Thread: Nick Perry (DE) USC

Re: Nick Perry (DE) USC

That's the problem -- he's a lot like Osi heheh

I think he'll be a good pro though

This guy says Perry goes "top to middle of the 2nd round"-

USC pro day report

Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that he had limited athleticism. That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that he had limited athleticism.* That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.[/quote]

He's tight and stiff in the hips. But hes a good football athlete required for his current position (DE) as he's quick, flexible and explosive off the edge. He just isn't fluid as a linebacker. But, as his combine proves, hes certainly a good athlete in his own right

But I don't see the giants drafting him though

I think he is very good, one of the best 43 DE's in this draft I would definitely be happy if we take him at 32. He gets good pressure almost every down. I watched his tape against Washington where he was going up against Kelemete (who is an NFL caliber player and will be drafted even if its to play at G instead of LT) and Perry was getting consistent pressure within 3 seconds of the snaps

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that he had limited athleticism. That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.[/quote]Nick Perry is a freakish athlete & I think most others would agree. I don't remember Mayock saying any of this. At the combine he ran a 4.64 40, 10"4 broad jump, 35 reps on the bench (225 lbs), and damn near jumped out the building w/ his vertical (38.5). I'd say that qualifies as pretty athletic for a 6"3, 271 lb DE. I see him as a 43 DE, but some scouts say his pure athleticism gives him a shot at being a 3-4 outside linebacker. This guy is the real deal IMO-

No thanks....

More pressing needs

[quote user="Captain Chaos"]No thanks....

More pressing needs[/quote]Yea, there are more pressing needs, but it all depends what the board looks like when pick 32 comes around. You don't want to go reach for an OT, RB, TE, or even LB. I actually think a really good CB may be available around pick 32. It's all about BPA, that's how Reese & Co. roll and I don't expect any different this draft.

Veteran

[quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that he had limited athleticism. That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.[/quote]Nick Perry is a freakish athlete & I think most others would agree. I don't remember Mayock saying any of this. At the combine he ran a 4.64 40, 10"4 broad jump, 35 reps on the bench (225 lbs), and damn near jumped out the building w/ his vertical (38.5). I'd say that qualifies as pretty athletic for a 6"3, 271 lb DE. I see him as a 43 DE, but some scouts say his pure athleticism gives him a shot at being a 3-4 outside linebacker. This guy is the real deal IMO-
    [/quote]

Personally, I don't see OLB at all. To my eye he just doesn't have the hips to drop in coverage like a 34 OLB has to do.

On the flip side, I see nothing BUT a 34 OLB in Andre Branch. IMO, he's more than got the fluidity for it, but he's too narrow to put his hand in the dirt more than once in a blue moon.

Mercilus is right in between. He's got the fluidity to drop into coverage some, but stout enough to put his hand in the dirt and throw down at the LOS.

[quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that he had limited athleticism. That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.[/quote]Nick Perry is a freakish athlete & I think most others would agree. I don't remember Mayock saying any of this. At the combine he ran a 4.64 40, 10"4 broad jump, 35 reps on the bench (225 lbs), and damn near jumped out the building w/ his vertical (38.5). I'd say that qualifies as pretty athletic for a 6"3, 271 lb DE. I see him as a 43 DE, but some scouts say his pure athleticism gives him a shot at being a 3-4 outside linebacker. This guy is the real deal IMO-
    [/quote]

Personally, I don't see OLB at all. To my eye he just doesn't have the hips to drop in coverage like a 34 OLB has to do.

On the flip side, I see nothing BUT a 34 OLB in Andre Branch. IMO, he's more than got the fluidity for it, but he's too narrow to put his hand in the dirt more than once in a blue moon.

Mercilus is right in between. He's got the fluidity to drop into coverage some, but stout enough to put his hand in the dirt and throw down at the LOS.
    [/quote]Yeah, I don't see Perry as an OLB in the NFL, strictly 43 DE IMO. Branch & Mercilus might have better luck playing OLB in a 34. What about Ingram or Curry, where do you see them playing at the next level?

+ Reply to Thread