+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WR Usain Bolt

Hybrid View

Veteran

WR Usain Bolt

OK it's the offseason and I'm bored.

Obviously this isn't happening and I doubt he even has any interest, but I could see Bolt having the physical tools to be an elite WR. His 40 is estimated at sub-4 seconds. He's listed at 6'5" 207 lbs, ideally he could bulk up 15-20 lbs to a megatron-like physique so he could muscle up with DBs. The added weight would probably slow him down to ohhh let's say still by far the fastest human to ever play football.

If he just figured out a few minor details like catching the ball he would have the potential to be one of the greatest deep threats ever.

Re: WR Usain Bolt

[quote user="jhamburg"]OK it's the offseason and I'm bored.

Obviously this isn't happening and I doubt he even has any interest, but I could see Bolt having the physical tools to be an elite WR. His 40 is estimated at sub-4 seconds. He's listed at 6'5" 207 lbs, ideally he could bulk up 15-20 lbs to a megatron-like physique so he could muscle up with DBs. The added weight would probably slow him down to ohhh let's say still by far the fastest human to ever play football.

If he just figured out a few minor details like catching the ball he would have the potential to be one of the greatest deep threats ever.[/quote]

I doubt he would be physical though. The sprinter thing was tried in the 80's, and they found out that none of them could catch nor match the physicality of the corners. They also were poor route runners.

Veteran

Straight line speed doesn't mean much if you can't catch and don't understand the game.

I don't think it'd work. Like TNYG said, it's been tried before. There was a sprinter who ran a reported 3.9, but the dude couldn't catch a cold.

He's either going to get jammed at the line all day or he gets a 20 yard cushion on coverage off the snap.

What's his vertical?
    Can he catch?
    Can he take hits?
    Can he hold onto the ball?
    Can he block?

There's more to the WR position than just pure blazing speed although that's a very good asset to have.

Don't get me wrong, olympic sprinters can have some success in the NFL.
    Most recent name that comes to mind is James Jett.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Jett

Veteran

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]He's either going to get jammed at the line all day or he gets a 20 yard cushion on coverage off the snap.

What's his vertical?
    Can he catch?
    Can he take hits?
    Can he block?

There's more to the WR position than just pure blazing speed although that's a very good asset to have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Jett[/quote]

Sure, you're absolutely right and we'll never have answers to their questions I'm sure.

But he's not just another sprinter, he's the fastest of all time and has ideal height for a receiver. He's skinny to be in the NFL right now and his frame is smaller than you'd probably want, but I think he could put on the pounds to be able to match up physically.

As far as his vertical, I'd be a bit shocked if it wasn't in line with the top WR prospects.

Renaldo Nehemiah

[quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]He's either going to get jammed at the line all day or he gets a 20 yard cushion on coverage off the snap.

What's his vertical?
    Can he catch?
    Can he take hits?
    Can he block?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Jett[/quote]

Sure, you're absolutely right and we'll never have answers to their questions I'm sure.

But he's not just another sprinter, he's the fastest of all time and has ideal height for a receiver. He's skinny to be in the NFL right now and his frame is smaller than you'd probably want, but I think he could put on the pounds to be able to match up physically.

As far as his vertical, I'd be a bit shocked if it wasn't in line with the top WR prospects.[/quote]
    he'd get destroyed. He's probably never played contact sports in his life.

Bench Player

In the 1960's Dallas has Bob Ha

Bench Player

Oops/ Cowboys had Bob Hayes, the Giants had a defensive back who was a track star and I think he was also in the olympics Henry Carr