, you can exhale now. He’s
    leaving. The Giants were already projected to be over the 2012 salary cap – or
    the projected cap, since the number hasn’t been released yet – and that was
    before they re-signed
    Domenik Hixon
    – a one-year, minimum-salary contract with no bonus, according
    to an NFL source -- and slapped
    a $2.6 million “franchise” tag on Steve Weatherford
    . They still have work to
    do just to get under the cap by Tuesday, so there’s a near-zero chance they’d
    find the room for the kind of contract Manningham is
    expecting.

Considering he’s their third receiver, they probably wouldn’t
    consider giving him a contract like that anyway.

That does leave a
    pretty big void on the Giants’ roster, though. Both Eli Manning and Hakeem Nicks
    acknowledged the importance of having three dangerous options. After all, as
    Belichick noted in his Super Bowl please to his defense, the only reason he was
    willing to let Manningham catch passes was because he was much more concerned
    about Nicks and Victor Cruz.

“We’d love to have Mario back to be a part
    of our team,” Nicks said. “He’s definitely got a big role in our offense and we
    would love to have him back.”

“Hopefully we have Mario back,” Manning
    added. “He had a tremendous playoff run. He stepped in when Hakeem was hurt or
    Vic was down. He stepped in and started for us and made big plays. He’s been in
    this offense a long time and knows it and obviously has big-play potential.
    Hopefully he’s back. If not, we’ll deal with that.” Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: SUPER MARIO IS READY TO BE FREE

thanks Ro....

Too bad the $$ is not there for MM. Good luck to him.

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

I'm fine with MM walking, its been good.

Really happy for MM. I remember saying over and over throughout the playoffs, "Make some big plays for us, bump up your value and help us at the same time" and he certainly did.

I'm looking forward to Jernigan and Barden getting more playing time.

Jernigan was starting to look really fast on the field.
    Manning is king of the comebacks, having engineered 24 fourth-quarter comebacks and 28 game-winning drives, including two in the final minutes of Super Bowls XLVI and XLII. Moreover, his quarterback rating rises to 94.2 in "late-and-close" games. With numerous comebacks, eight postseason victories and a pair of Super Bowl MVPs under his belt, few have been better with the game on the line.

Veteran

Nothing we don't already know as far as Mario goes. I am more enamored by the fact that Weatherford got the Franchise Tag. Has a punter ever been franchise tagged by any NFL team before? Something aboutfranchise tagging your punterjust seems hilarious to me.

Edit: Nevermind I see the Weatherford thread, no need to answer my question.

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

[quote user="C1010"]I'm fine with MM walking, its been good.
    [/quote]The money will be good for him, but the Giants can replace him easily.

[quote user="giantsforce"][quote user="C1010"]I'm fine with MM walking, its been good.
    [/quote]

Well said. Couldn't agree more. He made a great catch in the superbowl. The drop he had when we played SF the first time still bothers me. But hey, I guess it all worked out huh? Enjoy the $$$ mario. you deserve it!

[quote user="timmytimm3"]I'm looking forward to Jernigan and Barden getting more playing time. Jernigan was starting to look really fast on the field.[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for. Barden has looked like a big stiff and Jernigan has shown nothing other than some good special teams play.

[quote user="giantsforce"][quote user="C1010"]I'm fine with MM walking, its been good.
    [/quote]

Just curious, with who?