+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran

Re: Nick Perry (DE) USC

[quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that he had limited athleticism. That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.[/quote]Nick Perry is a freakish athlete & I think most others would agree. I don't remember Mayock saying any of this. At the combine he ran a 4.64 40, 10"4 broad jump, 35 reps on the bench (225 lbs), and damn near jumped out the building w/ his vertical (38.5). I'd say that qualifies as pretty athletic for a 6"3, 271 lb DE. I see him as a 43 DE, but some scouts say his pure athleticism gives him a shot at being a 3-4 outside linebacker. This guy is the real deal IMO-
    [/quote]

Personally, I don't see OLB at all. To my eye he just doesn't have the hips to drop in coverage like a 34 OLB has to do.

On the flip side, I see nothing BUT a 34 OLB in Andre Branch. IMO, he's more than got the fluidity for it, but he's too narrow to put his hand in the dirt more than once in a blue moon.

Mercilus is right in between. He's got the fluidity to drop into coverage some, but stout enough to put his hand in the dirt and throw down at the LOS.
    [/quote]Yeah, I don't see Perry as an OLB in the NFL, strictly 43 DE IMO. Branch & Mercilus might have better luck playing OLB in a 34. What about Ingram or Curry, where do you see them playing at the next level?
    [/quote]

Ingram reminds me a lot of Tuck, and he could probably move all over the place in the right defense... but I think his arm length (or lack thereof) would make LB his primary position. He might have problems against some of the top-level tackles (getting off blocks, using his hands, that sort of thing) in the trenches.

I haven't watched enough Curry as I'd like... but I that he either starts out as a situational passrusher at either DE or OLB. Kinda like how the 9'ers used Aldon Smith.

Edit: By the by, if they want a later round DE, I really like Tyrone Crawford (DE-Boise St.). Similar mold to JPP (not the same level of freakish athleticism): Good athlete, long arms, strong, fast, non-stop motor, but VERY raw.

[quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that he had limited athleticism. That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.[/quote]Nick Perry is a freakish athlete & I think most others would agree. I don't remember Mayock saying any of this. At the combine he ran a 4.64 40, 10"4 broad jump, 35 reps on the bench (225 lbs), and damn near jumped out the building w/ his vertical (38.5). I'd say that qualifies as pretty athletic for a 6"3, 271 lb DE. I see him as a 43 DE, but some scouts say his pure athleticism gives him a shot at being a 3-4 outside linebacker. This guy is the real deal IMO-
    [/quote]

Personally, I don't see OLB at all. To my eye he just doesn't have the hips to drop in coverage like a 34 OLB has to do.

On the flip side, I see nothing BUT a 34 OLB in Andre Branch. IMO, he's more than got the fluidity for it, but he's too narrow to put his hand in the dirt more than once in a blue moon.

Mercilus is right in between. He's got the fluidity to drop into coverage some, but stout enough to put his hand in the dirt and throw down at the LOS.
    [/quote]Yeah, I don't see Perry as an OLB in the NFL, strictly 43 DE IMO. Branch & Mercilus might have better luck playing OLB in a 34. What about Ingram or Curry, where do you see them playing at the next level?
    [/quote]

Ingram reminds me a lot of Tuck, and he could probably move all over the place in the right defense... but I think his arm length (or lack thereof) would make LB his primary position. He might have problems against some of the top-level tackles (getting off blocks, using his hands, that sort of thing) in the trenches.

I haven't watched enough Curry as I'd like... but I that he either starts out as a situational passrusher at either DE or OLB. Kinda like how the 9'ers used Aldon Smith.

Edit: By the by, if they want a later round DE, I really like Tyrone Crawford (DE-Boise St.). Similar mold to JPP (not the same level of freakish athleticism): Good athlete, long arms, strong, fast, non-stop motor, but VERY raw.
    [/quote]

Crawford looks like he could turn out to be a very good player. He has an 80'' wingspan JPPs is 81 and Crawford is also an inch shorter so that's impressive. If he gives the effort JPP gives every down and in training he could turn out to be a great player.

[quote user="michaelkhan3"][quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that he had limited athleticism. That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.[/quote]Nick Perry is a freakish athlete & I think most others would agree. I don't remember Mayock saying any of this. At the combine he ran a 4.64 40, 10"4 broad jump, 35 reps on the bench (225 lbs), and damn near jumped out the building w/ his vertical (38.5). I'd say that qualifies as pretty athletic for a 6"3, 271 lb DE. I see him as a 43 DE, but some scouts say his pure athleticism gives him a shot at being a 3-4 outside linebacker. This guy is the real deal IMO-
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Crawford looks like he could turn out to be a very good player. He has an 80'' wingspan JPPs is 81 and Crawford is also an inch shorter so that's impressive. If he gives the effort JPP gives every down and in training he could turn out to be a great player.
    [/quote] I remember when i first started noticing crawford, i wondered why he was perdicted to go in like RD 6 or 7, with his production and size, and then eventually he started gaining some steam, and now is a RD 4-5 type guy, which still may be a bit further down then he deserves.. I think hes a Justin Tuck type DE, who would be perfect opposite JPP down the line... Hes got a non stop motor, unlimited strength, and very good explosion... He dosent have a ton of Expierence, but in a rotation, i'm sure he could help fairly early on....

Out of the really long armed pass rushers, I like Crawford much better than Chandler Jones, who I think might bust in the nfl. Once you coach crawford out on technique and combine that with his amazing motor and talents.. watch out

Veteran

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="michaelkhan3"][quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that he had limited athleticism. That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.[/quote]Nick Perry is a freakish athlete & I think most others would agree. I don't remember Mayock saying any of this. At the combine he ran a 4.64 40, 10"4 broad jump, 35 reps on the bench (225 lbs), and damn near jumped out the building w/ his vertical (38.5). I'd say that qualifies as pretty athletic for a 6"3, 271 lb DE. I see him as a 43 DE, but some scouts say his pure athleticism gives him a shot at being a 3-4 outside linebacker. This guy is the real deal IMO-
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] I remember when i first started noticing crawford, i wondered why he was perdicted to go in like RD 6 or 7, with his production and size, and then eventually he started gaining some steam, and now is a RD 4-5 type guy, which still may be a bit further down then he deserves.. I think hes a Justin Tuck type DE, who would be perfect opposite JPP down the line... Hes got a non stop motor, unlimited strength, and very good explosion... He dosent have a ton of Expierence, but in a rotation, i'm sure he could help fairly early on....[/quote]

He definitely deserves to go higher than ~4, but I can see why scouts/GM's/Gurus would under-value him.:1) He's from Canadia, 2) only 1 year experience, 3) He 1 year experience at Boise St.

Three big knocks on him... Undeserved, but still there. If we could grab him in the 4th... HOLY CARP STEAL!

Just more ammo for everyone who thinks the Giants are lucky []