+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TE or BPA at 32?

Re: TE or BPA at 32?

I am sure it will be BPA.

[quote user="DaveBrown"]Most mock drafts have Reese taking one of the 3 TE's - what's the consensus out there? Best player available or drafting a position of need this year?[/quote]

Really depends who falls to us and how we have them rated.

There are about 15-20 locks in the first round this year and then it's a big free for all.

Poor draft class from a first round talent point of view ..... very rich further down (hopefully).

I'd guess TE or OT in the first.
    I have met you. You dont even look good in a winter coat let alone a wet t-shirt... -GameTime

All-Pro

I think Reese only picks a TE at 32 if he believes he is worth it and not because they lost a couple TE's due to injury.

He didn't panic last year when Boss left and I don't see him doing so this year. I could see him grabbing a lower priced FA and a late round draft pick.

If there was a CB, Safety, LB, OL, DT or even a DE rated higher than one of those TE's I believe he will draft one of them.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Morehead State"]

I would be shocked if we took a TE with our first round pick to play in an offense that doesn't use the TE much.* Makes no sense at all.</P>[/quote]

Doesnt use a TE much? Theyve been forcing UDFA and 5th rounders into 600 yard 5+ TD guys. To me thats an awful lot of use conidering the talent they have at the position has been pretty poor.[/quote]Not only that but a guy Like Fleener is not just a TE. I hate hearing that. The guy averaged almost 20 YPC and scored 10 Touchdowns. He would give the Giants even more room in the Middle of the Field because teams will be worried about him down the seam. Ballards a nice player but he does not threaten the seam like a guy like Fleener does. Giants are losing Manningham another weapon is needed

I think besides QB or Kicker any position is a possible first round pick.
    There's no such word as "Imgrate".

Veteran

When we pick we'll be looking at one of two scenarios.

1. multiple players with similar grades. If this happens we'll take the player from that group that best fills a need. (Nicks)

2. Someone we rated high slides and has a higher rating than everyone else that's left when we pick. We'll tale him. (Prince)

Of course you have to use your head too. If the player that slides is a QB, we may trade down if someone else wants him or pass on him if no one wants to trade.

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Morehead State"]

I would be shocked if we took a TE with our first round pick to play in an offense that doesn't use the TE much.* Makes no sense at all.</P>[/quote]

Doesnt use a TE much? Theyve been forcing UDFA and 5th rounders into 600 yard 5+ TD guys. To me thats an awful lot of use conidering the talent they have at the position has been pretty poor.[/quote]Not only that but a guy Like Fleener is not just a TE. I hate hearing that. The guy averaged almost 20 YPC and scored 10 Touchdowns. He would give the Giants even more room in the Middle of the Field because teams will be worried about him down the seam. Ballards a nice player but he does not threaten the seam like a guy like Fleener does. Giants are losing Manningham another weapon is needed[/quote]

I agree.

Furthermore the Giants have been trying to get more work to the TEs over the past 5 years. The Beckum pick was part of that. Problem was, our TEs for as nice a surprise as the unknowns have been, have been consistant enough (this includes Beckum, Boss and Ballard). They're either dropping the ball or injured.

I think the Giants are looking for a genuine and consistant offensive threat from the TE position.
    I have met you. You dont even look good in a winter coat let alone a wet t-shirt... -GameTime

Based on the number of times targeted, I agree that TE is not a major part of our passing attack, but I do see it as a very important part. I haven't checked any stats to confirm any numbers, but it seems to me that most all of our TE receptions come on important plays - continuing drives by converting on 3rd down; breaking skinny posts or wheel routes for big gains; td's in the red zone, etc. I think we need a couple good ones, whether they take over a game like Jimmy Graham and Gronkowski or not.

could it be that the reason we don't use the TE that much is because they aren't really that good at getting open. I know Ballard is doing a decent job but whether people want to admit it this is now a time when teams are using the TE a whole lot more in their offense, that is those that have one who can get open and catch the ball . As of right now we have Bear Pasco and after him we have 2 TEs on IR who have just had knee surgery and one more on the practice squad, that sounds to me like we definitely need to go after a starter at TE...

[quote user="JesseJames"]could it be that the reason we don't use the TE that much is because they aren't really that good at getting open. I know Ballard is doing a decent job but whether people want to admit it this is now a time when teams are using the TE a whole lot more in their offense, that is those that have one who can get open and catch the ball . As of right now we have Bear Pasco and after him we have 2 TEs on IR who have just had knee surgery and one more on the practice squad, that sounds to me like we definitely need to go after a starter at TE...[/quote]

Ding ding ding.

+ Reply to Thread