+ Reply to Thread

Are the Giants really mediocre or are they just lazy?

The thing that really been getting under my skin about the Packers game is the fact that it seems this team can play with anyone when it wants to.

I mean I don't get it we play poorly against bad teams, lack of effort, focus etc then play good teams hard and with heart.

we're flat one week hyped up and playing hard the next and you never know which team is coming from one week to the next.

i guess i don't know, are we just a bad team that plays well occasionally or are we just lazy and think we can turn it on when we want?

Very frustrating!!

Re: Are the Giants really mediocre or are they just lazy?

They just aren't good, let's stop kidding ourselves.

The secondary is severely depleted, much like 2003.

Offensive line is either old, average, or injured, much like 2003.

Going into the season the linebackers were overrated.

The defensive line has been overrated for years. Tuck and osi are just old now. They have that one mirage sack that makes you think they're still good. JPP, kiwi, and joseph are pretty good. But the krakken nonsense has to stop because osi, tuck, canty and bernard suck, and they eat up all the defensive salary.

Receivers are good, but they aren't big and able to step up and make that sure catch. Nicks can but he's hurt all the time.

Runningback position is probably the worst in the league. The only good player is the one they're making play with a broken foot.

Tight ends are extremely sub par. Ballard has his bizzaro ballard games, and then goes back to being a big doof.

I think the team is very average, unathletic, or dumb. I don't really know who should be accountable for that. Should Coughlin be commended for staying at .500 with these idiots, or should he be the goat?

Maybe the fact that we can play well against good teams and struggle against bad teams(maybe due to effort) is what thus makes us mediocre.

Good teams are good consistently.

Veteran

To paraphrasea line from Office Space "Its not that they are lazy, its that they just don't care"

It comes down to these guys being human.

when they play a crap team, maybe you dog it on a play, or let a tackle get away, or not try as hard to get to the QB. Because after all, you are better then these guys right? You'll win anyway right?

Im not saying this is okay by any means, but you can see where this team does this. The so called "playing down" to competition.

And then, they go ahead and play great against a good team cause they know there is no margin for error. The Saints game was an anomaly.

Its on the coaching staff to make sure this doesn't happen. And it appears the players aren't listing, because we always do this. Sometimes we'll win, and sometimes we won't

I would say a little of both. First we do not have studs in key positions. The OL struggles, Diehl, McK, Beatty, are not maulers and there is not a game that goes by that Eli nearly gets killed. RB's are average. WR are solid but hampered by injuries. TE is average. DL is solid but there is something missing. LB's is just out right awful. Have not addressed this position in a long time. DB's injuries have hurt but they should not be making ongoing mistakes such as Grant, Rolle, Ross who seem to continuously miscommunicate with each other. We lack significant depth and that goes back to the draft. We have not had great drafts, good yes, but not great.

[quote user="jaxnygmen"]I would say a little of both. First we do not have studs in key positions. The OL struggles, Diehl, McK, Beatty, are not maulers and there is not a game that goes by that Eli nearly gets killed. RB's are average. WR are solid but hampered by injuries. TE is average. DL is solid but there is something missing. LB's is just out right awful. Have not addressed this position in a long time. DB's injuries have hurt but they should not be making ongoing mistakes such as Grant, Rolle, Ross who seem to continuously miscommunicate with each other. We lack significant depth and that goes back to the draft. We have not had great drafts, good yes, but not great.[/quote]I think you are right. We lack stud players in key positions. Only Snee is above average on the OL. On defense, only JPP is playing like a stud on the DL (a rookie no less). Our LB's are C grade or less and the secondary is ordinary at best. I want to blame the coaches but maybe I need to blame the GM.
    No one remembers who came in second.

[quote user="EJ Blue"]Maybe the fact that we can play well against good teams and struggle against bad teams(maybe due to effort) is what thus makes us mediocre.

Good teams are good consistently.
    [/quote]

This, but it leads me to believe playing poorly against bad teams is mental (aka coaching).

The only other possibility is that they overachieve against good teams.

Maybe it's both.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="BigBlueFanNJ"]The thing that really been getting under my skin about the Packers game is the fact that it seems this team can play with anyone when it wants to.

I mean I don't get it we play poorly against bad teams, lack of effort, focus etc then play good teams hard and with heart.

we're flat one week hyped up and playing hard the next and you never know which team is coming from one week to the next.

i guess i don't know, are we just a bad team that plays well occasionally or are we just lazy and think we can turn it on when we want?

Very frustrating!![/quote]

I think if you show heart, energy, and effort on just about every play then your talent will shine through.. I think this team is very talented .

If I had to pick I would say Lazy, over confident at times, and a dis belief in the coaching.

All-Pro

I don't want to but into them being good because they let you down so many times. However, they did beat the Patriots and came really close to beating the 49ers in the road and Green Bay this past weekend. The only game they looked really bad was the Saints. So if you say what if Boley doesn't get hurt and what if the refs didn't call such a bad game they might have 2 more wins against very good teams. Then again they looked bad against some bad teams. This team confuses me.

You can also look at it this way. At the end of that game this past weekend it became clear just how depleted they where due to injuries. That is my biggest concern going forward. Can they cover all of the weapons Dallas has?

I also question the coaching staff. No, this is not a get rid of TC rant, I like TC. However, Osi should never have taken over for JPP and Boothe should have been starting at Center. I hope they use the same OL this week because last week is as good as they have looked all year.