+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Victor Cruz: Was he our #1, #2, or #3 receiver last year?

Its a debate from THEE thread...

I say Cruz was our #2 with understanding the arguments for #1

Daven says Cruz was #3, here is his debate:

"Win at what being wrong? everyone knows that Cruz was the #3 for most of the year last year...

are you really that dumb to think that just because he put up numbers that makes him the #2?

the
    X vs Y vs Z position (which is what we are talking about when you say
    #1/2/3) is determined more by the receivers physical abilities more so
    then the actual production you get."

------

EDIT: And another thing: Who do you think had more plays played for us
    this year CRUZ or Mario. Who do u think had more snaps. Or rather Snaps
    per game average since Mario was hurt for a little bit (just to be fair)
    ---------

What do you guys say?
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

Veteran

Re: Victor Cruz: Was he our #1, #2, or #3 receiver last year?

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]Its a debate from THEE thread...

"Win at what being wrong? everyone knows that Cruz was the #3 for most of the year last year...

are you really that dumb to think that just because he put up numbers that makes him the #2?

the

------

What do you guys say?
    [/quote]

Interestingly enough, I can see him being x, y, or z. He has a very unique skill set. He can run the deep route, beat double coverage, and has big play capability. He has good hands and body control and fits as a nice possession receiver and in the slot, he's not afraid to go across the middle, acts as a good safety net when he isn't the first look. I think that's why the Giants moved him around so much throughout the season.

I think 1, 2, or 3 is more of an informal way to label who our best receiver is. Who's the most consistent and high-performing at any given time.

It's true that for the first third of the season, #80 was really only playing because other guys got injured.

But I think the relevant question isn't "Who was our #1 all last year?"
    but rather, "Who IS our #1 right now?" (that is, who FINISHED the season #1)

I think that although Nicks made Cruz better (and vice versa), Eli had tons of confidence in Cruz toward the end, and especially during the playoffs.

Cruz = #1 (At this moment in time)
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

[quote user="NYGinIN"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"]Its a debate from THEE thread...

the

------

What do you guys say?
    [/quote]

Interestingly enough, I can see him being x, y, or z. He has a very unique skill set. He can run the deep route, beat double coverage, and has big play capability. He has good hands and body control and fits as a nice possession receiver and in the slot, he's not afraid to go across the middle, acts as a good safety net when he isn't the first look. I think that's why the Giants moved him around so much throughout the season.[/quote]

im not trying to sway your argument, im just curious

so you attribute X-Y-Z as who the #1, #2, and #3 WRs are at all times?

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]Its a debate from THEE thread...

the

------

What do you guys say?
    [/quote]Well when the Giants ran 2 wr sets it was mostly Nicks and Cruz. Just because Cruz played the slot a lot doesnt mean hes number 3.

[quote user="dezzzR"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"]Its a debate from THEE thread...

the

------

What do you guys say?
    [/quote]Well when the Giants ran 2 wr sets it was mostly Nicks and Cruz. Just because Cruz played the slot a lot doesnt mean hes number 3.
    [/quote]

well daven is disputing that, he said 2 WR sets were mostly Mario and Nicks

[quote user="RagTime Blue"]I think 1, 2, or 3 is more of an informal way to label who our best receiver is.* Who's the most consistent and high-performing at any given time.

It's true that for the first third of the season, #80 was really only playing because other guys got injured.*

But I think the relevant question isn't "Who was our #1 all last year?"
    *** but rather, "Who IS our #1 right now?"* (that is, who FINISHED the season #1)

I think that although Nicks made Cruz better (and vice versa), Eli had tons of confidence in Cruz toward the end, and especially during the playoffs.

Cruz =* #1****** (At this moment in time)
    [/quote]

Your argument suggest Nicks should be our #1 then since he had the most receiving yards and tied for most TD receptions this post-season.

I felt Nicks has been our #1 all season though

Edit- and for this argument, I look at who is getting targeted more. According to espn stats, Nicks and Cruz were targeted about 130 times each, both having around 80+ catches, while manningham was targeted only 70+ times with 38 receptions.

[link]http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYards/qualified/false[/link]
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

I don't think you can say if a guy is a 1-2-3 based on where he lines up in the formation. Take Smith when he was still here. He was definitely our 1 or 2, but lined up in the slot in most 3-wide situations, very much like Cruz. X-Y-Z is just where you line up, not your position on the depth chart.

I'd say Nicks is our 1, Cruz our 2 (despite that he lines up in the slot frequently), and MM our 3 (despite he frequently lines up on the outside). I think the snap counts will bear that out (after adjusting for injury).

EDIT: And another thing: Who do you think had more plays played for us this year CRUZ or Mario. Who do u think had more snaps. Or rather Snaps per game average since Mario was hurt for a little bit (just to be fair)

All-Pro

all of the above