+ Reply to Thread

Enigma's Mock 2.0 (No trades)

#32 - Devon Still, DT, Penn State - You might possibly be thinking that there's no chance that Still will be around at this pick but I don't think that's the case. There's a real chance that after Tannehill, another team that sort of has QB problems (Seahawks, Jets, Dolphins) could reach for a QB to be safe so they acquire their guy. You also have to consider that the two defensive tackles Poe and Brockers have seen their stock rise recently and that it could make teams "forget" about Still and push him down to us.

Still can take up two blockers and still apply pressure on the QB in passing situations. Excellent at pursuing RB's but has inconsistency in keeping his pads low but this can be coached. Also has fatigue issues but I think he would fit in greatly with our line rotation. Probably could add a little more weight. With Austin as an uncertainty and Bernard aging, this would be a wise pick in the event of an injury happening to Canty or Joseph. If he develops well, he could also offer as a replacement when Canty hits FA or if we ever need to escape his contract.

#64 - Bobby Massie, RT, Ole Miss - Probably one of the best run blockers in this draft, Massie has an ideal frame for the right tackle position and could help the Giants running game return to form. He's also very good against speed rushers as well and can play effectively at the second level. The only knack against him would be being able to get by solely on his physical abilities and will probably need to work on technique a bit more at the NFL level. We have Brewer but we should give him good competition for the starting job and depth is sorely needed as well.

#96 - Ladarius Green, TE, Lafayette - Almost a complete prospect in terms of receiving, he offers great hands for snatching passes that aren't dead on and is an excellent route runner who could flourish in Gilbride's system. He needs to put effort in the weight room though to become a better blocker so that he is more versatile. Probably a good idea to sign someone like Shiancoe, Carlson, or Dreessen while Green develops.

#128 - Nate Potter, LT, Boise State - A bit raw as a pass protector, he has the agility and speed that one covets in a LT though. Needs to work on his footwork and bend but he has good pulling and trapping skills. Also like the fact he enjoyed playing at Guard temporary because it made him more physical.

#160 - Malik Jackson, DE, Tennessee - Seems like a good fit for the Giants due to his long arms, explosion, and versatility along the defensive line. Plays inconsistently at times with pad level issues and also relies too much on his upper body strength. Could potentially become Tuck's successor.

#192 - Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State - A power back who can grab the tough yards, he's a physical, downhill runner who also has soft hands out of the backfield. Needs to work on his pass blocking but he could become a good part of a 1-2 punch with Scott in the future.

#224 - Donnie Fletcher, CB/S, BC - A textbook Giants defensive back prospect, Fletcher is a taller CB at 6 foot 1 who loves to help in run support and is a reliable tackler. Shows great instincts for zone coverage. Only has average speed and might end up becoming a Safety instead but could still fit in Fewell's three Safety sets.

Our 1st rounder will probably end up being whoever the BPA is and another possibility could be Fletcher Cox. Reese could also go with a defensive back in the 1st and get a defensive linemen later on since it's a deep class.

I was torn between Massie and Silatolu in the 2nd since the latter offers potential versatility along the line but I think we really can't risk letting the tackle position go down the drain like we did this season.

Also wanted to include my favorite Doug Martin but we tend to not draft RB's early so unless he falls to us at #96, I don't think it will happen. Left out LBers because I think Reese likes the young guys he has at the moment and wants to see how they develop with an offseason.

Bench Player

Re: Enigma's Mock 2.0 (No trades)

2012 New York Giants Draft
    Letís review each of the positions that may need upgrading or complete reform.
    QB
    Eli Manning is our starter and Iím sure everyone is in agreement that he is the prime of his career. Coming off a 2nd super bowl MVP, he is a player that we do not need to worry about. The backup qb position will go to a serviceable individual by the name of David Carr. God forbid something happen to our #1, he could step in and manage the offense in a similar showing of Dave Hostetler. The third qb position is where it gets hazy.
    Prediction: Look for the front office to draft or sign an undrafted player to compete in the off season.
    RB
    While I think the Giants will pick the best player available in the first round, I doubt that the pick will be a running back. Even if, lets say, Trent Richardson or Lamar Miller were to fall, I doubt the Giants would be inclined to choose either of them. Sorry, Giants fans but Jerry Reese has proven that he can find value in players towards the end of the draft especially in the 7th round. Ahmad Bradshaw is our obvious #1 with Jacobs, if he decides to restructure his contract, being the #2 and Danny Ware as were #3. I would love to see what our 7th round pick from last yearís draft, DaíRel Scott, has to offer but not at the expense of Jacobs. Our running game struggled last year but the running backs are hardly to blame. Leading us to our next position, offensive line.
    Prediction: If Jacobs, leaves we look to free agency or the draft to find either a veteran player for low-cost high reward or later rounds to draft a ďbig backĒ. If he stays, we sign an undrafted free agent to compete in training camp.
    OL
    Rather than dissect this group one by one, I would rather think of them as a whole. The Giants coaching staff has a lot of faith in Will Beatty. They will ride him until he becomes unserviceable. The offensive line coach, Pat Flarhtey has shown that he can make the best of any situation. I honestly believe that the Giants run and pass game was at the best when they had Mitch at LG and Kevin Boothe at C. They can obviously use depth and a new RT but I think overall the Giants donít see OL as a position of need. And letís be honest, when was the last time the Giants took an OL in the first round?
    Prediction: The only scenario I can think of where the Giants take an offensive lineman would be to draft a LT, play him at RT for a year or 2 and go on from there. Look for them to address the OL in the middle of the draft with a player they can develop.
    TE
    I know everyone is predicting that the Giants will take a TE in the first round of the draft. And everyone is unsure about the health of Travis Beckum and Jake Ballard, but TE is not an area that needs to be addressed in the first round. Which TE in this draft is a no brainer #1? There are 3-5 guys that have the potential to be good TEs. The Giants front office has done an amazing job finding TEs later in the draft and developing them into serviceable members. Bear Pascoe is a decent TE with good hands and good blocking ability. Jake Ballard will rehab and he able to bring himself back a few games into the season. While I do see this as a position of need I think that the Giants might wait until the 2nd or 3rd rounds to address the TE position.
    Prediction: If the Giants were to get a TE I would like to see them draft Coby Fleener from Stanford, worked in a pro style offense in college, good hands, big 6Ē6, works great in space.
    WR
    When Eli Manning is throwing you the ball I donít think that you have a lot to worry about. With that being said, we have great receivers in Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz that can get open and catch the ball. Both run great routes and require double teams and most importantly have chemistry and the trust of Eli. Now, this position is not one of need due to the fact that Manningham may in fact come back (doubt it). They also have reserve WRs that they have high hopes for. Jerrel Jernigan, Ramses Barden, Devin Thomas, and not to mention the man that was supposed to be the potentional #2 or #3, Dominic Hixon.
    Prediction: If a breakout WR falls to #32, Alshon Jeffrey cough cough, they pick him, otherwise look for the Giants to possibly go without a WR in this yearís draft.
    LB
    ďExpertsĒ have been saying that the Giants need to have a middle linebacker. Not so. The Giants have a stub linebacker in Goff with potential studs in Greg Jones and Mark Herzlich. They have done a good job of building this position threw the draft. I do think that they should keep a veteran on board to compete with those players. Someone like Chase Blackburn or even Tofa Tatupo. Williams did a great job filling in at the outside and middle positions and the experience as a rookie will only benefit him in the long run. Michael boley has been the heart of the linebacking corp and is a solid player. I would like the Giants to find someone to replace Kiwanuka and allow him to get back to dominating position as a DE but I also understand that he is coming along as a linebacker.
    Prediction: Giants are comfortable where their group is at. They possibly get a steal in the 3rd or 4th round with a troublesome guy like Vontaze Burflict but ultimately pick up a veteran in the off season to anchor the group.
    DL
    While we all know the Giants have a belief of ďyou can never have too many pass rushersĒ I think that this is the only position that has to be addressed within the first 2 rounds of the draft. The Giants need to upgrade and place some depth at the DT position. I like what the line has become but I also am a realist and I know that there age is going to become a factor. Rather than wait until its too late, they need help now. But I did not forgot that they drafted Marvin Austin last year in the 2nd round and he was placed on IR before the first game. He will come back this year with a chip on his shoulder and will challenge some veterans for the starting spot.
    Prediction: I donít think the Giants will forget about this position early in the draft. Look for them to pick up a DT in the 1st or 2nd round.
    CB
    This is a position that I donít believe needs to be addressed in the draft but definitely through free agency. The Giants are going to lose a CB most likely being Aaron Ross. They have back ups that can come in and help out but they need someone that can stay healthy and productive, sounds like an oxy moron for the G-Men. Webster will be solid but thatís where it ends. No one is sure how Terrell Thomas will look after his injury. Prince has not shown any signs of being the #2 CB. And behind that the Giants have depth but no real star quality CBs. I think that this is a position that would benefit from a veteran presense just like when Sam Madison and RW McQuarters came to the Big Apple.
    Prediction: The Giants might find a player in the mid-late rounds that they like and decide to develop or they might have fallen in love with a player at the combine. Ultimately I think the Giants wait to address this position.
    S
    Now hereís where it gets interesting. The Giants have a versatitle safety group. Antrel Rolle and Kenny Phillips are solid safeties that can play deep and play the run but after that where are they? They have Deon Grant, Iím sure most Giants fans would rather not, and Tyler Sash. Sash is a great special teams player but I donít think he will be challenging either of the starting safeties for their spots. This is a position that the Giants need to find depth for and fast. Chad Jones looks to be in training camp this offseason but does anyone think that he will be able to contribute this season?
    Prediction: Iím hoping the Giants draft someone in the 3rd or 4th round that will make a difference.
    ST
    The special teams good looks the best that it did since Ö.. ever! Weatherford was the best possible replacement of Matt Dodge anyone could have asked for. Hell, if we had Weatherford last year maybe DeSean Jackson doesnít return that punt and the Giants win the Super Bowl a year earlier. The Giants have done a wonderful job placing rookies in the right positions and having guys that want to contribute.
    Prediction: The Giants do what they do best. Play hard and find players that want to be there.

[quote user="TheEnigma"]#32 - Devon Still, DT, Penn State - You might possibly be thinking that there's no chance that Still will be around at this pick but I don't think that's the case. There's a real chance that after Tannehill, another team that sort of has QB problems (Seahawks, Jets, Dolphins) could reach for a QB to be safe so they acquire their guy. You also have to consider that the two defensive tackles Poe and Brockers have seen their stock rise recently and that it could make teams "forget" about Still and push him down to us.

Still can take up two blockers and still apply pressure on the QB in passing situations. Excellent at pursuing RB's but has inconsistency in keeping his pads low but this can be coached. Also has fatigue issues but I think he would fit in greatly with our line rotation. Probably could add a little more weight. With Austin as an uncertainty and Bernard aging, this would be a wise pick in the event of an injury happening to Canty or Joseph. If he develops well, he could also offer as a replacement when Canty hits FA or if we ever need to escape his contract.

#64 - Bobby Massie, RT, Ole Miss - Probably one of the best run blockers in this draft, Massie has an ideal frame for the right tackle position and could help the Giants running game return to form. He's also very good against speed rushers as well and can play effectively at the second level. The only knack against him would be being able to get by solely on his physical abilities and will probably need to work on technique a bit more at the NFL level. We have Brewer but we should give him good competition for the starting job and depth is sorely needed as well.

#96 - Ladarius Green, TE, Lafayette - Almost a complete prospect in terms of receiving, he offers great hands for snatching passes that aren't dead on and is an excellent route runner who could flourish in Gilbride's system. He needs to put effort in the weight room though to become a better blocker so that he is more versatile. Probably a good idea to sign someone like Shiancoe, Carlson, or Dreessen while Green develops.

#128 - Nate Potter, LT, Boise State - A bit raw as a pass protector, he has the agility and speed that one covets in a LT though. Needs to work on his footwork and bend but he has good pulling and trapping skills. Also like the fact he enjoyed playing at Guard temporary because it made him more physical.

#160 - Malik Jackson, DE, Tennessee - Seems like a good fit for the Giants due to his long arms, explosion, and versatility along the defensive line. Plays inconsistently at times with pad level issues and also relies too much on his upper body strength. Could potentially become Tuck's successor.

#192 - Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State - A power back who can grab the tough yards, he's a physical, downhill runner who also has soft hands out of the backfield. Needs to work on his pass blocking but he could become a good part of a 1-2 punch with Scott in the future.

#224 - Donnie Fletcher, CB/S, BC - A textbook Giants defensive back prospect, Fletcher is a taller CB at 6 foot 1 who loves to help in run support and is a reliable tackler. Shows great instincts for zone coverage. Only has average speed and might end up becoming a Safety instead but could still fit in Fewell's three Safety sets.

Our 1st rounder will probably end up being whoever the BPA is and another possibility could be Fletcher Cox. Reese could also go with a defensive back in the 1st and get a defensive linemen later on since it's a deep class.

I was torn between Massie and Silatolu in the 2nd since the latter offers potential versatility along the line but I think we really can't risk letting the tackle position go down the drain like we did this season.

Also wanted to include my favorite Doug Martin but we tend to not draft RB's early so unless he falls to us at #96, I don't think it will happen. Left out LBers because I think Reese likes the young guys he has at the moment and wants to see how they develop with an offseason.[/quote] love it. Great draft man I'd be super happy with that draft.

I love it. They're all favorite prospects of mine.

I like this mock a lot as well [b]

P.S. - Might want an alternative pick with our first though because while Stills MAY fall to us, the odds are he doesn't and Fletcher Cox is rated higher then Stills.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"]I like this mock a lot as well [b]

P.S. - Might want an alternative pick with our first though because while Stills MAY fall to us, the odds are he doesn't and Fletcher Cox is rated higher then Stills.[/quote]Fair point.

What do you guys think of Stephon Gilmore at 32 then?

Passes the usual 6 foot requirement, great in the run game and good tackler, and shows excellent instincts. Only knack would be not having elite speed.

[quote user="TheEnigma"][quote user="Kruunch"]I like this mock a lot as well [b]

P.S. - Might want an alternative pick with our first though because while Stills MAY fall to us, the odds are he doesn't and Fletcher Cox is rated higher then Stills.[/quote]Fair point.

What do you guys think of Stephon Gilmore at 32 then?

Passes the usual 6 foot requirement, great in the run game and good tackler, and shows excellent instincts. Only knack would be not having elite speed.[/quote]

I could get behind Stephen Gilmore as a first pick.

P.S. - He ran a 4.40 40 at the combine ... he seems to have a slight issue changing gears which would be my only concern in a zone scheme (which he plays mostly).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)