+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Make the case: FOR or AGAINST bringing in this TE

I want to hear from anyone on this board why we shouldn't take this guy....I would also like to hear why we should...I have my opinion, what is yours?

AS PER ROTOWORLD & PFT:
    Martellus Bennett - TE - Cowboys Free agent Martellus Bennett confirmed on PFT Live Friday that he wants to be a clear-cut starter on his next team.
    Bennett has more upside than any tight end on the free agent market, so he may get his wish. "I want to be the No. 1 guy," Bennett said. "I feel like I'm a 60-catch-plus guy on a team, so I want to be in a system where I could do (that)." Bennett is already one of the league's top blocking tight ends. He has the size (6'6/267) and speed (4.6s) to be a receiving threat, as well. Source: PFT Live on NBC Sports Mar 9 - 2:24

#1: Bennett always seems to get the best of us...addition by subtraction alone is good, but...
    #2...Big target with speed and decent hands and excels at blocking.
    #3...weakens Cowboys by them not having him...oh, I made that point....sorry, but necessary

Re: Make the case: FOR or AGAINST bringing in this TE

I would take him here. They have always talked about his potential. Hopefully a change of scenery would bring out the best in him. Plus he should come pretty cheap by todays standards.

If he can stop being an idiot and improve his work ethic, he might be a top 5 TE. His run blocking has been solid, his hands a little inconsistent, but being a top guy with a lot of targets can change that.

Well if he wants playing time the Giants would be a good place for him. With Ballard hurt whoever steps in here will be the guy. if he is willing to take less money to get a starting role and play with a great team he could get his chance. Something tells me he will chose more money though. He is an outstanding run blocker he would fit the Giants well

[quote user="hungrrrry"]I want to hear from anyone on this board why we shouldn't take this guy....I would also like to hear why we should...I have my opinion, what is yours?

AS PER ROTOWORLD & PFT:
    Martellus Bennett - TE - Cowboys Free agent Martellus Bennett confirmed on PFT Live Friday that he wants to be a clear-cut starter on his next team.
    Bennett has more upside than any tight end on the free agent market, so he may get his wish. "I want to be the No. 1 guy," Bennett said. "I feel like I'm a 60-catch-plus guy on a team, so I want to be in a system where I could do (that)." Bennett is already one of the league's top blocking tight ends. He has the size (6'6/267) and speed (4.6s) to be a receiving threat, as well. Source: PFT Live on NBC Sports Mar 9 - 2:24

#1: Bennett always seems to get the best of us...addition by subtraction alone is good, but...
    #2...Big target with speed and decent hands and excels at blocking.
    #3...weakens Cowboys by them not having him...oh, I made that point....sorry, but necessary[/quote]

Cons:

1) Not consistant

2) Poor work ethic.

3) Wants to be "the guy" and we don't run that kind of system for TEs.

Pros:

1) Awesome upside if potential is realized and the Giants feel they can get more out of him and keep him happy.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Isn't he an RFA though? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere...if not however I think it'd be a great signing. He definitely has solid upside and would fit our system well. He does not have the stats to demand big money as he has not scored a TD since his rookie year, so he'd almost definitely come cheap. Especially if given an opportunity to start. We arguably have the biggest need for a TE in the league, so it'd also be a good situation for him to walk into. I say let's bring him in for a visit! Then we can truly go BPA at 32

All-Pro

well this is the kinda player we could justify ... he's stuck behind Witten, but he may be ready to be a #1 TE, so it would make sense ... i think that other TE deal we are hearing about won't cost us much money

Giants have better leadership & structure. Maybe he can prosper here...

[quote user="BornBrooklyn"]Giants have better leadership & structure. Maybe he can prosper here...[/quote]I tend to agree...with Coughlin, I believe he inspires and encourages a good work ethic and since Coughlin's policy is just that and it is instilled in all these players, it would make for a positive environment for Bennett to work out his ills...if he truely has any!

I'd like to see this move made, especially with Ballard signed for another year. Bennett could see some great production and be encouraged to have a break out season...when Ballard comes back, he could assume more of the blocking duties as Bennett transform more into a blocking/pass-catching TE

I like it. If JR can work the $$ part of it into the system, he gives us alot of what we need to find in the off season.
    No one remembers who came in second.