+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

America's Game: The Missing Rings...

Anyone elso like this show?One of my favorite sports shows. It's on the NFL Network, but you can watch the episodes on youtube alos. I love the analysis and stories from the players & coaches of teams who were good enough to win it all, but fell short. They haven't done any new episodes in sometime now.

I would love to see:

1967 LA Rams-Finished 11-1-2 and had beaten Green Bay & Dallas that year(both teams played in the NFL Championship that year). but wound up losing in the 2nd round and not going to Super Bowl II.

1980 Eagles. Finished 12-4 and were favored to win Super Bowl XV, but lost to the Raiders.

1987 Browns. Won the AFC Central for the 2nd straight year. Poor Earnest Byner. If the Brown had gotten past the Broncos like they should have I think they would have had a great shot vs. the Redskins in the Super Bowl

1991 Detroit Lions. That team was all heart! Finished 12-4 that year Won their division, but lost to the Redskins in the NFC Championship. They would have beaten Buffalo in the Super Bowl IMO.

2005 Seahawks. Finished the year 13-3 and won the NFC rather easily. But lost to the Steelers in Super Bowl XL thanks to a lot of shotty officiating.

Which other teams would you like to see?

Veteran

Re: America's Game: The Missing Rings...

1990 Eagles -- Dominating defense...One of the best defensive teams I have ever seen. Jerome Brown, Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner, Byron Evans, Wes Hopkins, Andre Waters, Eric Allen...what a team

The 2002 Rams come to mind. They were a sure bet in my mind that day.
    The 2000 Titans were 1 yard away, so I have to put then in the list.
    the 2009 Minnesota Vikings, and Favre's hilarious interception...
    the 2003 Indianapolis Colts, Eli's big brother shocking after having a crazy-amazing regular season.
    the 1987 Cleveland Browns, and the fumble heard around the world.
    the 1986 Cleveland Browns, running into Elway's late game magic.
    the 1983 San Francisco 49ers, as that lost set up one of the greatest dynasties ever.
    the 1982 Dallas Cowboys, for it being the swansong to a great era for that franchise.
    the 1974 L.A. Rams, not being able to deal with the Viking defense.
    the 1968 Oakland Raiders, for setting up one of the Namath Super Bowl with their loss.
    the 1967 Dallas Cowboys, for loosing the ice-bowl.

Veteran

They generally make an episode for one team...for one year...unless heartbreak occurred years apart ('69 Vikings, '98 Vikings).

Give me an episode of the following:

* Browns team from the late 80s
    * Eagles team from early 90s (Cunningham era)
    * Eagles team from 00s (McNabb era)
    * San Diego Chargers from 00s
    * Vikings from 2009
    * Ravens from 2011
    * Patriots from 2011

The show is about franchise's who have never won a super bowl in their history, but have had really good team that came close, but fell short. So unfortunately teams like the Raiders, Cowboys, Colts, Patriots and Ravens would be out.

Veteran

I'm under the assumption that the 'Missing Rings' show was devoted to teams (not franchises) who were great but did not win a Super Bowl.

The 2007 Patriots should be in there regardless of whether it's about specific teams not winning, or a franchise

The 2008 Giants. If Plax didn't shoot himself and took a big chunk of the passing game away from the team, the team might have repeated with only 1 loss before the incident late in the season and having beaten both Superbowl contenders at their home stadiums.

Bench Player

1980 Cleveland Browns - Best team that year. Cardiac Kids
    2002 Giants - Trey! We were the hottest team that Year. Tampa was really good tho

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]The 2008 Giants. If Plax didn't shoot himself and took a big chunk of the passing game away from the team, the team might have repeated with only 1 loss before the incident late in the season and having beaten both Superbowl contenders at their home stadiums.[/quote]

I think they still might've lost to Philly and Dallas because Plax was going to be out for a bit with a hamstring injury, but he would've been back for the playoffs.