+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LINVAL JOSEPH JUSTIFIES THE GIANTS' FAITH IN HIM

LINVAL JOSEPH JUSTIFIES THE GIANTS' FAITH IN HIM

"The New York Giants
    drafted Linval
    Joseph
    out of East Carolina in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft they
    were hoping the massive 6-foot-4, 328-pound defensive tackle would turn into a
    run-stuffing force in the middle of their defense.

There was some concern in the fan base when Joseph barely played as a rookie,
    getting in on only 63 snaps and making eight tackles. In 2011, however, Joseph
    blossomed/ He statred 15 games after Barry Cofield
    left via free agency, made 49 tackles and had two sacks.

How good was Joseph against the run? Pro Football Focus ranked him fifth in the league among
    defensive tackles in its 'Run Stop Percentage' statistic. The Run Stop
    Percentage stat determines the number of times a defender has caused an
    offensive failure as a percentage of how many plays he is in on run defense. By
    PFF's calculations Joseph did that 8.7 percent of the time, the same number as
    New England's Vince
    Wilfork

You might also want to know that out of the 46 defensive tackles who played
    at least 200 snaps in run defense the aforementioned Cofield placed 45th in the
    league in Run Stop Percentage, making such plays just 2.8 percent of the
    time."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: LINVAL JOSEPH JUSTIFIES THE GIANTS' FAITH IN HIM

Just goes to show you that a players ability can be made much stronger or much weaker depending on the system.

Cofield is an effective DT in his prime. Problem is, he is playing out of place.

I'm loving me some Linval.

[quote user="Spedracer"]Just goes to show you that a players ability can be made much stronger or much weaker depending on the system.

Cofield is an effective DT in his prime. Problem is, he is playing out of place.

I'm loving me some Linval.[/quote]
    And Wilfork is a NT and is ranked 5th -- that's amazing for a NT.

Cofield is awesome -- would love to see him as a Giant again one day.

I'm very happy we have Joseph.

Great read. Linval is a beast. Hope he's a giant for many years to come .

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]LINVAL JOSEPH JUSTIFIES THE GIANTS' FAITH IN HIM

"The New York Giants
    drafted Linval
    Joseph

How good was Joseph against the run? Pro Football Focus ranked him fifth in the league among
    New England's Vince
    Wilfork

time."

[/quote]

Joseph had a good year but not as good as that article suggests.

We were 19th in run defense this year and Joseph was 9th in tackles among DTs (27th overall among Dline).

Pro Football Focus is comprised of a few fans who take TV footage and try to dissect each and every play. They have no qualifying NFL experience (they were interviewed today on Mike and Mike / ESPN Radio).

They also don't understand Oline and Dline gap responsibility and strategy well in what I've seen of their analysis.

I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]LINVAL JOSEPH JUSTIFIES THE GIANTS' FAITH IN HIM

"The New York Giants
    drafted Linval
    Joseph

New England's Vince
    Wilfork

time."

[/quote] Reese made the right call here. Linval is on his way to being a better player then Coefield and makes a fraction of the money ,for now. I liked Coefield but he wasnt worth the contract the Skins gave him

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]LINVAL JOSEPH JUSTIFIES THE GIANTS' FAITH IN HIM

"The New York Giants
    drafted Linval
    Joseph

New England's Vince
    Wilfork

time."

[/quote]

We were 19th in run defense this year and Joseph was 9th in tackles among DTs (27th overall among Dline).

Pro Football Focus is comprised of a few fans who take TV footage and try to dissect each and every play. They have no qualifying NFL experience (they were interviewed today on Mike and Mike / ESPN Radio).

They also don't understand Oline and Dline gap responsibility and strategy well in what I've seen of their analysis.[/quote]

It's just information. Individual statistics are meaningless to me until a player retires and is being considered for the HOF. Still, in a system where developing players is close to an art form, I think he'sa keeper and will be joined by Marvin Austin this season.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]LINVAL JOSEPH JUSTIFIES THE GIANTS' FAITH IN HIM

"The New York Giants
    drafted Linval
    Joseph

New England's Vince
    Wilfork

time."

[/quote]

They also don't understand Oline and Dline gap responsibility and strategy well in what I've seen of their analysis.[/quote]

It's just information.* Individual statistics are meaningless to me until a player retires and is being considered for the HOF.* Still, in a system where developing players is close to an art form, I think he'sa keeper and will be joined by Marvin Austin this season.
    [/quote]

Can't argue with you there.

I hope Austin shines.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

I think Linval will be much better than Cofield.

He gets constant push up the middle with ease it seems. He pushed Mangold around like a rag doll both games. The kid is stronger than an ox...

He made big strides last season... can only imagine how much more prepared he will be next season.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

"Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

the problem in having joseph as a 2nd rd pick and not playing rookie season brought me and many of us bad memories of the 2nd rd DT '03 also joseph..kennedy, who was on gmen roster this yr, along with dwayne robertson and the vikings williams were high DT in '03 draft..joseph was the worse