+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Salary cap. How come we're always tight?

How come the Giants always seem to be against the cap? I don't get into the financial aspect of football, but I'm curious because we never seem to have much room.

Teams like the Skins seem to spend an absurd amount of money every offseason, yet have the money to do so again the following season. What are they doing that the Giants aren't?

Any insight is appreciated.

Bench Player

Re: Salary cap. How come we're always tight?

winning thats the difference .
    I think that the reason is no matter what they signed people for the Redskins could always cut them . So while the Giants pay their players and keep them because they play well the redskins could pay someone and find out that play isnt great and have to cut them the next year .
    PS give me a superbowl and a tight salary cap any time

Skins finally have room because they cleared out the overpaid guys last season and havent signed anyone.

TWO Super Bowl championships in 4 years.......the fellas want to GET PAID!!!!!!!!!

Takes money to keep talent. Not to mention, we're equipped at some of the more expensive positions. Individually, each pass rusher is a bargain, but collectively, pricey to maintain the strength of the team.

[quote user="bLuereverie"]Takes money to keep talent. Not to mention, we're equipped at some of the more expensive positions. Individually, each pass rusher is a bargain, but collectively, pricey to maintain the strength of the team.[/quote]

well stated.

also, i believe it has to do with how snyder guarantees so much money through signing bonuses. so when they sign a guy like haynesworth to 100 mil, they give him a signing bonus of 40 mil or something. if i'm not mistaken, signing bonuses don't count against the cap the same way as guaranteed contracts do, but I dont know enough about it to explain it very well.

and like others mentioned, we field a SB caliber team year in year out. When their was no cap, Reese went all in to get us the best team possible, so when the cap was reintroduced, it set us back in terms of cap room.

Complete speculation obviously but I do tend to think that the Giants will overspend just a tad on resigning quality players after winning Superbowls to keep the roster intact and as a sign of "hey, good job."

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="bLuereverie"]Takes money to keep talent. Not to mention, we're equipped at some of the more expensive positions. Individually, each pass rusher is a bargain, but collectively, pricey to maintain the strength of the team.[/quote] well stated. also, i believe it has to do with how snyder guarantees so much money through signing bonuses. so when they sign a guy like haynesworth to 100 mil, they give him a signing bonus of 40 mil or something. if i'm not mistaken, signing bonuses don't count against the cap the same way as guaranteed contracts do, but I dont know enough about it to explain it very well. and like others mentioned, we field a SB caliber team year in year out. When their was no cap, Reese went all in to get us the best team possible, so when the cap was reintroduced, it set us back in terms of cap room.[/quote]

The signing bonuses are the guaranteed part of the contracts. Can't remember exactly how they were distributed under the old CBA (e.g. if you were able to spread it out unevenly over the contract or not).

Most likely because the Giants have lots of good players.

Signing bonuses are prorated over a course of the contract. In the event a player is cut, the remaining unpaid signing bonuses of future years gets added into one hit for the current year.

Roster bonuses have more flexibility, and can avoid being paid if a player is cut before the deadline.

Guaranteed money eventually finds their way to the cap number. The advantage of them is teams can be creative as to when they actually do. Can be incredibly risky if a team is too generous in them.

There are additional bonuses/incentives that do not count toward the cap, but teams are given a max as to how much they can dish out. [I believe this year's max is around 3mil]