+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can Cruz be to Eli what Harrison was to Peyton?

Just finished watching top 10 pass combos of all time and Peyton to marvin was #1...

Cruz strikes me as being very similar to Marvin's game. Both sort of smaller type wr's but use their body so well and are able to work underneath and deep routes, and both could take a 5 yd catch 80 yards for a TD...

I'm not speaking in terms of breaking the records Peyton to Marvin set, I'm talking more along the dominance and ability to not be stopped...this past season was special, I see no reason why it can't be consistent for years...it also helps we got Nicks drawing coverage like Wayne did for a long portion of that Colts run...

thoughts? what similarities do you see in other combos to Eli2Cruz or even Eli2Nicks?
    "The OL is good enough for most of Eli's supposed peers..."

Re: Can Cruz be to Eli what Harrison was to Peyton?

When I think of Victor Cruz Marvin Harrison doesn't come to mind.

I don't really see the similarities there.

I do think that Eli and Cruz could make hey for a bunch of years. So whatevers thats called.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

I was going to say that Cruz can be to Eli what Wes Welker is to Tom Brady but Cruz doesn't drop critical passes.

Not sure I see many similarities between the two. Cruz did his work out of the slot; he'd make short to mid-range grabs, make a couple of guys miss and then tear off toward the endzone.
    Harrison was more of a prototypical #1 -- he lined up wide and ran deep for the most part. Nicks is far more comparable.

In terms of Eli to Cruz dominating the way Peyton to Harrison did, I'm not sure. Without Mario in there stretching coverages it remains to be seen if Cruz can have the same success.

I'd like to think so but we are going to need to pay him a big contract to keep him that long, ohh AND we will need to pay Nicks...we are going to have some issues!!!

Veteran

im not sure i see the analogy. I feel like Nicks is the go to guy at this point, and he's the better route runner anyway

at least to me it seemed Eli trusted Cruz more to make the big play than he did any other receiver.

and Cruz responded well to that trust!

Cruz was special all year but the nfc championship game he showed hes a big time player!

yea i thinkEli and Cruz can hookup and be a very powerful duo!

Yup I definitely do. I have made this comparison a couple times in the Steve Smith threads we've posted in. I think we both feel Cruz has a lot more potential outside of the slot than many do, and I've said he can be similar to our Marvin Harrison (as a Z reciever). Glad you see the similarities now as well.

I would actually like Cruz to move out wide. Jernigan is a slot receiver through and through.

Starter

[quote user="BigBlue1971"]

at least to me it seemed Eli trusted Cruz more to make the big play than he did any other receiver.

and Cruz responded well to that trust!

Cruz was special all year but the nfc championship game he showed hes a big time player!

yea i think*Eli and Cruz can hook*up and be a very powerful duo!*

[/quote]

It seemed to me that it was the 1st time in a couple seasons he trusted someone other than Nicks with the big play. In my opinion it is the 2 of them that make the combination so great, and yes MM was good too but I believe we can find more 3rd WR but Nicks and Cruz are special.